Sponsored by:

VT without Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 11:17 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face VT without Snow Tires

Was up in Vermont for the Thanksgiving holiday, figured that the roads would still be relatively clean, so I didn't put the snow shoes on the car yet.

BOY WAS I WRONG, on Saturday, after it rained all nite the nite before, it started to snow like crazy. Had to go to Connecticut for a friend's party, so I took it nice and easy and the car did fine, only one little slip which PSM caught. Luckily, by the time I got out to the highway (45 miles away and about 1000+ feet lower) no more precipitation and it warmed up a few degrees. Washed all the salt and snow off that car and went on my merry way....not that I'll EVER do it again...the snow tires are going on this week.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:00 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that must have been an interesting 45 miles! i've been caught in the snow with my summer tires on and it wasn't pretty!
Old 12-01-2003, 02:03 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

it wasn't as bad as I expected, which was a relief...then again I don't think I got over 40 mph...and didn't use the brakes once, all down shifting..
Old 12-01-2003, 02:21 PM
JeffPlastow
Intermediate

I got caught in the snow that North of Toronto got on Friday with the summer tires still on. They say M+S - they may be fine in mud (I have no idea), but they certainly weren't acceptable in the snow. The 928 on the other hand was fine without winter tires. If someone had given me 50 bucks, I'd have given them the car. It was virually impossible to get up some relatively shallow hills without the rear end coming out (and the traction control light flashing like crazy), even at like 1300rpm in second and third gears. Was I wrong in assuming that lower RPMs would be better for controlling wheel spin? The 928 was an auto, so I can't really compare. Also I was rather alarmed at just how easy the ABS came on in the snow at VERY slow speeds and breaking VERY gently. I'm assuming it is due to the very light front end. We bought the 996 assuming that it would be BETTER in the snow than the 928 - but it isn't looking like it - perhaps the winter tires will help. Anybody have good 996 driving tips?

Jeff.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:39 PM
BostonMarkC
Racer

I was in VT with my C4S and proper winter tires this past weekend.

I can't speak for a C2 (if that's what you have Jeff), but the C4S was amazing up there. It's actually quite difficult to break traction. It felt at least as good as the Audi Quattro's I've owned in the past.

I decided to order some rubber mats and neoprene seat covers too, after opening the door and getting snowflakes all over the seats
Old 12-01-2003, 02:52 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Mark,
I have a set of weathertec mats, the driver side required some cutting to squeeze between the dead pedal and the gas, but otherwise they're great.

As far as seat covers, I've heard that the waterproof covers can be bad for the leather (trap in moisture or something like that). Besides I don't think a little bit of snow will ruin the leather, I used to get snow on the leather in my Range Rover all the time, the seats never showed any ill effects.

I was actually surprised at the traction the car had with normal tires, there were some pretty steep hills and the car only lost traction once around a turn, the end stepped out while accelerating. I have Dunlop SP 9000 (or something like that), which are not as sporty as Contis or Pirellis, maybe that has something to do with it. Can't wait to try it with snow tires...
Old 12-01-2003, 02:58 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Jeff,
I think that M+S on the tires stands for Mild and Sunny....not Mud and Snow....
Old 12-01-2003, 03:48 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

I park mine and drive the Audi. But not because the C4 can't do snow.

Word is the C4 is great in the snow if you install proper tires. There is a film clip of a C4 on the 'ring going like a bat out of hell through twisties in the snow. It is an inspiring testament to the capabilities of the car.

I park mine to avoid the snow-bozos........
Old 12-01-2003, 04:59 PM
colin.plastow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, asssuming you were driving my car, Jeff, I wonder where you saw M&S on the tires? They're Toyo Proxes T1S which seem to be great tires but not the best in the snow by all accounts. Not to worry, the Continentals are going on tomorrow.

Jeff's away at school most of the time in case you're all wondering why we don't just talk about it over supper or something.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:33 PM
BostonMarkC
Racer

Somebody on the 993 forum recommended the Llooyd's rubber mats, which are custom fit to the 996 (or any car). I figure for 60 bucks for all 4 its worth a shot.

http://www.autoseattle.com/lloydmats_rubber.htm

I was thinking of using the seat covers just for ski trips (every 3 weeks or so), but you have a point. My Audis, MBs, etc. had no leather issues with water. Its just that the supple leather I have in the C4S is so damn nice!

Originally posted by 01 C4 Cab NYC
Mark,
I have a set of weathertec mats, the driver side required some cutting to squeeze between the dead pedal and the gas, but otherwise they're great.

As far as seat covers, I've heard that the waterproof covers can be bad for the leather (trap in moisture or something like that). Besides I don't think a little bit of snow will ruin the leather, I used to get snow on the leather in my Range Rover all the time, the seats never showed any ill effects.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:00 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Mark,
The reason I like the weather tecs is that the part that stays flat on the floor can hold several cups of water without spilling

so when the snow melts, it won't leak over onto the carpet (which is the whole reason we got the damn mats in the first place).
the lloyds look shallower...

Seat covers...c'mon your butt shouldn't be that snowy
Old 12-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Greetings,
I think I can top your story. I was down at Lime Rock two springs ago in late March for my first track day of the year. It snowed and I had to drive all the way home to NH into the snow. I did all of this with track tires on. It was interesting to say the least. I am not brave enough to put snows on my 911. Best of luck to you this winter. - Jay Gratton
Old 12-01-2003, 10:34 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

snow tires are on and they ride swell. coming from a quattro TT, i'm excited to see how this car handles the snow/slush/ice of the NY metro area.

On plowed roads, with snow tires it should kick the socks off SUV's due to lower center of gravity, right?

I'm assuming once the snow gets > 6" i'm outta the game?

The C4 is my only car, and I've got to get to work no matter what... kinda like the postman. The Audi TT was great in the big storm last winter- so I've got high expectations for the C4.

Planning some VT trips this winter... gotta get a hold of the ski rack.

Happy snow season!

-r
Old 12-02-2003, 01:05 AM
BostonMarkC
Racer

I just ordered the Roof Transport system the other day. I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of the SUV owners once the skis are up on the roof!

And I am also concerned about the depth of the Lloyd's mats, and the trimming of the Weathertech...decisions, decisions.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:32 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Sounds like we should all arrange a ski trip in VT...for nut jobs with AWD porsches....

Mark, trimming the weathertech mats are pretty easy. the Passenger side is a perfect fit, its just the driver side. The 'blocks' on the upper part of the mat:

is where you have to cut. I used a razor blade and just cut between the blocks, a 5 minute job.

Going to pickup my Winter Sport M2s today...

Quick Reply: VT without Snow Tires