Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to diagnose bad engine/tranny mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 09:42 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default How to diagnose bad engine/tranny mounts?

Hi,

I hear a "clunk" sometimes when shifting during "aggressive" driving. The car also shakes during idle (~slight below 700 rpm).

I have visually inspected engine and transmission mounts, they look good to me. The previous owner also replaced them not to long ago.

Is there any other way of diagnose a bad mount?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogrill
Hi,

I hear a "clunk" sometimes when shifting during "aggressive" driving. The car also shakes during idle (~slight below 700 rpm).

I have visually inspected engine and transmission mounts, they look good to me. The previous owner also replaced them not to long ago.

Is there any other way of diagnose a bad mount?

Thanks
Worn motor mounts will droop noticeably so your exhaust pipes will be low compared to the bumper (assuming they are aligned correctly; there is plenty of adjustment in how they attach to the mufflers). The motor mounts are very easy to replace and require no special tools.

The transmission mount is harder to diagnose, as it can be quite shot and still look okay. You can try putting a jack under the transmission and see how far you can lift it before the whole car starts to move. If it's more than 1/2" or so, I'd say your mount is done. Other than that, it's kind of a feel thing. If there is excessive drivetrain movement when you are on/off throttle, changing gears, etc. you just kind of feel it. There's not a great quantitative test that I know if. With that said:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-for-rent.html

Quick Reply: How to diagnose bad engine/tranny mounts?