Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rattle from roof trim between A and B pillars (on a Targa, but also relevant for a Ca

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 08:26 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rattle from roof trim between A and B pillars (on a Targa, but also relevant for a Ca

There are many threads on how to stop targa roofs from rattling or making other noises. I’ve read most/all of them and contributed to some. But the rattling noise I’m desperate to fix on my Targa is something competely different:

When the roof is open, there is often a vibrating noise that is probably coming from close to my left ear. Especially when driving on imperfect roads. There is a long, thin leather covered piece of interior trim that runs from the base of the A pillar to the top, and continues back at least to the B pillar (and possibly all the way to the base of the C pillar). When I hear the noise, if I raise my left hand up to this piece and press it upwards with one finger, the noise stops. (I press it a bit forward of my head.) It does not seem to matter whether the window is open or closed (though cracking the left side window a little bit causes enough wind noise to half-hide the rattle).

By the way, I don’t know if Carrera’s have a similar piece of interior trim, but they definitely don’t have the same one. And since it probably only happens when the roof is open, if it happens at all on Carreras, perhaps only with an open sunroof?

This part of the car has now been disassembled and reassembled many times, to no avail. At last one part that is hidden from view normally has also been replaced with a new one. Usually, after it is “fixed”, it is silent for a while, but generally within a day or two, the noise returns. Indeed, it may simply be that it seemed silent because the car didn’t encounter the conditions that set it off. (As I said, there is “often” a noise. And often at different points on the same road with no obvious surface difference, there is not.) However, but I suspect sometimes it really is briefly better after being “fixed”.

I’ve often wondered if I should simply replace this long leather part, but the people who work on the car for me are skeptical that would help, even if they are not sure what the problem is. Though we all expect it’s either two pieces of interior trim vibrating/bouncing against each other, or rubbing against each other.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any thoughts how to diagnose or solve this?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:30 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Seems the title I gave this thread and the first post got cut off - too many characters apparently. It was supposed to end with "... also relevant for a Carrera?" So apologies for readers expecting a problem that is definitely relevant for Carreras or Cabrios, and not just maybe relevant for Carreras!
Old 10-29-2017, 12:24 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Some pictures would be helpful to understand what your talking about

Is it a wind noise or a rattling noise?

You said you can put your finger on it to stop it, this is where it would be helpful.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:55 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Mullins
Is it a wind noise or a rattling noise?

You said you can put your finger on it to stop it, this is where it would be helpful.
It's not a wind noise. Nor a whistle, nor a squeak.

As I mentioned, we think it's either two interior pieces rubbing against each other, or one vibrating against/into the other, and the sound is consistent with that.

I suppose it could be caused by the wind making something move. I should have a look at the car to see if that's at all possible. But I haven't noticed thaat the noise is speed sensitive, so probably not. It can certaianly happen slow city speeds, though I should also have a look at the speedometer next time I drive it to see if there might be some minimum speed at which it happens or not.

Then there's the question why I only hear it when the roof is closed. I can think of three possible reaons: (1) the wind causes it, (2) when the roof if closed, it presses against the guilty part, preventing it from moving (another thing to have a closer look at), and (3) when the roof is closed, there are other noises to take my mind off of this one (but I don't think so; it isn't that noisy, and it would have to be constantly noisy in order to be block out this noise every time it happens).
Old 10-29-2017, 07:21 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

you maybe want try some Meguiar's Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner Conditioner Spray, replaceing part w new might be $$$.$$ if leather.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:46 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Mullins
you maybe want try some Meguiar's Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner Conditioner Spray, replaceing part w new might be $$$.$$ if leather.
Should I use the viiny & rubber product on the leather? Or somewhere else?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:51 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

OK, that's weird, a moment ago there was a post suggesting using some felt somewhere hidden from view, and now it's gone. Didn't know it was possible to delete a post (and yes, I have tried ... ). Anyway, the post mentioned the part involved being a bit loose. I haven't noticed anything being loose here, but it's worth checking again.

Thanks to whomever (once) posted that advice!

Last edited by rs10; 11-02-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:02 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 611 Likes on 329 Posts

I had a rattle on my C2 Cab. It turned out to be where the sun visors attach. Not sure if it applies to Targas. There is a plastic cover that pops out and under it are two hex screws. Tightening them fixed my rattle.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:44 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rs10
OK, that's weird, a moment ago there was s post suggesting using some felt somewhere hidden from view, and now it's gone. Didn't know it was possible to delete a post (and yes, I have tried ... ). Anyway, the post mentioned the part involved being a bit loose. I haven't noticed anything being loose here, but it's worth checking again.

Thanks to whomever (once) posted that advice!
I found it! It wasn't a post in this thread. It was in a related thread shown below. No, I haven't been on the forum for while - didn't see that feature before. But not sure I like it. I liked the list of multiple related threads.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:05 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Here's a picture showing the part I press to stop the noise. It's the long leather piece running from left to right at tne top of the picture.

Quick Reply: Rattle from roof trim between A and B pillars (on a Targa, but also relevant for a Ca