Sponsored by:

Spark plug question??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003 | 12:49 AM
krish
Instructor

Default Spark plug question??

Need some advice guys,

My TT is in the shop for a new clutch (RS flywheel, GT-2 clutch and pressure plate - Thanks Steve W..... Woo Hoo! ) and since they've dropped the engine I decided to do some minor work on it. One of which was changing the plugs. Guess what I was quoted for the Bosch FR6 LDC? Wait for it....... USD $32.00 each

Obviously someone's figured out that these only go on a Porsche 993tt (Our consumer market is really small..) and has decided that there is no such thing as an indecent margin.

I did a search on NGKs' site and they list their BKR6EK plug as suitable for the 993tt. Price USD$5.00 each which is a heck of a lot more reasonable. Advice and feedback guys? Are these plugs okay, would they work fine or would I encounter problems?

Thanks in advance,

cheers,
Kris
'97 993tt
'89 535I
Old 09-17-2003 | 01:57 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

$32 each is a bit crazy. I think that more like $50 for all 6 sounds more reasonable. Did you try to call pelican parts or suncoat porsche as other data points?
Old 09-17-2003 | 03:04 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Kris:

Oh man,.....$32 each is pure larceny.

I wish I'd known since I would have put 6 of those in with the clutch & flywheel pieces,...
Old 09-17-2003 | 03:28 AM
krish
Instructor

Thanks for the refs Jeff. I was quoted this price from local Bosch dealers here in Malaysia. The problem here is that I can't wait for the plugs to be shipped to me. I WANT MY CAR BACK NOW . I CAN'T WAIT TO DRIVE HER AND SEE HOW SHE RESPONDS WITH THE NEW CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL! . Plus she's been away for a week already so I miss her....

Duuuuhhhhhh, my fault here Steve. I knew the engine had to be dropped to get at the clutch but couldn't think beyond that..... A little more planning next time on my part might work . I dropped you a note on intercooler hoses, did you get it?

Still need feedback on the NGK BKR6EK. Anyone?

cheers,
Kris
'97 993tt
'89 535I
Old 09-17-2003 | 04:09 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

the RS clutch is going to be superb, your spool up will improve significantly...

Steve,
on the side note, i remember my RS clutch kit used to chatter abit while in idle... was it normal or just a poor installation?
Old 09-17-2003 | 12:24 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Kris:

I sent you an e-mail about the IC hoses,....

Stick with the Bosch plugs.

SYF:

The RS flywheels have no damping (this why they are light) and one does hear transmission backlash at idle and low RPM. This is entirely normal and nothing to be worried about.

LOL,...This is why Porsche used the dual-mass thing in the first place,....

Quick Reply: Spark plug question??