Need a little forum love

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:24 AM
CordedTires
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little forum love

Hi!

Yesterday I bought a 2004 Porsche 911 turbo cab Tiptronic with 42K miles (am I in the right place?). My previous cars: 79 Honda Accord (yes I’m old), Saturn, VW GTI, Mini Cooper S, VW Jetta diesel (bought for ecological reasons, go ahead and laugh), Mazda CX-5 (current).

So this is a huge deal for me, feeling kind of shaky and needing some forum reassurance (yes I’m female). Before you slot me too quickly on the cab/Tiptronic front: my dearly beloved dad always wanted a convertible, and I autocrossed for ten years (Philly region SCCA) & two of my daily drivers were manual, it hurts my back to shift around town (probably changed too many tires during those ten years).

I have admired 911s for many years. Always wanted one sort of in the impossible dream kind of way.....now all of a sudden it’s sitting in an easily accessible storage space (we have to build a garage for it, our one-car garage is full of my husband’s tools). The car is in gorgeous shape cosmetically, and as far as I know mechanically too - the cosmetic part is intimidating because I am a naturally messy person, and my cars have never been pristine.

The shakiness comes a little from that, but mostly from driving it around all day yesterday. Except a few times in a borrowed car driven gently, this is my first time in a car like this (well, ok, I did get to autocross a couple of amazing cars once or twice, but that’s different). The cornering is purely yummy.

But that acceleration, dang. That is SERIOUS. Serious business. I was not after the turbo, but definitely wanted AWD (and the no ims thing was a bonus). Got to the top of an entrance ramp before I was ready to be there, and to 100 while passing as I started thinking “ Gee, I might
be at 85, better slow down”.

So, three areas of immediate concern:

1. Must not kill/ injure anybody including myself
2. Should not spill anything in the car, or drop chocolate on the seats, or get door dings or highway stone nicks or curb rash
3. Need to enjoy myself while doing #1 and #2, because if not, what’s the point?

Please, be kind.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:09 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

First things first! You have to post photos of the car or it didn't happen! Second, you're in the right place. Many of our cars are simply depositories for all of our junk - all you can do is try to keep it clean! It seems like your husband is "the mechanic" in the house... ask him to start reading everything possible about these cars - it'll save you both a lot of $$ and may save the car as well. It sounds like you got a good one - if you stay on top of the scheduled maintenance and don't let any problems languish, it should stay that way. Generally speaking these are extremely well made and reliable cars but leaving issues "for a rainy day" can turn into a very expensive proposition. Good luck with it and do post up those photos!
Old 10-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! Let’s see some photos!

You’ll get used to driving the car once you put some miles on it. And you will get stone chips. It’s inevitable because the car sits so low to the ground. Paint protection film can help, but many people don’t like it.

I suggest that you join PCA and do some driving events. Try an autocross in this car and see how you like it compared to your previous experience.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:25 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! I obsessed at first as well over rock chips, door dings, etc. and finally realized I just need to enjoy while mitigating those things where possible. I agree pics are needed!
Old 10-28-2017, 12:32 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

CT - first off, welcome.
Second, as dporto said, pics or it never happened. (we like pics)
Third, there is a 996 Turbo (996tt) Forum, but many of the guys hang out both there and in this forum because they are basically the same car other than the engine.
Fourth, these cars are made to be driven - wear the rock chips and door dings with pride.
Fifth, join your local PCA. Autocrosses and the Panorama magazine alone are worth it, plus there's so much more.
Sixth, find a good independent (non-dealership) mechanic who knows these cars well. For example, there are many stories in the 996tt forum of people taking their cars to mechanics that don't know there are 4 oil drain plugs on the engine in your car. If they only remove the main drain plug, they will overfill the engine and basically ruin it.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least you have no IMSB issues to worry about! Good luck with the car and go enjoy. Remember leather wipes clean!!
Old 10-28-2017, 12:59 PM
CordedTires
Intermediate

Thanks all! I just have this crappy photo now to make it real, more later. The steering wheel here (cracked burl) is now replaced with black leather.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:13 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Welcome aboard!
The turbo forum will give you some more specific information geared towards your car. That said this forum is much more active, and as kc said many of us visit both regularly.

Think about adding your location to your signature it will help when you are looking for local help. IE “Where is the best place to get tires mounted?” Etc.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:15 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

do you/husband plan to work on the car yourself?
Old 10-28-2017, 01:26 PM
CordedTires
Intermediate

No, no plans to work on it ourselves. Though we already watched an oil change video (my husband announced “We’re not doing that.”)......We live in the boonies but happen to have an independent guy who works on Porsches less than three miles away, so we’re lucky. Also where I bought it from (half hour and also independent) is willing to work on it (only cars they sell) and at a sort of reasonable hourly rate (all things considered). Actually I might not have bought the thing if we didn’t have those options.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome, and congrats on the beauty!

As other said, wear the chips and signs of time with pride! These beauties are really well made, if taken care of. And having the turbo engine, a lot less to worry about there as well.

You can go two ways with this (from what I can gather having read a lot on here and other places):

- Try to keep it pristine as the Turbos might rise in value long term. - Boring!

- Drive it and enjoy the heck out of it.

It sounds like you and your husband aren't in dire need of another piece of investment going well, so disregard that part of the equation. It'll just make you wince at any mile you put on it. Drive it often, drive it with gusto, don't put a cup holder in it (or don't use the ones you have) and put your phone away: this way you'll always give it the proper attention while driving.

But yeah: I got into a hail storm 7 days after purchase of mine (admitted it's 'just' a C2) with no place to find cover, was on dirt roads two days later, over 9000FT passes, on the lowest point in the US just a few days after that. It never left me stranded.

Plus, most things can be repaired.

Enjoy the heck out of it. Don't be afraid to ask. Enjoy the extra HP and aim for 500'000 miles!
Old 10-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Hey there Corded!

I get what you're saying about feeling like you don't belong in such a fine automobile, but do me a favor and go take a look in your garage right now. It's ok, I'll wait.

YOU OWN A FREAKING 911 TURBO!
You belong

Its your car now, so if it gets dirty, who cares? Do you? We don't. (Well, someone probably does but tell them to go wash their car if they give you any lip.) It may be your first time driving a car "such as this," but in a few weeks it will be your 90th time, and in a year, your 365th.

This is is the first car I've ever owned that I've felt more connected to every time I drive it. In time you'll get used to it and you'll figure out how to keep it somewhere between 25-125 mph :P Remember that there's a time and place for speed - in any car you drive.

Though it's true that there is a Turbo forum, please do stick around. It may not always be a love-fest in here, but you still owe us more pictures of that gorgeous Cab. That, and, there are some really great people here you can learn from.

Happy motoring!
Old 10-28-2017, 07:31 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

welcome

pretty car

nice work on not being afraid to join the forum

now enjoy the turbo!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:25 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

In regards to your first point:

1. Must not kill/ injure anybody including myself

That's why I didn't get a turbo. I still manage to scare myself s***less in a NA 996.

Enjoy your car!
Old 10-28-2017, 09:21 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 957 Likes on 598 Posts

Welcome! I often just stand at the top of the stairs of our garage and stare at the two Porsches, pondering the triumphant menace of these legendary autos. Get smart about the car. Rennlist, Renntech and Pelican Parts are great places to fill your cup of knowledge. My wife and I went down to PCNA in Atlanta last Valentine's for a couple's one-day driving course...worth every penny!

And like the Dr said, "YOU OWN A FREAKING 911 TURBO!", so embrace and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Need a little forum love