Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993TT - What do you think this is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 02:03 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 993TT - What do you think this is worth?

993TT in Houston

Hey there. My brother bought a car from them so I know they're fairly reputable. I spoke with the owner and he said that the previous owner missed a shift and blew the transmission.

Cosmetically they resprayed the hood and bumper cover. The local Porsche dealership repaired the clutch and tranny which cost appoximately 11k.

1-Should I move on?
2-What sort of discount should I ask for for the prior damage?

I'd like to buy a red/black/white 993TT and I like it for 60k but not for much more.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 10-27-2003, 02:43 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Marcus,
Do you know what dealership it was done at? If you could find out I'd go talk to them about what was done. If it has all the records and it checks out after speaking to the dealer that did the work I would think you could proceed.

One other thought is that for ~60k you should be able to find a TT in good condition without such things to worry about as above.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:14 PM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Nota_troll,
What if... on one occasion, the repainting is the result of a collision?
and also.... Isn't the likelyhood of dropping a valve under over rev situation is significantly higher than blowing a tranny?

but oops, they wouldn't tell you that would they?

Some dealers will say anything to sell a stuck car. just personal experience. no offence intended
Old 10-27-2003, 04:22 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why along with everything else did the car need a clutch at 22,000 miles. Find a car without a story.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:32 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Thank you all. I've been super busy since I posted this so I'm just getting to this.

I think Momentum did the work. I'm not offended by anyone's remarks. I'm looking for thumbs ups or slaps in the faces.

What I usually do is have a PPI done at a friends shop (http://www.lawellmotorsports.com), with a leakdown test, on all cars I look at especially if it's from a dealer

I understand everyone's reluctance to jump on a car that already has admitted paintwork. I'm also looking at several others too. Just throwing this one out.

AH!! What about this one? Look at the contact page of http://www.ychrome.com.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:39 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

The paint work on this car per se is not a problem. I am sure many 911s have had the front bumper and hood touched up for rock chips (although at 22,000 miles you should still be in good original shape unless you like to follow gravel trucks at close range). On my first 993 I had to have the front bumper and hood repainted because a Colgan Bra hazed the paint and it would not come out (Colgan paid for this, by the way). I disclosed this upon resale and no one seemed to care. In fact, I think it was a positive as the car looked brand new (it had 50,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition except for 50,000 miles worth of commuter rock chips - which were gone after the re-paint).

Do you know why the hood was painted and/or why the tranny had to be replaced? If you want to find a really nice 993TT with no stories in your price range you are likely going to have to go for more mid-mileage cars - say 40,000 miles and up. My 993TT had about 20,000 miles on it when I bought it and it now has around 38,000 miles. I drives better today than when I bought it.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:04 PM
brian J
Instructor

I have been following the 96/97tt market closely now for a couple of months and I have not seen 1 decent car priced anywhere near $60k.

$65-75k seems to be the going rate for 96 and 97,s right now. IMO
Old 10-27-2003, 09:25 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ZCAT3
Do you know why the hood was painted and/or why the tranny had to be replaced? If you want to find a really nice 993TT with no stories in your price range you are likely going to have to go for more mid-mileage cars - say 40,000 miles and up. My 993TT had about 20,000 miles on it when I bought it and it now has around 38,000 miles. I drives better today than when I bought it.
He said the repaint is because he wanted to make the car perfect due to the rock chips and since he was there he got the hood painted too.

Ultimately I'll have the car put on a lift. I like the red and it's local which is one reason I'm looking at this one.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:32 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too always have a ppi done before I get a car. I also of course drive it in varrying conditions etc. I would tell the guy that if it has ever been in any accident however so slight legally he has to tell you. I bet something will be uncovered even if it is downplayed. I would personally rather buy a car with rock chips on it because I know it hasn't been stuffed- certis peribus.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:47 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Check on the underside of the hood for the original options sticker. If it still has that sticker, then its the original hood, and a respray was probably purely cosmetic. I wouldn't put too much worry on it unless there was chassis damage. A good body shop should be able to tell about that quite easily.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:29 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Steve. Look for the original sticker under the hood and make sure a good body shop can tell you the parts that were painted were not damaged badly. Hopefully, not at all, other than stone chips. Get the car in the sun and check out the paint match. You can ask if body filler was used as part of the re-spray.

Ask about the transmission rebuild. Maybe get a parts list of the rebuild. It would be nice if ungraded syncros were used but that's not a show stopper.

Drive the car where you can go through all the gears. How does it engage? Get it warmed up and shift kind of fast through each gear. Does it pop out of gear. Obvious stuff, I know. That seems to be my forte.--obvous. Make sure you test reverse also.

If everything was done right, sounds like it is worth considering because you should be able to negotiate a good price.

Get a good shop to do a PPI.

Good luck. Let us know how this turns out.

chuck
Old 11-09-2003, 02:21 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't answer your question about price. If the car looks perfect, maybe try $57K? Perhaps this is too low/wishful thinking. But there should be an adjustment for the partial repaint.

chuck
Old 11-09-2003, 11:28 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

They want 72k. Even with a 'markdown' for the paintwork and transmission work they wouldn't go less than 68k. Forget it.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

csertich:

I noticed your local. I am in G'Town also. Okleigh.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:22 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug H-I sent you a private message.
Thanks,
chuck

Quick Reply: 993TT - What do you think this is worth?