Roll Bar for the 996/GT2/3 Mk2

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:00 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Roll Bar for the 996/GT2/3 Mk2

Roll Bar for the 996/GT2/3 Mk2

Being 6'2", I appreciate leg room in my GT3/Mk2, and drive with the stock seat in the fully extended aft position on the street. In the past, I have had BBI and Tequipment bars. Both restricted rearward travel of the stock GT3 seat, the Tequipment more so than the BBI. Both bars have gone in and subsequently come out of the car. I have identified three (3) other bolt in bars, with all three (3) attaching their rearward portion to the rear upper strut mount, a good thing I feel. GMG and DASsport claim they do not restrict rearward travel of the stock seat, Cantrell is not so specific, only saying that the stock seat can be used with their respective bars.

My question, anyone installed a GMG, DASsport or Cantrell bar into a 996 or 996 GT2/3 Mk2 and have been able to fully extend the stock seats rearward? Any shared experience will be appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
GT3 Roll Bars 12.4.17.xls (48.0 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Martin S.; 12-06-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 AM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can confirm that a DAS Sport roll bar does not restrict standard seat travel in my 996.2 C2.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have issue with my RSS and I'm the same height.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:13 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

I have Dassport, I have no issues, but I am only 5'8"
The Indy that use to work on my car was over 6'5", he was cramped.
When you are deciding which bar, i can tell you a couple of the things that made me decide on Dassport.
1) The cross bars do not interfere with rear view mirror, I sat in other cars with different brands and the diagonal bar was right in the way of my vision.
2) The rear mounts go on to struts and have a cross bar, see photo, this acts as a rear strut brace, it really does stiffen the car
3) The front loop attaches with plates that sit right on top of sub frame of car, much more solid than the type that utilize the seat belt bolt, in the event of a roll over the bolts shear strength are holding up the bar.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks for the feedback

I had a DASsport bar in my 993, Colin was great to work with. Good to here that seat travel is not inhibited. I will ask DASsport to send me a pic of the front attachment points.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:29 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a GMG and seat travel (to the rear) is slightly reduced. - approx. 1" - 1.5".
Old 12-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Good info...

Originally Posted by David993S
I have a GMG and seat travel (to the rear) is slightly reduced. - approx. 1" - 1.5".
This is NOT what GMG claims in their advertising. They specifically say that seat travel is not restricted. 1" to 1/5" of reduced seat travel is a big thing for some of us larger drivers. Invaluable Information, thanks so much!!!!

This is copy from their web site:
Designed to work standard reclining seats or GT3 fixed back seats offering drivers the ability to move the seat all the way back (Not possible with the factory Tequipment Rollbar).
Attached Files
File Type: xls
GT3 Roll Bars 12.4.17.xls (48.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 07:02 PM
David993S
Drifting

Originally Posted by Martin S.
This is NOT what GMG claims in their advertising. They specifically say that seat travel is not restricted. 1" to 1/5" of reduced seat travel is a big thing for some of us larger drivers. Invaluable Information, thanks so much!!!!

This is copy from their web site:
Designed to work standard reclining seats or GT3 fixed back seats offering drivers the ability to move the seat all the way back (Not possible with the factory Tequipment Rollbar).
They may claim that but I guarantee you it limited my rearward travel. While I'm not as tall as you I needed as much rearward travel as possible to make it easier to get in/out when wearing my prosthetic legs. So I definitely notice an inch or so less room. Plus....my shop confirmed it for me when they installed it.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default The plot thickens

They may claim that but I guarantee you it limited my rearward travel. While I'm not as tall as you I needed as much rearward travel as possible to make it easier to get in/out when wearing my prosthetic legs. So I definitely notice an inch or so less room. Plus....my shop confirmed it for me when they installed it.
GMG may be less than candid in the copy on their web site. This is a sorry state....thank you David 993S for the update.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Vipertag313
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Revival bump, but the more info the merrier to share on this topic.

Just installed a RSS 901 in my 996 with the Sport Seats, I believe they are the same to stock gt3? No clearance issues, full travel back for the drivers seat. Passenger seat does hit the bar at full rear extension in the mid harness bar. Requires the seat back to be more upright not to hit.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:37 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

I am running the Agency Power bar and it appears to limit rearward travel of the seat very little, using GT3 Euro seats. It does contact the seat frame on the portion of the bar that the seat belt bolt passes thru as a rearward "stop". I am not sure how it would be on your stock sport seats, probably would depend on the seat back angle which is not an issue w/ the GT3 Euro seats. I have a set of sport seats but have never run them w/ the bar installed. Some people "poopoo" this bar but I found it to be well made, good hardware, and bolts right in with no issues.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Update: The RSS 931 Competition Roll Bar is in, no seat interference that I have detected. Probably because the hoop mounts to the chassis, 3 bolts each side, and not to the seat belt attachment point at the base of the "B" pillar...this is where most bars, other than the Cantrell and the RSS 931, are mounted. I convinced myself that six (6) little holes would be acceptable.

Note the enclosed pic is off the RSS website. I'll shoot some of my car this weekend.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
RSS 931 Comp Roll Bar.doc (42.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:26 AM
David993S
Drifting

^^ That looks nice Martin. I wish I had gone that route.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

MikeAWD has a BBI bar FS right now and I've been on the fence about picking it up since I'm going to be in South FL this weekend. I like that it uses the rear shock towers but also allows Bose, but seat travel limitation would be a big turn-off for me as I am also over 6'.

I also am in a pickle because I don't see how I could get in the back to adjust my rear konis once the bar is in.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:30 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

^^ That looks nice Martin. I wish I had gone that route.
David,

The trade off for the RSS 931 and Cantrell bar, you need to drill 6 holes into the chassis. I can live with that, it's my car after all. It's all a matter of personal preference. Safety is paramount to all of us, but what really drove my decision was seat travel. I bought. the car with the BBI bar, thought the Tequipment bar would be better for seat travel, not really. So I bit the bullet for the RSS 931. That bar is also heavy...just another trade off. Another driver, Stable Energy out of N J had the bar on sale...no CA sales tax, loving that. The trade off, $300 in freight...a little more than the sales tax, but I always feel better dodging sales tax. The State of CA has had enough of our family's hard earned money.

Quick Reply: Roll Bar for the 996/GT2/3 Mk2