Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Squeaks and rattles and creaks, oh my...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Squeaks and rattles and creaks, oh my...

My new-to-me 40AE is perfect. Well, almost. There are a few interior and exterior noises that my OCD mandates I attend to. I've isolated the interior noises to the Bose speaker boxes in the rear compartment and possibly a rear seat center noise that I'm not sure where it could be coming from. The dash seems to flex quite a bit. Most of my cars wouldn't make this dash flex known until the colder months but my new Porsche let's me know at all temps. There is a bit of brake squeal that seems new, but that's whatever. There's also a slight knock noise from the rear on accelerating from a stop or when braking to a stop and the engine inertia shifts. I'm assuming that's the engine mounts so I'm changing those out next week (DIY).

My question is this: Have any of you identified any known areas of interior trim etc. that are prone to noise production?

I did a search here and found nothing dedicated. When I was considering an E46 M3, I found several dedicated threads on the topic with pics, hints, tricks, and suggestions. I found the following videos that are my starting points and have ordered some foam tape a cheap trim tool set. If anyone has any thoughts on inputs, please post away...

Last edited by Chicago6MT; 08-20-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Squeaks and rattles and creaks, oh my...