Sponsored by:

Digital Oil level HIGH?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003 | 08:03 AM
Chucksta
Instructor

Default Digital Oil level HIGH?

My oil level seems to be very high.

A couple of days ago, I checked the oil level with the digital readout and it was 2 bars from the upper limit.

Today, all the bars on the display were lit up!!!

I checked the dipstick and it seems to be HIGH.

I haven't added any oil since i took delivery in April 03. Any ideas??

I have a driver's ed event in 4 days!! Help!!!

Chucksta
Old 11-30-2003 | 09:44 AM
Keyvan
Racer

If you park on right side of a street the car tilts to the right because all streets are banked and your oil will read higher than it is...if you park on the left side then you oil will read lower than it is.

Otherwise the best time to check your engine oil level is 15 minutes after a drive in which the engine has reached operating temperature and you are on a level surface.
Old 11-30-2003 | 03:29 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

The digital readout is very sensitive to the car position. Always make sure of 2 things. One, that the car is level. Two, that all the oil has drained to where it needs to drain.

I have found that hot or cold engine does not make any significant difference so long as the two conditions mentioned above are met. One problem with checking the oil with a hot engine is that the oil may not have had time to drain. I've actually checked the oil level with the dipstick and the digital readout every 5 minutes after driving into my garage until there were no more changes. Did it several different times, too. OK, OK, the car was new and I was nuts. It takes about 15 and sometimes 30 minutes for the readings to stabilize.

What I've finally settled on doing is just checking the level first thing in the morning with the engine cold and the car on level ground in my garage. It is exactly the same level as the engine hot and all the oil drained down.

One other thing. People who have tracked their 996 with the oil level all the way up to FULL have reported smke on startup after a hard run, Totally normal. BUT, if you have oil level down to about 3/4 or 1/2, no smoke at all. To make your decision harder, some people also say the level should be all the way up to avoid oil startvation . Choose your poison, heh-heh. I run on the track my the oil level between 1/2 to 3/4, never full.
Old 11-30-2003 | 04:46 PM
LAJ_996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Palting
my c4s will smoke on starting when cold,
does not when warm.
the oil level is not overfilled (2-3 bars below upper limit)
is this a problem i should be concerned about?
thx
roy
Old 11-30-2003 | 06:04 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

If it smokes at EVERY cold start, it may be a rich fuel problem rather than an oil burn. Haven't heard of smoking at every cold start being a normal character of the 996.

Quick Reply: Digital Oil level HIGH?