Sponsored by:

changing spark plugs... 5 out of 6 ain't bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:44 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Montychristo128
I found I could get to all of them without removing anything by dropping the engine down on the mounts. Not "easy easy", but not too bad.
I'm having trouble picturing what that gains you, since the exhaust is rigidly attached to the engine, and is the main thing in the way. Where to you pick up extra space by lowering the engine?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 608 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Agreed, 1st timers expect to spend more than the couple of hours you see being thrown around.
I tend to stick with this ideology for a lot of repairs. It's easy to watch a DIY video and be like, oh that's cake, then next thing you know, running in and out for tools, how to squeeze hand/swivels into tight spots, can't get that one son of a bitch bolt broke loose, etc.

It's fun once you do it the first time, because any time after that feels like a fly through.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
I'm having trouble picturing what that gains you, since the exhaust is rigidly attached to the engine, and is the main thing in the way. Where to you pick up extra space by lowering the engine?

It was a while ago, but I got them all out without touching the exhaust or bumper (in the vain hope that the death tick was just a loose plug!!). My car is having the engine rebuilt at the moment, so not here, but I will look in the garage to see if I can find the tools I used. It definitely helped me.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I did coils and plugs on my 2003 C4S in a couple hours without removing the bumper or anything. Just basic shop tools nothing too fancy. No offense but if you can’t change the coils and plugs with basic tools your not qualified to work on your car.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:57 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

Ive done it once with bumper and mufflers on and once with bumper on and mufflers off.

Half the time with mufflers off (Thank you Fister) but still not a technical job. Patients and the right tools.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:11 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"I did coils and plugs on my 2003 C4S in a couple hours without removing the bumper or anything. Just basic shop tools nothing too fancy. No offense but if you can’t change the coils and plugs with basic tools your not qualified to work on your car."

please give me your e-mail address so that I can send you hate messages.... likely referencing the "size of your hands"... (a little presidential kidding of course... no actual hate involved!)
Old 11-03-2017, 09:32 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be fair, I also thought you were getting pretty fancy there with your pillow, hot bath, and Burgundy (probably a fancy pants Grand Cru no less).
Old 11-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred
"I did coils and plugs on my 2003 C4S in a couple hours without removing the bumper or anything. Just basic shop tools nothing too fancy. No offense but if you can’t change the coils and plugs with basic tools your not qualified to work on your car."

please give me your e-mail address so that I can send you hate messages.... likely referencing the "size of your hands"... (a little presidential kidding of course... no actual hate involved!)
Haha sorry dude, I just don’t see all the fuss.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:56 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are some maintenance I items have have done myself, all of which were easier than changing coils and plugs if you don't remove the wheels, bumper, and mufflers.

- Alternator
- Starter
- Water pump
- Oil filler tube
- Thermostat
- ATF fluid and filter on a 2002 Tip (there is a reason the dealer charges $800 for this job)
- Brakes
- Rear differential fluid
- Coolant flush and fill
- Brake fluid flush and fill
Old 11-04-2017, 05:09 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Here are some maintenance I items have have done myself, all of which were easier than changing coils and plugs if you don't remove the wheels, bumper, and mufflers.

- Alternator
- Starter
- Water pump
- Oil filler tube
- Thermostat
- ATF fluid and filter on a 2002 Tip (there is a reason the dealer charges $800 for this job)
- Brakes
- Coolant flush and fill
- Brake fluid flush and fill
- Alternator - couldn't get it off (that one long bolt) even with the engine out - but I didn't have to, so no big deal...didn't waste my time.
- Starter - removed it very easily with the engine out - after putting everything back together I realized I had forgotten to connect the main cable - quite a pain even with the engine out, but all of the intake apparatus in place...it's very tight in there.
- Water pump - did it with engine out...
- Oil filler tube - no need, but it would be tough - remove intake plenum (at least center section
- Thermostat - easy
- ATF fluid and filter on a 2002 Tip (there is a reason the dealer charges $800 for this job) - did it with the engine out...20 min to drain, 10 min to refill...
The rest is pretty much cake if you've got jack stands and a creeper...
- Brakes
- Coolant flush and fill
- Brake fluid flush and fill[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: changing spark plugs... 5 out of 6 ain't bad