Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 993TT unstable at high speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:40 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 993TT unstable at high speeds?

Have been reading some test drives about the 993TT from credible magazines and almost all of them mention that at speeds above 250Kph the car feels a bit unstable. In one of the test drives, there was a professional car racer, that loved almost everything about the car, but said that at high speeds, car become almost dangerous

I also would like to know if the 993TT is confortable for long drives, say 5 or 6 hours drive, manely regarding wind noise, is it to noisy inside the cabin, is there any wind whistle near the windows at high speeds, or does the engine sound feels the cabin? Thanks in advance

J.Seven
Old 10-20-2003, 08:00 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had mine up to 185mph(300kph) twice and it was very stable. The motorcycles chasing me were practically going airborne, but I was comfy with the A/C on.(didn't try the cruise control!) I make an 800 mile round trip monthly and find the car to be quiet enough to listen to books on CD and arrive refreshed. Wind and engine noise are muted and I'm not a masochist. The car is at US ride height and stock, except for an FVD chip and S oil cooler.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:17 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

911/Q45, those are exactly the first mods I want to make as soon as I get my hands on a used 993TT, the FVD ECU and oil cooler. According to them this is good for 440Hp. Have you felt a big difference in power, was the low end torque noticeble better, or does the power difference is felt manely at high revs, was it worth it? Thanks in advance.

J.Seven
Old 10-21-2003, 12:58 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Since i have had mine I have had it up to 145 twice and it was fine on a nice road ( this was on a closed track in maylasia) Once on
a not so nice road it was fine too but a bit more nervous. But
I dont think Porsche would design a car like this and allow it
to be unstable. this one of the finest road cars in the world.
It does everything well. I think those mags were on drugs
Old 10-21-2003, 07:11 AM
krish
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

But
I dont think Porsche would design a car like this and allow it
to be unstable. this one of the finest road cars in the world.
It does everything well. I think those mags were on drugs
You said it OG . I've had mine up to 300+kph and while she did seem to feel a little floaty it wsn't anything that had me worried. Up to 300, planted... The 993tt has to be properly aligned to behave though especialy it's kinematic toe. Mine was out for a while after I had her and she did handle strangely at high speed (rear steer) on dips on the motorway. Once this was dialled in, no problemo. Do have PSS-9's with Rennsport rear perches as well though...
Old 10-21-2003, 08:00 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

I have an article where an RS Tuning engined 993tt with stock bodywork (apart from a Strosek front spoiler) and wheels was taken to 217mph on the Autobahn.
Sport Auto recorded 17kg of lift at the rear axle at 200kph which compares with the latest GT2 which had 7.5kg of downforce at the rear axle at 200kph
Personally I have seen some big numbers with stock bodywork (apart from turbo S front spoiler) with no problems.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:18 AM
J.Seven
Instructor

TB993tt, was that RS article you mention, printed on the Sport Auto German magazine? If it´s a red 993TT near a Jet plane, I have it too on my mags archive. What were the times for the 0-100Kph and 0-200Kph? I believe to 200Kph it made something like 11,9seg, but this was maybe in 1996, so I don´t remember quite well. I do remember it was scary fast, you car must be near those accelaration numbers.

J.Seven
Old 10-21-2003, 09:16 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

if you don't mind me chiming in,
I think the gt2 tail will give you quite a bit of extra downforce should you require it.
If i'm not mistaken, i believe the gt2 wing is one of the few that will easily give you up to 80kg at 240km/h
It has the adjustable rake and angle of attack. In between the various settings, i'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
After installing mine, i noticed how much more the rear squats at high speed... 280-300km/h

The only setback is the aggressive look, that not everyone will appreciate.

p.s Those side pods do actually work well.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:46 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally posted by J.Seven
TB993tt, was that RS article you mention, printed on the Sport Auto German magazine? If it´s a red 993TT near a Jet plane, I have it too on my mags archive. What were the times for the 0-100Kph and 0-200Kph? I believe to 200Kph it made something like 11,9seg, but this was maybe in 1996, so I don´t remember quite well. I do remember it was scary fast, you car must be near those accelaration numbers.

