Sponsored by:

(another) weird noise coming from the front

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (another) weird noise coming from the front

I notice when the car gets cold, I hear a metal on metal sound that pulses about twice a second when turning the steering wheel, it gets louder the more the wheel is turned. Only happens when cold outside (say, < 40F), goes away after it warms up. It seems to be coming from front passenger side. Any ideas on what to look for? The power steering fluid level is good.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2018, 05:50 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by boingolover
I notice when the car gets cold, I hear a metal on metal sound that pulses about twice a second when turning the steering wheel, it gets louder the more the wheel is turned. Only happens when cold outside (say, < 40F), goes away after it warms up. It seems to be coming from front passenger side. Any ideas on what to look for? The power steering fluid level is good.

Thanks
I hear that it is recommended to completely change the power steer fluid every 50000 miles. You might want to do that before anything else. Then check for leakage either end of the rack and pinion.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:58 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
I hear that it is recommended to completely change the power steer fluid every 50000 miles. You might want to do that before anything else. Then check for leakage either end of the rack and pinion.
I'm right at 50k miles, I'm sure this couldn't hurt. I'll start there. Thanks!

Quick Reply: (another) weird noise coming from the front