Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I dont understand turbo cabs

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the Porsche factory tour a couple of years ago. The tour guide pointed out that the US market was "very important" to Porsche and that a lot of effort is put into understanding what the American market will buy (WILL buy, not MIGHT buy). So I am of the opinion that everything Porsche sells is a result of extensive marketing research that tells them they will make a killing selling those vehicles in the US.

People talk a lot about German engineering. Heck, it's the German marketing!! The folks at Porsche are very, very smart.

Let's see if I can start something new - the thing that amazes me is how "unfriendly" a lot of Porsche owners are these days. I'll explain - from the mid-90's, when I bought my first Porsche ('86 Carrera), upon seeing another owner we would flash headlights at each other - like waving 'hi' or "nice car". It was SOOOO cool to find a fellow "flasher". It made me feel like I was part of a club/team that were proud as heck to own the finest car made. Like OG (that is, who cares what kind of Porsche one drives), I am one who will flash my headlights at any Porsche owner out of respect and pride for the name.

Nowadays however, fewer and fewer owners flash their headlights. I've NEVER had a Boxster owner "flash" nor any water-cooled Turbo owners - they seem so "into" their cars but not into the lore of what makes the Porsche such a fantastic car - the traditions, you know. Anybody else out there experienced this??

Dan
'97 993tt
Old 10-23-2003, 07:10 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Dan,

Absolutely. I have exactly the same experience with all the water-pumpers. No wave, no flash back. They are a different group of people. There is a beautiful 996TT that is parked near my work. He has PARK-A-TRONIC. Holy shmoley. A different group of people.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:53 PM
01-996
Intermediate

While i think you somewhat have a a valid point about the stupidity of the turbo cab, I cant agree with you about "all new porsche buyers are just for show" I think that there are many different reasons why people buy porsches. My favorite car is a 993RS. I was only able to budget my car buy leasing it throught my business at 23. I wanted a c2s or even would have settled for a narrowbody 993, but the fact they are out of warranty and I could not lease it madfe it an unwise decision. A porsche is a porsche is a porsche. There is that feeling that you get when you turn it on and it just comes alive. Like waking a teenage child. People usually want to be with people the have things in common with. The 996 guys just like to talk about their cars. All im saying is that maybe there is more to it than you sometimes think....
Old 10-24-2003, 01:01 AM
4flynlow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

I for one like the TT cabs. These cars are not intended for the track and what better to tour around in then a Turbo cabriolet. Most of the people who own these cars have several and this is just one selected from their stable on for those special times when warranted.I truly enjoy driving with the top down on a beautiful day on a special road.I would have a hard time choosing a better car for such an occasion although a few in the Ferrari line come to mind.
Jeffry
Old 10-24-2003, 06:16 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally posted by 01-996
A porsche is a porsche is a porsche. There is that feeling that you get when you turn it on and it just comes alive.
You come on the 993tt forum and compare our legends to a 3.2litre V6 VW Cayenne
Old 10-24-2003, 06:02 PM
01-996
Intermediate

Maybe YOU should reconsider who the true enthusiast is? As stated the 993 is my favorite Porsche model period! I do want to mention though that you say all the "new buyers" desire the creature comforts of todays 911, then why did the93-94 RSAmericas sit on dealers lots for years????? Same reason why GT-3 are not doing great, the average Prosche buyer has and always will be a show off. A true entusiast is hard to find. As stated before, us rennlisters are such a tiny part of the porsche community. And to a 8 who saw a 959 for the first time and got his first wood (me) a porsche is a porsche is a porsche.........
Old 10-26-2003, 08:35 AM
morganb
Instructor

Guys

FYI there is a 993 3.6 turbo cab for sale here in HK.
Apparetly it was a special factory order.
See the car at http://www.porsche.com.hk/en/approve...id=9109&typ=GW
Old 10-26-2003, 12:09 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

I for one think that the TT cab is a great marketing idea. It is targeted at the really wealthy, first-time Porsche owner, who wants the best, even if he or she has no idea what that is. Why should Porsche educate them as to what is the best- it will keep them out of the GT2 and GT3 markets! We should be happy about this tactic by Porsche... these buyers help keep Porsche healthy and independent.

Besides, if I could afford a garage-full of Porsches, I would certainly buy one. It is just that I can only afford one right now and I choose to have something totally different. If you all want to chip in and get me one, I certainly would find it in my heart to accept it with gratitude!
Old 10-27-2003, 01:22 AM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

There is also a 4S cab now.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:01 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

If I had a garage full of Porsche's,using your idea Tom,
I would have a N/A cab and I would have a TT. I would
use the cab for tooling around in the srping and fall
with the top down. I would use the TT coupe for finding
open curvy roads out here in the desert for blasting and
improving my driving skills while dreaming of the autobahn.
Can you go 140 with the top down?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:46 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

Seems to me that F1 cars are cabs, so fast and topless in many instances are rarely mutually exclusive.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve, F1 cars are just a little bit narrower, allowing for
incredible chassis stiffness.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:07 AM
Rennphile
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree with Old Guy on this one. The TT cab really is a silly car. However, you can't really fault Porsche for building a car for which there is a clear market. I suppose you could argue that such cars do dilute the brand a little.

For myself, I'm always slightly embarrassed that we Americans buy cars like this. I know of a couple of guys with older Turbo cabs and they tell me how much they also love their full-size SUV's...
Old 11-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

It's likely that the same driver could drive the "Ring" as fast with a new 996 Turbo Cab than in a 996 Turbo, so where exactly is the compromise? I get that perhaps for safety, you might feel better with a tin top in spirited driving, but I imagine that for 95% of Rennlist members, they couldn't drive a car to the point to distinguish between a cab or coupe' - I won't name names.

To some people, real sports cars are topless, and that's why they command a premium. The first Porsche was a cab and so is the latest ueber auto Carrera GT. A turbo 996 cab makes sense to me from both a chassis dynamics and business rationale. Doesn't make me want a 993 Turbo any less, though.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I can throw my 50 cents worth in......

What if a Boxster S and a 996 cab don't have enough straight line speed for you ?
My wife and I discussed a 996 TT cab - for her. [she is an absolute petrolhead]
The Boxster S and 996 cabs aren't quick enough for her LOL

So we tend to view it as a powerful cab, rather than a compromised TT

On the subject of body flex.....
Has anybody driven one yet ? They may be more rigid than we think they are.
The Boxster is very rigid, why wouldn't the TT cab be just as good ?

Quick Reply: I dont understand turbo cabs