Sponsored by:

Porsche Battery Maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Porsche Battery Maintainer

I just bought one for my 996/986. Can I leave it on while the car cover is on? Any ventilation problems? Where do you guys run the wires through after plugging it in the lighter socket? Do you leave the window slightly open? I never used one of these before. Thanks
Old 12-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using one for the past couple months and it's worth every penny in my opinion. I run it thru the passenger side window (left slightly open). No problem using it with a car cover because the battery will slowly vent the gasses thru a vent tube on the bottom of the 996.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:09 PM
996 AERO
Instructor

Is this the same as a trickle charger? If not where can they be purchased on the net and how much.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Yes, it's the Porsche battery maintainer. I paid $52 for it two months ago. Sun Coast Porsche I believe.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:01 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I just run it under the bottom of the door. Doesn't seem to get pinched, and works fine that way on our Boxster and tt. And, I leave the cover on. AS
Old 12-17-2003, 11:42 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Ran mine on my 986S for a few years and now on my C4S. Put it through the window/frame and did not even bother leaving the window down a bit....never really pinched it much. Put on the car cover and forget about it (good luck). Car springs to life in the spring as if it was only turned off yesterday.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my Boxster there is a notch in the bottom of the door weather seal for the cord. Jeff
Old 12-17-2003, 01:56 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the Porsche maintainer with the window slightly cracked. I do that more for a little air getting into the car. Like others I keep mine on all the time, and it works great over the last 4 winters. I made sure the battery was full of water, not leaking, vented properly, and monthly I check water level, plus condition of battery. Overkill, perhaps, several years ago, I had the battery leak, and it caused a slight problem. Lastly, I do leave my hood slightly ajar.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Arthur
Pro

I've had the same battery since 1998 using the trickle charger. No kidding!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:50 AM
colin.plastow
Addict
Rennlist Member

A battery maintainer isn't quite the same thing as a trickle charger. Well a decent one isn't at least. A trickle charger does just what it suggests. It continuously supplies a small charge. It does that even when the battery is fully charged. Although that's not ideal, as long as the trickle current is quite low a car battery will usually put up with it. A decent battery maintainer will charge the battery only until it gets to a certain voltage. Ideally that voltage would be temperature dependant but doubt it's too important with a car battery. Different maintainers may do different things when the battery reaches the fully charged voltage. Some just turn off the charge until the voltage drops to a certain point others may go into a voltage float mode. Real fancy ($$$) ones seem to use clever pulsing techniques and others may do other things I suppose. I'm sure it's all very scientific but it seems to me that there's a certain amount of black magic involved with battery charging in general. For $80 I would hope and assume that the Porsche battery maintainer is not just a trickle charger.

Colin

P.S How odd that the spell checker doesn't like "Porsche" and has no suggestions for a correction.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:02 PM
Chucksta
Instructor

What happens if there is a power surge? Will the charger get fried or the car? Or both for that matter???

any ideas??
Old 12-21-2003, 06:31 PM
colin.plastow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Depends on the power surge and the charger I suppose but my guess is that it would take a pretty awful maintainer and a very large surge to do any damage to the car. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having such a problem. Maintainers have, by design, a regulator built in and any normal kind of surges should be taken care of as part of normal operation. Big surges should just blow a fuse or something. If it's something you're worried about just plug it into a surge protected power bar. A lightning strike might be a whole different story of course but if that happened I suspect you would have much bigger things to worry about.

Colin
Old 12-21-2003, 07:00 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Is it supposed to have green indicator when it is fully charged? Mine started with a solid red led and now it has no indicator light whatsoever. I lost the instructions, so what does that mean?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:57 AM
BSC
Instructor

Since my car is in the garage for its first winter with me as its owner, this is sounding like a good idea. What is the exact "part" name I should look for? Can I get this anywhere other than my dealer? Thanks guys.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:09 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

BMW has one that works! It may be less $$$. I don't remember. It's a lighter socket model.

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery Maintainer