Sponsored by:

DME/plug question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default DME/plug question

Last track day (9-26) there were some instances which I felt a slight hesitation. Drove home (210 miles) and didn't really get into a whole lot but seemed to run fine on way home. This past weekend on a PCA drive to Yosemite, the second half of the day I def. knew there was a problem. Had plugs in since May 2013 and not many miles, maybe 2500-3000. Went ahead and pulled them. A little carbon fouling. Nothing wet but they looked tired. Went ahead and replaced with same (Denso IK22's gapped at .020-.022). Car started fine and seemed ok but not real smooth. Took it out and let it warm up for a couple miles. Got into it and it's back to where it should be :-)
Question is, does the DME take a different angle when the plugs are getting rough? Was my initial start (and what felt like it wasn't right) idle not as smooth because DME had to adapt to new plugs? Lastly, what do you think of these plugs? The car runs pretty rich so I assume the plugs will wear prematurely. Thanks in advance
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  141.9 KB
Old 10-25-2014, 02:32 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Well fwiw I guess if it's carbon fouling the plugs are too hot in range and you might need cooler plugs (or drive harder), your temps are too low for the plugs to clean. I'm not sure but wouldn't be surprised if the ecu was doing something. If you think they are looking worn, perhaps there's some preignition and timing retard, which may also cause some carbon build up... Maybe some bad gas contributing? When I feel hesitation I always assume timing and boost retard by ecu for some reason. What ecu were you running again ?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:48 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response. I initially was told the ecu was from a 97. I sent the numbers to Steve W. and he said it's an N/A 98 ecu and was sorta stunned it worked in my TT. I don't know who did the work on it, but it's been fine and car (other than the recent plugs) has never run better. So if I just stay into more then that should help keep temps up to where they need to be to clean the plugs? It seems that my car never really gets hot. I have to try and get it to "9 o-clock" on temp gauge.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

It's been posted previously that a NA ecu will start our cars, and can be used for trouble shooting if there's some ecu problem since NA ecu's are easier to find. I think Protomotive uses NA ecu and pressure sensing for some of their builds, I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong. If you're using a external boost controller, it can be made to work. You can spend more days at the track I suppose but might consider using plugs that match your driving style. If you don't have an external boost controller, it would be interesting to see the boost levels... I've played with an ecu meant for a external boost controller (without one hooked up) and it seemed to keep boost reasonable when driving hard through the gears but if you gun it in say 3rd, it would boost to quite high levels! (went like stink though )
Old 10-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

those plugs look super rich. I"d want to have a look at your tune.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:49 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

I guess I'll just drive it harder on a regular basis. Equals more fun. I do have an EBC and have it set about mid ponit on "gain" and at about 2/3's on boost. Would civil driving to track be enough to cause that much fouling? About 120 miles to MRLS.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I think most of the tuned kits use the 5bar fpr and run rich to avoid detonation, it's probably safe, just fouls plugs and poor gas milage/might shoot flames!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:53 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

That's the reassurance I wanted. Guess I will make the plugs an annual thing. I'm actually getting better at it. The swivel end sparkplug socket has made life so much easier. Less chance of losing something in the abyss. Thanks for the input. MRLS in 2 weeks :-) :-) woohoo can't wait

Another question: does anyone use an octane boost that reaps any benefits?
Old 10-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
The swivel end sparkplug socket has made life so much easier. .... MRLS in 2 weeks :-) :-) woohoo can't wait

Another question: does anyone use an octane boost that reaps any benefits?
Have you figured out a good way to keep the plug socket on the swivel extender apart from duct tape? I wish the retractable little ball could only be retracted push button style like some ratchets, I just keep getting the socket detaching from the swivel extender once the plug's tightened down.

I've been using the NOS brand octane booster at the track but have no idea if it is really doing anything. The Andial runs really great. I've already bought some race gas for next season so I can leave my friends further in the dust
I just have to wait til April
Old 10-25-2014, 07:55 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  7.7 KB this is what I bought. It made it so much easier. The swivel is at the opening of the valve cover and no worry of it slipping off.

Quick Reply: DME/plug question