Sponsored by:

Help needed - power steering hose

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:56 PM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help needed - power steering hose

So I've removed the engine from my 2004 C2, and am having fun doing all sorts of preventive maintenance (IMSB, AOS, RMS, water pump, LT thermostat, etc.).

Removing the engine went fairly well, with one exception: the smaller of the power steering hoses. Despite enormous applied force using good tools, the brass fitting that joing the flexible part of the hose to the steel line in the chassis could not be separated, and I had to cut the hose. The good news here is that this hose was leaking from its lower end, and was probably going to need replacement anyway. The bad news was the cost of a new hose: $240.

With the engine out and better access, I was able to finally separate the brass fitting. It has been mangled a bit by the attempts to separate it, but appears still serviceable. It's a mystery why a fitting that incorporates an O-ring for sealing should be assembled with such force - roughly 5 times what a rational person would expect.

I now have the new hose in hand. Interestingly, it came equipped with both halves of the brass fitting. It again took huge torque to separate the halves. Working in a shop with a vise and after applying some heat, I got this apart without mangling the brass.

My questions:

What is the name of this fitting? Who makes it?

When I re-assemble these fitting, will I need to use to same massive torque? Or can I get by with a sensible amount of force and still expect no leaks?

Is there a way to remove the mangled half from the steel tube in the chassis, and replace it with the new (unmangled) version?

I've included the following images, in hopes they appear correctly. (They did when I was uploading them, but now in preview they look highly truncated. Can anyone tell me how to upload images so that the whole image shows?)

Brass fitting, assembled

Brass fitting, separated

Two internal rings

Quick Reply: Help needed - power steering hose