996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

High Performance 996 Headlights: Build Log

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Those look incredible. Beautiful work and craftsmanship.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:58 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Excellent!
Old 08-29-2017, 05:17 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

They are really sweet looking in person. The satin black & crystal clear fluted lexan GT3 RSR lenses are a show stopper. Pics from today.
Attached Images     

Last edited by RDS928S; 08-31-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:15 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

So how does one go about buying a set? I have always upgraded my lights in all my previous cars but the 996 has been a challenge.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:48 PM
twinturbowagon
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdrake
So how does one go about buying a set? I have always upgraded my lights in all my previous cars but the 996 has been a challenge.
I will shoot you a message and see if I can be of assistance.
Evan
Old 12-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Rick_H
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

They look awesome, very nice work!
Old 12-16-2017, 12:33 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

What’s your plan for washing the car without introducing water into the headlights now?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:26 PM
hauspwr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's an amazing update to the 996. Beautiful lights, beautiful car. I love it!
Old 03-08-2018, 04:19 PM
swiftvision
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a headlight mod guy myself, very nicely done.

Personally, I have learned that these mods are for the most part a complete waste of money and time. The amount and effort you went through seems completely ridiculous to me only for a little more output which, as you know, could have been achieved without opening the headlights.

I've learned that I'd rather have sealed, non-foggy headlights, versus 'cool' modified versions. But I also hate black painted headlights and working on the chrome internals without fingerprints/scratches is flat out impossible.

I do love the Miromoto stuff though but I'm guessing you charged no less than $3000 for the headlights.....can't believe someone actually paid that. I've always wondered how clearcorners.net stayed in business...
Old 03-08-2018, 05:16 PM
twinturbowagon
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swiftvision
As a headlight mod guy myself, very nicely done.

Personally, I have learned that these mods are for the most part a complete waste of money and time. The amount and effort you went through seems completely ridiculous to me only for a little more output which, as you know, could have been achieved without opening the headlights.

I've learned that I'd rather have sealed, non-foggy headlights, versus 'cool' modified versions. But I also hate black painted headlights and working on the chrome internals without fingerprints/scratches is flat out impossible.

I do love the Miromoto stuff though but I'm guessing you charged no less than $3000 for the headlights.....can't believe someone actually paid that. I've always wondered how clearcorners.net stayed in business...
Not sure what the point of this post was since you commended me on my efforts, state that you are a "headlight mod guy" yourself, and then proceeded to bash everything that was done based off your personal assessment of the situation in which you make assumptions? I don't get it.

Value is relative, so what you value may not directly translate to the view of others believe it or not.

Foggy headlights can happen, it can happen to brand new oem headlights, it happens on a Koenigsegg. If modified headlights leak or not depends on the attention to detail and skills of the retrofitter and let me tell you, not all retrofitters are created equal.

I helped a fellow forum member build these lights so the build was tailored around his requests and an upgraded fog projector with a yellow light output was what he wanted. Is it what I personally would have done? No, I would have put the resources into upgrading the projector to the Lexus RX350 Bi-Xenon.

Morimoto is a dead average aftermarket lighting company, they are a huge global company which does an EXCELLENT job marketing (it worked on you) and designing "easy to retrofit" projectors for the masses who don't have the skills to execute a "proper" retrofit, their projector performance is usually sacrificed for keeping the footprint small and the projector easy to retrofit. The reliability of their HID components leave a lot to be desired, I prefer using oem components whenever possible.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:56 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

These are really nice lights imo. The 996 is regarded as a great platform to mod, so tasteful work like this can incrementally add character to different builds. At some point in the next few years, I'm thinking of asking for a set. Thanks for sharing the photos & keep up the good work.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:37 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just curious why you opted for the RSR lenses rather than the 996.2 Carrera non-washer option lenses? They look the same with the fluting and appear to only differ by not having the adjustment hole through the front of the lens. Were you unaware of these as an option? Ultimately, I wish there were a Turbo (non-fluted) without washer option. But I can't seem to find any. I keep looking at Euro and ROW Turbos hoping that maybe it was an option somewhere else. But I think I'm going to have to use the 996.2 Washer delete option to get the cleaner look.

Also, here's the LED Parking lights that I am using. They look much better than the stock halogen parking lights. I thought you might like to use them in your lights as well. The color temp is nearly dead on with the Litronic low beams as opposed to the stock Halogens which are way off. They're also brighter than the Halogens.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-02-2019, 12:21 AM
dannyway
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, this may be a bit off topic, but I'm very interested in this project and want to know the custom DRL available.

I would like to add a DRL like below. Do you do this job?

reference:
https://store.ijdmtoy.com/products/r...ojector-35-091
Old 10-05-2021, 03:46 PM
intercom
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twinturbowagon
Up next is the HID ballasts. The stock Gen 3 Hella ballasts which came on the 996 may not look like much but are arguably the best ever made due to their strong output, very fast warm up time, and their excellent reliability. As a bonus they can be "boosted" by swapping MOSFETs to improve efficiency and adding resistors to increase the output. Think of this as turbo charging since both output and efficiency are increased, the ballasts are simply over driven so even in their uprated state the reliability is excellent. Truly phenomenal ballasts! I can boost these to 41.5, 43, 46, 59, or 55w. We decided to go right in the middle at 46w.

Hey Evan! Can you give a few details on what MOSFET(s) and Resistor you used/which MOSFETs were replaced? Would really like to mod my ballasts to get some additional performance out of my lights!
Old 10-05-2021, 08:40 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 920 Posts

Do you or anyone else make upgraded lights for the 996.1 I’m interested in a set
thanks Mike

Quick Reply: High Performance 996 Headlights: Build Log