Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Braking Issue- Soft Pedal/Weak Stopping Power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 01:20 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
997 GT3 Master Cylinder and Castrol SRF fluid will improve the feel. I've completely emptied my brake fluid system probably 10x and never once used the durametric to activate the ABS pump.

As for the squishy noises, that doesn't sound right. If you want to try swapping out the ABS I have a spare unit that you can borrow for troubleshooting.
The booster pump bleed procedure described above is for cars with PSM...
Old 09-06-2017, 07:56 PM
drsourmonkey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies! I have thought about upgrading to a GT3 MC, but I feel like I still wont get past the issue that there's air in the lines. The squishy noise/pedal and the vibration felt in the pipe is indicative of this.

I updated to the latest version of durametric to no avail. e-mailed durametric and sent in some logs, here's what they replied with:

Originally Posted by durametric support
Thank you for submitting the log file. The log indicates that when the activation is sent the car returns an error message. This error message indicates that "conditions are not correct". We see this when any prerequisites or the current status of the car are not proper for the procedure. We don't have details for the brake bleeding procedure; you will want to refer to the car's service manual for details.
Has anyone ever heard of this supposedly magical dance you need to do to be able to activate the ABS pump? As I noted, the activation worked perfectly on the 997, and there is no other stability management or other section in the 996 to interface with the braking system.

I keep finding similar threads on the 996/durametric/abs pump combo, and I'm starting to think that the function is broken. Will try a a number of combinations (frunk open, funk closed, door open, door closed, car "on", engine "on" etc.) but I'm not too confident this is the issue.

Sorry if this is coming off as a rant, but I'm a bit frustrated seeing as one of the main reasons I purchased a durametric was for the ABS bleeding function.

edit: Just had a thought- is there a chance the ABS pump will NOT activate when stationary unless a brake pressure sender reads the proper pressure for bleeding? This seems highly unlikely, but if anyone with a PIWIS could confirm/deny?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:01 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

PIWIS will turn on the pump if the brake pedal is pressed or not. It will even run the pump if the pump is totally dry of fluid.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:06 PM
drsourmonkey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Makes the claim of the secret dance even less likely. I'm leaning more and more towards the durametric being the issue...
Old 09-06-2017, 10:09 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drsourmonkey
Thanks! Makes the claim of the secret dance even less likely. I'm leaning more and more towards the durametric being the issue...
Take a nice drive to San Diego and I'll hook up your car!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:55 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Let me say this as clearly as possible, Durametric Support F'n Sucks! They ALWAYS blame the car. I went around and round with them blaming my car when I had two identical cars (same problem with both) and documentation of other people having the same issue. After I called BS enough times and read on RL about an older version of the cable that solved my problem, they finally sent me one and it magically worked. Worst tech support experience of my life.

Ok, now that I got that out of my system, see if you can pull info on the airbag system. It, along with the ABS, run on the K2 line. This is the one that Durametric has issues with.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

How is PSM different hydraulically than non-PSM? I'm curious why there is a different bleeding procedure.

Quick Reply: Braking Issue- Soft Pedal/Weak Stopping Power?