Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What oil weight are you using in your TT?
0w-40
23.53%
15w-50
55.88%
10w-40
2.94%
10w-50
11.76%
10w-60
5.88%
other
0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

TT oil weight poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003 | 08:54 PM
Lance
AutoX

Jeff 993TT - The Andial solution modifies the turbo oil return pipes (Items 20 and 21 on your reference diagram) from the turbos to the rear oil return pump (Item 22). The modification entails bending the pipes in a very different shape such that they run higher then the plane defined by oil pump oil return entrys. The new pipes come out of the return oil pump and go up about 1-2 inches and then come down to the turbos as opposed to the stock pipes which come straight out and go down to the turbos. This rise is done to break the siphoning of oil from the oil return pump to the lower mounted turbos. Presumably, the siphoned oil backs up in (floods) the turbos and can result in leaks or smoking. There are no check valves within the new pipes - it's all done with bends.

I believe that Andial also stated that this pipe modification is essentially a copy of the technique Porsche used for the 996 TT.

My TT didn't leak or smoke before the pipe modification nor after. It also didn't leak or smoke with 15w50 or the current 0w40. This is with Porsche provided turbos.

Lance
97 ASilver/Blk tts
Old 09-17-2003 | 09:26 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Great explanation Lance...

I'm glad to hear they didn't use any check valves. That was my main hesitation with going with them at the time. Perhaps when I called them ( a year ago ), they were still experimenting with version 1 of the tubes??

I took a look at the oil return tubes for the 996 TT and they indeed do that have that funky bend in them: http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Image3.gif

Do you happen to have any pics of the tubes on your 993TT handy? And how much did Andial charge for the tubes? Are they just 996 oil tubes in disguise?
Old 09-17-2003 | 11:24 PM
krish
Instructor

10w-60 myself Jeff. I have smoke as well if I leave her standing for anything longer then three days. She will then start to smoke about 30 secs after startup and so far as I have noticed as long as I just let her idle she'll continue smoking. Having said that I have not let her idle longer then a couple of mins as my driveway starts looking like the Normandy beach landings (heavy, heavy smokescreen ). If I just drive off though the smoke seems to clear up almost immediately. And if I drive her every day, no problem.

SYF, Let us know more about your mod , I' m all ears

cheers,
Kris
'97 993tt
'89 535I
Old 09-18-2003 | 01:35 AM
Lance
AutoX

Jeff 993TT - Yes, Andial was still experimenting with the oil return pipes a year ago. They didn't go public with the solution until about March 03.

The bends of the 996 TT as shown on your diagram do show the "funky" bends and they appear a bit different then the 993 TT solution. The Andial 993 TT left return line looks very different than the return line in the 996 TT diagram while the 993 TT right side return line looks similar to the return line in the 996 TT diagram. I'm not sure how to answer "Are they just 996 oil tubes in disguise?" I don't believe they are interchangeable - if that's what your asking?

Andial charged $295.00 for both lines (about $1.00 worth of fittings and tubing - and $294.00 for the knowledge of where to bend them).

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the new pipes. Call Pete at Andial and maybe he will take a picture (or already has one).

Lance
97 Asilver/blk tts
Old 09-18-2003 | 03:40 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

jeff,
sorry about the image quality, took them in a rush this morning on the way out

let me know which shots you want close ups of
Old 09-18-2003 | 03:47 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

SYF, thanks for the pics.. That's interesting.. In your previous post you mentioned the "oil fitler housing/ thermostat that contains a shut valve" and I just thought you typed that in error, and really meant the small engine oil filter mounting area.

But, as I can see in your pics, it's indeed the oil tank housing ( where the large filter goes ). This gives me an idea.. Perhaps the oil tank filter is sensitive to tightness as the engine oil filter is? Is there a check valve in the oil tank filter? I can't remember.

Let me know how it works out for you. How much did it cost?

Did RUF give you any other explanation to how/why it works?
Old 09-18-2003 | 07:03 PM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

I believe the housing was reworked to provide a better flow... but also something about it that reduces smoking too.... not entirely sure

I am under the belief that there is something special about it as RUF wouldnt reveal exactly what was done (perhaps steve will)

mine came under rufs excellent warranty
(alot of bitching and moaning about paying so much for the car )

but i'll enquire for you if you'd like...
loui will say... Itz zomezing spezial

Quick Reply: TT oil weight poll