996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PPI at dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003 | 01:11 PM
ProV1
Advanced

Default PPI at dealerships

I called up a couple of porsche dealers and i was told that diagnostic readout by the computer is not included in the PPI. in fact, i was told that even when the vin# is typed in their computer system it'll only bring up stuff done at THAT dealership only. i thought porsche had a system where if u type in a vin or hook up the car to a computer, it'll read out all maintenance & repair history... so PPI is merely a 1 hr visual inspection and roadtest. well i guess it's better than nothing
Old 12-02-2003 | 02:58 PM
fahren affair
Pro

my ppi experience was somewhat of a joke. $350 later i knew nothing more than what carfax showed me. any competent mechanic can do a visual look over for obvious leaks, adnormal wear, etc. i didn't need the dealer to tell me that. the car still had factory warranty which mattered most in my case. i was more concerned about body damage/frame straightening, etc--kinds of things that would scare me off.

fwiw, i don't believe a ppi will tell you the engine or trans will fail--at least not in most cases. so for buyers looking at cars outside of the factory warranty coverage, it's caveat emptor!!
Old 12-02-2003 | 04:46 PM
BSC
Instructor

As a courtesy, a local dealer pulled the "all inclusive" report on my car before I bought it - just like you are talking about. It was not part of the PPI. I can't remember what he called the Porsche data base, but it seemed to have a record of all warranty work and option codes and sale history based on the VIN #. Can you ask your dealer for a little help?
Old 12-02-2003 | 05:36 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally posted by BSC
As a courtesy, a local dealer pulled the "all inclusive" report on my car before I bought it - just like you are talking about. It was not part of the PPI. I can't remember what he called the Porsche data base, but it seemed to have a record of all warranty work and option codes and sale history based on the VIN #. Can you ask your dealer for a little help?
while in his office, my service writer did something like this over the phone. he called pcna, keyed-in my vin # and got back open recalls, service data, etc. according to him, it would not show if the car had a major component replaced under warranty by another dealer or other like info.

Quick Reply: PPI at dealerships