Sponsored by:

Spun into dirt, killed MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:12 AM
brwilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun into dirt, killed MAF?

Did my first ever DE event in my 2000 Carrera this weekend. Pushed a little too hard and slid off track into some dirt--a lot of dirt, everywhere. I didn't hit anything, or anyone, but the engine stopped. I had trouble getting it started but thought it was just nerves, but the car just wouldn't idle or run below about 1500 RPM. I drove around the track a few more times but problem persisted.

In the cold cold pits my instructor (a Porsche mechanic) and I checked a few things but saw nothing, and there was no check-engine light, but when we unplugged the MAF the car ran fine. Checked the K&N air filter in the factory airbox and it was REALLY dirty. Tried blowing out the filter, and using MAF cleaner on the MAF,nothing helped.

Plugged in my Durametric and it gives code P0102 (Porsche Code 115)- Mass Air Flow Sensor below limit value. Voltage is 1.06 at idle, stays very flat and never goes above 1.10 even under full throttle. Car will not idle or stay running under 1500 rpm. I am able to drive the car without the MAF plugged in, but the check engine light, of course, comes on.

My instructor thinks the K&N and it's oil, helped ruin the MAF--he thinks I should use a normal filter. Could it also have been overwhelmed and caked up by all that dirt which maybe caused a disruption in the air flow and ruined the MAF?

At any rate, should I just go ahead and replace the MAF, or is there another possible cause?
Old 10-17-2017, 09:33 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

buy a new maf and normal air filter .....if you want to go back to the kn just wash/dry/ re-oil
Old 10-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Many on Rennlist have indicated MAF issues due to over oiling the K&N filter. Regarding cleaning the MAF, I tried that years ago and found it to be a temporary fix, so I replaced my MAF and haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:00 AM
brwilson
Advanced

Thanks. Any search about replacing the MAF pretty much says to try checking everything but the MAF. I think this will do it, but I am always cautious when there is a catastrophic failure of a component with no signs ahead of time.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I posted a reference not so long time ago.
Your MAF sensor hot film values should read as in the table shown below.
Disregard the first part of the extract.

The closer to 1.0V with engine off the better. I would say 1.06V is still okay but you could notice the difference when installing a new one. I replaced mine with 1.03-1.04V as cleaning did not helped.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:26 PM
brwilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silk
I posted a reference not so long time ago.
Your MAF sensor hot film values should read as in the table shown below.
Disregard the first part of the extract.

The closer to 1.0V with engine off the better. I would say 1.06V is still okay but you could notice the difference when installing a new one. I replaced mine with 1.03-1.04V as cleaning did not helped.

I think the 1.06V (1.1V) is ok per the table, but it stays there, even when the engine is idling or revving. No way it's going to reach 1.2V to 1.5V. Seems the MAF is dead. I am ordering a Bosch unit and hopefully that is it. Will clean the K&N and try to be careful with the oil, although I'm still tempted to go with old fashioned paper--the K&N did catch an awful lot of dirt, did it's job, I guess.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by brwilson
I think the 1.06V (1.1V) is ok per the table, but it stays there, even when the engine is idling or revving. No way it's going to reach 1.2V to 1.5V. Seems the MAF is dead. I am ordering a Bosch unit and hopefully that is it. Will clean the K&N and try to be careful with the oil, although I'm still tempted to go with old fashioned paper--the K&N did catch an awful lot of dirt, did it's job, I guess.
My advice would be get rid of the K&N. Gains are minimal and guaranteed result of any oiled filter is a dirty intake. Only paper for me.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:41 AM
brwilson
Advanced

Closing the loop: Replaced MAF sensor with new Bosch unit an all is well.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:53 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brwilson
Closing the loop: Replaced MAF sensor with new Bosch unit an all is well.

Nice to find a simple fix.

Quick Reply: Spun into dirt, killed MAF?