Sponsored by:

track guys, how do you stop oil pressure drop in corners

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:37 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Will need to agree to disagree here, since basically what you are saying is unless something is at your track out marker you will not see it. It is dangerous to be that focused on your track out marker. By the time you are pointed at track out, you should already be looking at your next turn, and for flags, or debris, or the car that just spun in front of you...
Yes, that's a very valid opinion, but how many times have you crashed your car using this strategy? You're not really going fast until you crash.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
You're not really going fast until you crash.
This probably shouldn't apply to DE's but it is SO true and the root of my addiction. The first time I screwed up a corner and took it so hot I thought I was going to die, but some how pulled it off and gained a 1.5s on my predictive laptime was one of the biggest adrenaline rushes of my life. I've been purposefully trying to recreate it ever since. When the tires are slipping through the entire corner, you know you are riding the edge. When they start to slide, you know you've taken it too far and are scrubbing speed. Riding the line in between is one of the few times in life that I am absolutely living in the moment.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

In regards to the gauge showing brief drops in high g corners.

Is there something about the frequency of the oil pressure sending unit on M96s that was changed on the M97s.

I believe the milliseconds are lengthened on the 997 to get a more average type reading, rather than the hyper sensitive readings on the M96.

Or am I incorrect?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by Slakker
This probably shouldn't apply to DE's but it is SO true and the root of my addiction. The first time I screwed up a corner and took it so hot I thought I was going to die, but some how pulled it off and gained a 1.5s on my predictive laptime was one of the biggest adrenaline rushes of my life. I've been purposefully trying to recreate it ever since. When the tires are slipping through the entire corner, you know you are riding the edge. When they start to slide, you know you've taken it too far and are scrubbing speed. Riding the line in between is one of the few times in life that I am absolutely living in the moment.
I was totally kidding. Crashing at a DE for any reason other than a mechanical failure is inexcusable IMO. It costs everybody track time (money) and puts safety workers and other drivers at risk. Knowingly driving in a manner that could cause loss of control of the car at a DE is diametrically opposed to the purpose of the event, and should be reserved for racing, if it's even appropriate there. If somebody drops some wheels off or spins in an area with runoff I get that those things happen, but I disagree with the concept of taking every corner so hard that you can't do anything but hang on for dear life with tunnel-vision to the trackout point and pray you make it there.

To each his own, but please try not to run over anybody or cause a red flag.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
In regards to the gauge showing brief drops in high g corners.

Is there something about the frequency of the oil pressure sending unit on M96s that was changed on the M97s.

I believe the milliseconds are lengthened on the 997 to get a more average type reading, rather than the hyper sensitive readings on the M96.

Or am I incorrect?
Can we take a guess at the delay based on how long it takes the gauge to settle on a reading when the engine is started, or when revved from idle to a new RPM?

Also, since the pressure sensor is at the tail end of the oil circuit, can we take any solace in knowing that it should be the *lowest* pressure on the pressurized side of the oil circuit, and every part of the engine is experiencing at least that pressure OR HIGHER?

Last edited by dkraige; 09-20-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

I was totally kidding. :
I wasn't. The whole point of tracking a car is pushing the limits within ones own comfort zone, as long as it doesn't endanger others. Once I learned to catch the rear end, after many failed attempts, my comfort zone grew immensely and I gained the ability to push the car in a consistent and predictable manner. Think of someone that drifts for a hobby. How easy is it for them to find the optimum slip angle having spent so much time beyond it in a controlled manner? When I was studying videos of a local club racer that I respected and learned that he started out doing drifting competitions, that's when it clicked for me. And just for clarification, drifting has no place on a road course as it scrubs speed and kills your times. But the place right before it is where you HAVE to be to be competitive at any level beyond "pleasure tracking."
Old 09-20-2017, 07:45 AM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Accusump!
Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
I wasn't. The whole point of tracking a car is pushing the limits within ones own comfort zone, as long as it doesn't endanger others. Once I learned to catch the rear end, after many failed attempts, my comfort zone grew immensely and I gained the ability to push the car in a consistent and predictable manner. Think of someone that drifts for a hobby. How easy is it for them to find the optimum slip angle having spent so much time beyond it in a controlled manner? When I was studying videos of a local club racer that I respected and learned that he started out doing drifting competitions, that's when it clicked for me. And just for clarification, drifting has no place on a road course as it scrubs speed and kills your times. But the place right before it is where you HAVE to be to be competitive at any level beyond "pleasure tracking."
Most people go to DE to learn and have fun. They don't want to run their cars into the tirewall or armco like you've done on multiple occasions. So how about we cool it with all the "flat out" commentary huh.

