Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Did Porsche take care of your RMS out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did Porsche take care of your RMS out of warranty?

My baby is going to the shop next week for an RMS leak at 50,000miles and no warranty, so my question is: did Porsche still take care of it for you guys even when out of warranty due to the fact that its a know design flaw of the M96.01-03 engines?
Thanks
Old 12-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case, Porsche UK did it under their good will scheme but they asked me to contribute £225 towards it.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Arthur
Pro

Carlos, I am glad you phrased the question that way. I've been dying to know what constitutes a recall on this. As Viken pointed out, if it is a safety issue, then a recall is issued. I received a notice on a factory recall re: the rear deck needing a different coat of paint. Apparently the rear deck was going to rust if this was not remedied. Another recall was the gas cap. Apparently the warning lights go off. Neither posted a significant safety issue. Now the RMS issue. If you do not fix this, does the motor fail later? If the measured "defect" is beyond a certain calibration scale on the caliper, does it then need a new/reconditioned motor? If the RMS fails, and the measured defect was less than the "expected tolerances", then a new motor is not issued. If that is the case, why did it fail in the first place? Long winded, but I 've searched quietly through the search engine here and cannot find a legitimate answer. Hope PAG reads this and helps clarify things.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:53 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

If the rear main seal leaks it has failed. Apparently it leaks into the transmission housing that has the clutch/pressure plate.

Your clutch begins to slip. Depending on the amount of leak (it would get worse & worse) the transmission could probably could fail to propel the car.

Personally, I don't have evidence of a leak, BUT - when I down shift to pass my clutch slips from 4000rpm.

This issue is particularly aggrevating to me, that a premium car company doesn't engineer a fix. Hopefully, they will fix it for you gratis - we all deserve that.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:29 PM
CarlosR
Instructor

Carlos, sorry to hear about your RMS problems. Mine just turned 50K, but no evidence of any problem, at least so far. (Knock on wood!) Hope you get it taken care of at no charge.

Off-topic subject: I just saw "Los Lunes al Sol" (Mondays in the Sun) last night on DVD. I think that was filmed around where you live, right? Not a lot of scenery shots, but what I saw looked very nice.

=Carlos=
Old 12-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, I'll post what happens next week

CarlosR, I didn't see the movie because the people who filmed it are very politically active and I didn't think I'd like the way they protrayed whole thing, was it good?... Anyway it was filmed in Asturias I think which is close, about 400miles east along the coast. This part is even nicer and better weather
Old 12-15-2003, 12:57 AM
CarlosR
Instructor

The movie credits said it was filmed in Vigo and Pontevedra. I thought you were in Vigo, but maybe I'm confused.

It was an OK movie, not a great one. And you're right, it was very ideologically biased. (I also had to put my personal politics aside to watch it.)

OK, we now end the movie reviews and return you to your regularly scheduled Porsche content.

=Carlos=
Old 12-15-2003, 03:10 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

You are right on both counts! I'm in Vigo (and Pontevedra is next door), I didn't know it was filmed here instead. Maybe I'll watch it if I have a chance, thanks
Old 12-16-2003, 10:22 PM
996 AERO
Instructor

Yes, mine was also done out of warranty at no cost to me. MY99 with 29,000 miles on the clock.

Quick Reply: Did Porsche take care of your RMS out of warranty?