Sponsored by:

Sold the c4s today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 02:21 AM
wilam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold the c4s today!

Due to an RMS leak I had in be c2 cab, the potential of having an RMS leak in my c4s, and the introduction of the 997 next year, I decided to sell my c4s today!

I liked the c4s but after 10 months and just 4,000km, I no longer felt comfortable owing another 996. I took a CAD$7k hit. Did I make the right decision?
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2003, 05:22 AM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

See you in the 997 soont

10months and 4000km? So little..

Waz
Old 12-06-2003, 05:49 AM
safetywork
Instructor

If there was the "potential" of an RMS leak at the mileage and age of your car, wouldn't have been covered by the warrantee? Taking such a hit with such low mileage especially if the repair would have been covered by the warrantee seems a bit illogical. Hopefully when the 997s come out, you'll rejoin the our little family.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:21 AM
phattey
Instructor

This was my logic as well.

Wait till the 997 arrives, then do it all over again...
Old 12-06-2003, 09:30 AM
ShortShift
Advanced

I have to ask the same question regarding time remaining on warranty. I can empathize with your fears, because there has been a lot of negative focus in the posts lately. But why focus on the negative when you have lots of time for the dealer to fix what might go wrong? What makes folks think the 997 will be different? Shoot, someone might plow into your Porsche while it is parked somewhere! Life's too short to worry so much about what might happen.

P.S.: That said, I'll trade while mine is still under warranty.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

went through this same exercise several months back. Not because I was worried about the car's reliability, but because I wanted the GT3. I had 15K miles on the car at that time, and the appraiser at the dealership took that as his opportunity to give me a lowball number. Probably would take a hit close to the hit you took. I decided that the C4S was worth a lot more to me than what they were going to give me for it.

So, to be honest, and IMHO, I believe you made the wrong choice. There are a lot of 996's that are trouble free, and mine is one of them. Given the law of averages, with only a vocal minority having problems, your C4S would most likely have been trouble free too.

In addition, the 997 may still have the M96 engine. If you want a different engine, go for the TT or GT3. If you are worried about depreciation, the biggest hit is in the first year, and progressively decreases. The introduction of a new model number does not quite hit marque cars like Porsche in the same manner as Chevy, Ford, or Toyota.

Just my .02c.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:13 PM
wilam
Instructor

Originally posted by safetywork
If there was the "potential" of an RMS leak at the mileage and age of your car, wouldn't have been covered by the warrantee? Taking such a hit with such low mileage especially if the repair would have been covered by the warrantee seems a bit illogical. Hopefully when the 997s come out, you'll rejoin the our little family.
I was not worried about the warranty issue other than by the fact that with few miles I put on the car, I would only have 20,000km on the car by the time the warranty runs out in 3+ years. Low mileage dirvers like me are penalized for not maxing out the miles! I was more concerned with the RMS issue tainting the 996 in general and might make it more difficult to sell once the 997 comes out. If everyone knows about the issue, would it not make it harder to buy a 996 which has little time left on the warranty? What must give is the pricing, no?

Also, it would seem illogical for Porsche not to redesign the 997 RMS as the cost of replacing engines and doing repairs has got to cut into the profit margin.

I still have my 01 cab which I derive a lot of pleasure from top-down driving so I am staying in this club as a devoted member and still carry some risk of the "hit" to come when the 997 comes out.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO I think you made the wrong decision. The toubles I am having with my car are only just starting to happen. I have had it over 3 years and it's never once given me any problem. If your RMS failed it would have been done under warranty.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:02 AM
dtsp
Intermediate

Hi Wilson: sorry to see you parted with your C4S. You must have sold it privately, 'cause losing $7k is actually very good.

I also sold my '02 Targa last week, after 16 months & 10k. Swap black book to black book for a '03 new MB - still lost about CAD$17k. Like you I'll wait for the 997, & meanwhile I have an MB E55 AMG on order.

David P.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Keyvan
Racer

It would be interesting to see what percentage of 996 have RMS leaks. I say this because when I use to be an M3 freak I was on all the BMW forums and it sounded like every M3 had it's engine blown but in actual fact it was less than 1%.

These faults tend to be blown out of proportion on forums. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but if Porshe makes about 16,000 996's a year which I belive is the correct figure how many of them actually get RMS failure?

Quick Reply: Sold the c4s today!