If you have auto-dimming mirrors....

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts
Default If you have auto-dimming mirrors....

Does your driver's side view mirror have a slight yellowish or darker coloration than the passenger side?

I noticed my '99 996 Cab (with dimming mirrors), and the driver's sideview simply seems to have yellowed in the past two years. Don't recall this from the beginning.

Anyone else with some age on their cars?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this can help, since I have a '99 with dimming mirrors too. During the day the drivers side mirror looks just like the left one, and when it dims it turns a darker greenish-blue tipe color as it dims. I think its the same color as the inside rearview mirror's color when it itself dims.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Juan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine, driver's side, with non-dimming ROW convex and used the last, spare, seat memory setting to tilt both outside mirrors downward ~5 degrees at night.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:53 AM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by Juan
I replaced mine, driver's side, with non-dimming ROW convex and used the last, spare, seat memory setting to tilt both outside mirrors downward ~5 degrees at night.
Great idea! I just spent $250 on that left ROW asph mirror with auto-dimming!
Old 12-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My '03 Targa has self-dimming mirrors. The inside and the left outside mirror seem to have some sort of haze on them compared to the right outside mirror, and compared to mirrors on my other cars. The inside and outside self-dimming mirrors on my X5 are perfectly clear.

I thnk these mirrors are made by Mito/Gentex. The Mito dimming mirror I installed in my BMW M coupe is much clearer than the dimming mirror in the Porsche. I've been looking at the Mito/Gentex website wondering if they're interchangeable with the Porsche mirror. I'd like to get the inside cleared up, and adding the Homelink capability for multiple garage doors would be nice too.

Dwayne
Old 12-10-2003, 02:06 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by dwaynemosley
My '03 Targa has self-dimming mirrors. The inside and the left outside mirror seem to have some sort of haze on them compared to the right outside mirror, and compared to mirrors on my other cars. The inside and outside self-dimming mirrors on my X5 are perfectly clear.

I thnk these mirrors are made by Mito/Gentex. The Mito dimming mirror I installed in my BMW M coupe is much clearer than the dimming mirror in the Porsche. I've been looking at the Mito/Gentex website wondering if they're interchangeable with the Porsche mirror. I'd like to get the inside cleared up, and adding the Homelink capability for multiple garage doors would be nice too.

Dwayne
I've been thinking the same thing. The mirrors are very cloudy/hazy compared to auto-dimming mirrors in Audis and BMWs. Kind of disappointing. I'd love to replace the inside one with a BMW unit.

I'll research this also and post anything I figure out.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm well aware of how they work, had 'em for five years. But in the past year or so it seems like the driver's sideview is turning yellowish. Clarity is 100% on either side, so that's no problem. Just coloration - and this is in bright sunlit daytime, not cloudy or evening times.

Looks to me like the chromatics are coloring the glass. Works fine at night either way.

Just wondered.

Quick Reply: If you have auto-dimming mirrors....