Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003 | 02:54 PM
SPR
Drifting

also got any pics? thanks.
Old 11-28-2003 | 04:13 PM
jkim996
Intermediate

Yes, will new turbo taillights, buckets and assembly. The lights are much bigger. Like I said you will need a new decklid/tail too. Even the C4s deckid and the TT decklids are different and can't be interchanged. Its fairly easy to find used taillights for 99-03 996's the turbo ones will prob have to be ordered by Porsche. The fenders for the fronts are just bolt ons what what I understand. I would ask the bodyshop if they can straighten it out (rear quarter) they can do wonders- you would be surprised what some shops can do. But cutting the fender is more extensive (welding etc) and takes a lot of hours. especially on both sides. You mentioned the door having to be replaced. I would get a new door and that would have to go on first- they will use that as a baseline and make the curves look right. If you are looking for turbo 2 wheels instead of twists- they make them for 18X10's instead of 18X11's ( they were an option for Boxsters/996)

I think you maybe looking at more parts for the rear. I'm not quite sure how much interior assembly is involved.

It's been done - your conversion on '99 cars. Look at Ebaymotors and seach on 996 - I've seen 3 in there - 2cabs and 1 blue coupe. I'll post my photos next week after I put on my 19's.
Old 11-28-2003 | 04:43 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

SPR,

Go for it! I'd love to see 996TT rear quarter panels on a C2 along with the turbo front and rear to go with it. Good luck and post pictures as your new car starts to take shape.

Mark

P.S. jkim996 -- How about some pics of your 996?
Old 11-28-2003 | 05:38 PM
jkim996
Intermediate

SPR,

We'll have a site dedicated to converted cars - LOL. Hey the research alone took a few months. Nobody had answers when I started to the details involved- I even had to tell the bodyshop what to do at times because they didn't know and forget asking any dealers- they only know part numbers. Pay close attention to the bodyshop and ask a lot of questions and don't be shy - be on top of them especially if they have never done one of these before.

Mark,
Photos coming next week- as you know its been raining around here in the east coast. You'll like the photos with the 19"s on there anyway.
Old 11-28-2003 | 06:29 PM
SPR
Drifting

Great thanks guys. It seems that my best bet to get out of it the least unscathed would be to put c4s rear quarters on that way I could retain the same lights or use c4s lights, but more importantly the decklid is the same and I could keep mine, to keep costs down. Are there any differences known about the front c4s v. turbo front end stuff? I would assume that in that area they are different also with the ducts for the radiatiors, but the support is the same. I am trying to get the best picture possible to see what the price differentials will be. thanks again . Sean
Old 11-28-2003 | 07:27 PM
ProV1
Advanced

u only live once dude, go for it. in fact go w/ techart widebody - why limit yourself w/ boring stock tt look? post pics when done
Old 11-28-2003 | 07:31 PM
jkim996
Intermediate

Even if you use C4S quarters you will need the bigger tail lights and I don't know if the decklid is the same? As for the front - you can use all of the TT parts. The only difference is the bottom lip. The bodyshop would have to cut the impact bar inside about 1.5 inch on each side and the ducts will have to be cut as well. The harness conversion is a little tricky but thats it. I would recommend at this point to paint the entire car.
Old 11-28-2003 | 08:35 PM
SPR
Drifting

I do know the decklid is the same but just didn't know about the tail lights. Right I looked up the impact bar mods and the ducts. So there is a harness conversion eh? btw I am definitely going to paint the whole car, that's why I am going to do the front also! sweet.
Old 11-28-2003 | 10:36 PM
jkim996
Intermediate

I think you're gonna need a new deck lid. The lines for the C4s and the turbo are different form the C2's. They (c4s and TT) has a more angular indentation where the red and white parts meet on the light. examine the TT, C4s and the C2 and you will notice a big difference. I've also heard you can't use a TT deck on a C4s -even though they look the same. The bolt patterns are different. So depending on which fenders you use you will have to use the same part numbers unless you go aftermarket like techart. Same reason for the front fenders- the front fenders looks close to the '99- compared to the '03 but they are different.
Old 11-28-2003 | 10:38 PM
SPR
Drifting

yeah I have heared the same on the rear decklid with the turbo being too wide and the c4s and mine being the same. As for the front fenders they are listed as the same part number via pet.
Old 11-29-2003 | 05:02 PM
Darren911
Racer

good luck with the conversion - no matter how good the shop is no car is perfect after a seriousl accident ( not sure how bad yours was) I hope the conversion coems out to your liking but I personally would dump the car and start over if the frame was bent - good luck

Quick Reply: Alright screw it I am going for it all!