996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

AGA Transmission Mount Tool For Rent

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 04:11 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Just rented the AGA tool from dkrainge (Dave.) Everything done thru email and paypal and USPS. Everything from Dave's price, timeliness, shipping, etc. is great. I did my mount in less than an hour in my garage with the car on jack stands and a floor jack to support the transmission.

Dave, I'm sure you'll see this, thanks again.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:16 PM
steve578
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It’s a ways off, but I am interested in renting the tool in March. I plan to pull my transmission stating March 9th.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:21 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by steve578
It’s a ways off, but I am interested in renting the tool in March. I plan to pull my transmission stating March 9th.
Steve-

I've added a note to my waiting list. Looks like there is likely to be an opening at that time which would work out. Just sent me an email or PM when you are ready.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:57 PM
steve578
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dkraige
Steve-

I've added a note to my waiting list. Looks like there is likely to be an opening at that time which would work out. Just sent me an email or PM when you are ready.
Thank you! I’ll send you an email or PM in February.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:48 AM
dkraige
Pro

Just bumping this back to the top as a reminder since there were a number of people who were interested in renting the tool after the holiday season settled down.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:19 PM
steve578
Rennlist Member

I received the new mount this week. Is this hole normal?

Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by steve578
I received the new mount this week. Is this hole normal?
Yep, that's normal. The mount is not completely filled in. Some folks have filled those voids with various substances to increase the stiffness of the mount. Up to you whether you want to make that tradeoff of direct feedback vs. harshness.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 PM
steve578
Rennlist Member

Yep, that's normal. The mount is not completely filled in. Some folks have filled those voids with various substances to increase the stiffness of the mount. Up to you whether you want to make that tradeoff of direct feedback vs. harshness.
Thank you for the confirmation.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

PM sent about renting tool
Old 03-30-2018, 03:12 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anybody who is interested in renting this tool, please PM me.

If you are thinking about doing this job, stop thinking and just do it. It's very easy, the mount only costs ~$60-70 and makes a huge difference in the driving of the car. Idle quality, shift quality, and overall road vibration. The newest of the 996s is now 12-13 years old; a rubber bushing holding up ~1/3 of the weight of the engine/transmission assembly and all the driveline loads associated cannot be expected to last that long. If yours has never been changed, you WILL fill a remarkable difference by replacing it, comparable to new motor mounts.

Using this tool you can replace it with nothing other than basic hand tools, rather than having to remove the transmission from the car and use a shop press.

Tips for making it easier:

1) A lift would help, but I did the job just fine on ordinary jackstands. With a lift it would just be easier to get leverage on things and see clearly whether everything is nicely lined up.

2) A long-handled 13mm ratcheting wrench. Actually two would be swell, since you need to tighten 2 bolts evenly, so if you have two wrenches you don't have to switch back and forth. Again, I did this with one ~6" 13mm ratcheting wrench, it's not that hard, it just takes longer.

3) The special AGA mount with the machined edge is not necessary. Just buy a Lemforder mount from wherever you can get it the cheapest; it already has a slight chamfer on the ends of it that help it get started in the hole.

4) At least on my car, the mount went in better coming from the passenger side, not the driver's side as the instructions suggest. On my car, the passenger side had a slight chamfer on the casting that helped align the mount on the way in, while the driver's side had a machined recess that the AGA tool fit into properly. Going the opposite direction things would have been considerably harder to line up. Your scenario may differ; perhaps not all transmission housings have exactly the same machined features.
I need to rent mount tool - please
Old 03-30-2018, 06:30 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Rented the tool from Dave and did my mount yesterday .It is not a big job and made a significant improvement in clutch engagement and shifting .
Dave was a pleasure to work with and extremely reasonable on his rental fee .
Old 03-30-2018, 11:42 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
Rented the tool from Dave and did my mount yesterday .It is not a big job and made a significant improvement in clutch engagement and shifting .
Dave was a pleasure to work with and extremely reasonable on his rental fee .
Thanks for the kind words. There's been a bit of an explosion lately of people interested in renting the tool. For those of you who have emailed or PM'd me, I've added you to the list and gotten back to you with a rough timeline estimate. When your number comes up and I email you please respond promptly; If I don't hear from you in a day or so, I'm moving on to the next person down the list so we don't keep people waiting! Dufresne, party of 2?

Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 PM
dkraige
Pro

Bumping this back up. I've contacted all the people who have gotten in touch with me recently, and either successfully rented them the tool, or gotten no response. Anybody interested, please feel free to contact me! The wait time should be very short as of now
Old 06-27-2018, 04:05 AM
the-goose
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AGA Tool Rental

Hi, I bought the mount and I’m interested in renting the tool, but for some reason can’t find the button to send PM messages. Can you PM me and I’ll reply? Thanks!
Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

I've also got the AGA tool for rent - if you're interested, PM me.

Quick Reply: AGA Transmission Mount Tool For Rent