Back to the technical issue:

I run the EBS vertical baffle and tuneRS 2qt spacer with horizontal baffle. I also use the spin on oil filter adapter. Sadly, I don't have my gauges up yet to get a good sense of pressure.

Without a dry sump, all this stuff is bandaiding, but it might be just enough to keep the motor alive.

That said, these motors are not durable in any sense. They are pretty much junk.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Most people go to DE to learn and have fun. They don't want to run their cars into the tirewall or armco like you've done on multiple occasions.
This is absolutely true. And some people may be curious what it takes to go fast. So now we have a perspective for each of them.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

I was totally kidding. Crashing at a DE for any reason other than a mechanical failure is inexcusable IMO. It costs everybody track time (money) and puts safety workers and other drivers at risk. Knowingly driving in a manner that could cause loss of control of the car at a DE is diametrically opposed to the purpose of the event, and should be reserved for racing, if it's even appropriate there. If somebody drops some wheels off or spins in an area with runoff I get that those things happen, but I disagree with the concept of taking every corner so hard that you can't do anything but hang on for dear life with tunnel-vision to the trackout point and pray you make it there.

To each his own, but please try not to run over anybody or cause a red flag.

I'm the Safety Chair and an Instructor for my region. Incidents are going to happen, sometimes mechanical, sometimes people run out of talent (we all have to one degree or another). The idea is to always be safe, be predictable to those around you and make progress. Riding the "edge" can be great providing you don't fall off. Falling off the edge can suck. Even when racing, you are out there with other people, that expect you can handle your car in a certain way. That's why there are rules about contact. Better lap times are great. Safe better lap times are better. Flying around the track just on the edge of control is not good for you, the car, your instructor, or the cars around you.

Also, as Safety Chair, incidents create a ton of paperwork for me, so I really prefer them not to happen.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:44 AM
dkraige
Pro

So how about we cool it with all the "flat out" commentary huh.
Did you say...."Flat Out"???

Old 09-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
I'm the Safety Chair and an Instructor for my region. Incidents are going to happen, sometimes mechanical, sometimes people run out of talent (we all have to one degree or another). The idea is to always be safe, be predictable to those around you and make progress. Riding the "edge" can be great providing you don't fall off. Falling off the edge can suck. Even when racing, you are out there with other people, that expect you can handle your car in a certain way. That's why there are rules about contact. Better lap times are great. Safe better lap times are better. Flying around the track just on the edge of control is not good for you, the car, your instructor, or the cars around you.

Also, as Safety Chair, incidents create a ton of paperwork for me, so I really prefer them not to happen.
At one of my local tracks there is a sign in the registration booth that reads something like...

"You arrive at the track with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of talent. Your goal is to fill the talent bag before the luck bag runs out."
Old 09-20-2017, 11:14 AM
kondata17
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Most people go to DE to learn and have fun. They don't want to run their cars into the tirewall or armco like you've done on multiple occasions. So how about we cool it with all the "flat out" commentary huh.

Back to the technical issue:

I run the EBS vertical baffle and tuneRS 2qt spacer with horizontal baffle. I also use the spin on oil filter adapter. Sadly, I don't have my gauges up yet to get a good sense of pressure.

Without a dry sump, all this stuff is bandaiding, but it might be just enough to keep the motor alive.

That said, these motors are not durable in any sense. They are pretty much junk.
thats what I'm getting out of this experience as well. Motor is junk. As much as I like the 996, just doesnt seem like the DE fun is worth the price reduction when you sell the car as a shell.

I appreciate the comments guys. I guess I should ask if anyone here experienced engine failure that they were able to pin point later to oil pressure drop?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:40 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

This issue has held me at odds for some time now. I always yearned for the duality of the 911 of being a car you can enjoy on the street and take to the track from time to time. After expereincing two engine failures at the track Im weary of ever taking my 996 C2 to a DE ever again.

As much as I love my 996 Ive been searching for a 996 turbo that has a dry sump and can be the 911 with the duality Ive been searching for.

I spun rod bearing #6 at the track. A common issue with the m96 engine, because of preasure drop and low viscosity from the Motul 8100 excess oil that I was using. Although I should have been using Motul 300V or JG xp9 its still a pain that theres still a big risk even when you use the right oil.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 09-20-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:50 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

I really think that the durability of the m96 is a myth, I have seen and have beaten the death out of my 996 with no issues. Shure engines break but the spec Boxster guys have been ragging them out for years.

Quick Reply: track guys, how do you stop oil pressure drop in corners