Sponsored by:

Got those orange plugs 273-1P now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 12:29 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And to think that elsewhere on this board there is a thread where 996 owners are making fun of "Ricer" mods.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JimB,

Have you confused the Orange Cap mod with a Ricer Mod? The Orange Cap mod allows the owner to bypass the noise-reducing silencer box required for the 996 to meet European noise-pollution specs. It also enables smoother airflow into the engine for a modest performance increase. True it isn't as noticeable as say a turbo charger or a super charger, but the Orange Cap mod is a far cry from say a laundry rack drying wing stuck on the back or a coffee can exhaust pipe, lighted windshield washer nozzles, or faux carbon fiber hood, etc.

I would also posit that a car with the orange cap is visually indistinguishable from a car without, thus the bling bling factor of most ricer mods is not present either. Assuming of course that someone doesn't make a "I've got the Orange Cap" bumper sticker and slap it on their car...
Old 12-23-2003, 01:22 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
"Have you confused the Orange Cap mod with a Ricer Mod?..."
and i wrote my original post with a straight face, but ninerguru reminds us of how pathetic we sound at times...thats why i love this board, its the cyberworld version of bench racing. you have to know how to read between the lines...and with time, you know whos full of it and who's opinion you can trust

in all seriousness, the bypass mod is noticeable and it
does sound bitchin.

Old 12-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Webtool
Instructor

Ok, so if we can't have the bumper sticker, why not a badge and air intake complete with special grill to deliniate the special plugged cars from the great masses of those without.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:58 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Relax GR! I was just kidding. But since you brought it up, I don't think there is a big difference between kids doing silly things to their Hondas to make them sound or look better (in their eyes) and 90% of the modifications discussed on this board. Having said that, I say go for it. It's your car and your money and you should enjoy it however you want.
Jim
Old 12-23-2003, 04:56 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Originally posted by JimB
Relax GR! I was just kidding. But since you brought it up, I don't think there is a big difference between kids doing silly things to their Hondas to make them sound or look better (in their eyes) and 90% of the modifications discussed on this board. Having said that, I say go for it. It's your car and your money and you should enjoy it however you want.
Jim
90% eh? I had no idea that 90% of the mods discussed here fell into the ricer category. I better start talking about slappin on turbos or sumthin...

The post before yours makes me think we need a special "Orange Crush" emblem...

Quick Reply: Got those orange plugs 273-1P now what?