J.Seven
J Seven
That is the one.
The figures were (from memory) 0-100kph 3.7s, 0-200kph 10.1s and 0-300kph in 19.8s from 533ps and 755NM weighing 1500kg.
You are right these figures are scary fast, interestingly my car with similar numbers manages 0-200 in about 12s - I always thought there was something amiss here, when one day I noticed the very same car for sale in Auto und Motorsport - but the engine was now apparently producing 700ps
My belief is that RS did the opposite of what many tuners do and under exaggerated
Have to correct my last post 'cos this car had a special "one off" sloped bonnet and raked windscreen with less drag.
Superyellowfly
The problem with those big wings is that yes whilst they do work and do what you say, they also slow you down significantly, particularly at the higher speeds. Take the recent shootout where the Merc SL55 beat the 996GT2 to 300kph by about 8 seconds (they were neck and neck at 200kph)
Old 10-21-2003, 09:49 AM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've driven the car for 11 hours straight, from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Sheriden Wyoming (about 850 miles), mostly interstate highway. Speeds were mostly legal, 75 to 85 mph.

No Wind noise. Could hear still hear the factory hi fi stereo.

Legs were cramped a bit (left side speaker acts a a cheese grater on my knee, and on the side the center console hits my other knee), but I'm 6'1", 260 lbs. I miss my old '78 sc which didn't have the center console or the hi fi sound speaker (leg rested agains the smooth door panel). I did end up moving both seats back to the rear most bolt hole positions, since this trip, I think this will help next time.

Other than, that it makes a great "grand touring" car. It's fun stopping for gas in the middle of no where and watching the crowds gather to ask questions and gawk.

I've been up to about 130 and it feels very stable (feels like your going 70 mph in any other car).
Old 10-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

After buying my car in NJ I drove it to florida just last month. Much of the time (late at night )I drove 150 for long stretches. The car felt great and wanted to go still faster. I found the long trip was a breeze in the TT. Mike W
Old 10-21-2003, 12:30 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

TB993tt, those are indeed the best times I ever saw in a 993TT , only the 993 TT RS from FVD with claimed 490Hp managed to be faster till 100Kph, it made 3,6 Sec weighting 1370Kg with full gas tank, but took 12,8 sec to 200Kph. I´ve the full test from more than 7 or 8 highly tuned 993TT from 430Hp to 600 and more Hp at home, I´ll post some pics and accelaration figures later on.
Your car must be scary fast too,and I can see from several of your posts that your main consern was to have reliable 500 or more HP to play with. There are several tuners on the market offering huge hp gains with minor mods, but I´m sure those didn´t had much success with you

jebia, I´m 6.3 / 1,90Mt and riding on the 993TT passenger seat was quite unconfortable for me, my legs were touching the wind screen
(just a joke) but indeed cabin seemed a bit small for tall guys. Taking the driver seat was a different story, although I didn´t have the chance to make a big ride, after 10 minutes driving I found myself well seated, driving position is far from perfect, but I had enough space to feel confortable. On a 11 hors trip, that might be different. But I´m very interested to know what you did to gain some legs space, you say "I did end up moving both seats back to the rear most bolt hole positions, since this trip, I think this will help next time." Is it really possible to make this, this is a must for something with my height, can you specify a bit please? Do you need to take out the driver seat to make this? Thanks in advance.

superyellowfly, I agree with you, but you would need to put also the GT2 front bumper, in order to have balanced down forces on the front and rear, otherwise, by only dropping the GT2 wing, at high speed you would have your front pointing to the sky

J.Seven
Old 10-21-2003, 01:21 PM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

J. Seven,

I removed the bolts between the seat frame and the seat rail. One bolt (on each side) in the front and two bolts (on each side) in the rear. They are allen head, and you need to raise the seat all the way, and depending on which your working on, move the seat forward or rearward (I've got supple leather with the 3 power adjustment switchs), but you can get to the bolts with a rachet and allen socket.

After removing the bolts, I just slide the seat frame rear ward, holding the tracks still, to the rear most set of tapped screw holes. When you do this you will notice that you'll only find one set of holes to use vs the two in the forward position. I thought about the implications of now attaching the seat with 4 bolts vs 6, and decided it was ok.

Now the seat goes back father that I need it to (you get into the situation where the stearing wheel is to far back). I used to have the seat back all the way it can go, and now I seem to have about another inch of adjust ment back that I don't use.

I ended up doing the passenger seat as well, about 20 minutes per side.

I'm guessing I gained a couple of inches, but it feels like a lot.

I feel dumb for not doing this a right after I bought the car ( a year ago), but I didn't realize I had these extra holes to work with (I read about them on this forum last month after doing a search on seats).

Jon

Quick Reply: Is the 993TT unstable at high speeds?