Making the intercooler more efficient with CO2

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 03:35 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Making the intercooler more efficient with CO2

This must be the company cjv used for that CO2 cooled bulb he used in the intake airstream - did it work, the dyno data showed reduced power which he put down to the obstruction of the bulb in the intake. I like the look of their CO2 intercooler spray set up - does anyone know anything about this outfit ?
http://www.designengineering.com/
Old 08-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TB993, what do you think about this?

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng22.shtml

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0527&P=1

It's a water based mister system that cools your intercooler. It's computer controlled so the misting is somewhat intelligent.

However, I wonder how one would mount the spray nozzle over our intercooler. Unfortuantely, the location of the intercooler does not have a tunnel before it, which would make it the easiest.

I was also thinking something like this would be great for the oil coolers also.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:18 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

we have talked about this a lot on the 951 boards, it is good in theory, and could do a very good job and keeping the IC cool, but there seems to be very little real world testing..
Old 08-12-2003, 08:33 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephen Kaspar at Imagine Auto is playing with such a system for his 996TT. He says the water injectors go after the intercooler as "it is a waste to cool air which is going to be cooled anyway. The HP goes up and TQ when after the intercooler. At that point you are making cooled air more dense hence a better combustion. Not to mention the removal of hot spots and a more regular flow into the intake." I know I read an article in Car And Driver about a WRX system using water injection.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2003, 02:21 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive toyed with the idea a few times before, i've seen it IC sprays in plenty of setups... direct injestion less so, only on extremely high output vehicles, with the intention of short runs only.
the air flow is pretty good over the top of the grill... i think the biggest benefit would be to use the spray on the oilcoolers... three in my case.

the tropic weather is unbearable for high boost operations, most cars... even the best of them suffer heating problems (track usage that is)

the most porsche applicable set up seen so far is a boost dependant toggle switch.
obviously... it only need be on at the track, it gets activated only by a preset boost level. some will argue that it be better on all the time, but the truth is the spray does emit a runoff of access water if not evaporated... not a good thing for the front tires.

in anycase... for the 993tt, the only time we really need additional cooling is on long stretches of high boost... our purpose would be to suppress the surge of temp(spike) following a boosted period, as such, the ic spray triggered by boost seems to match functions required.

there are a variety of options that can be exercised to meet specific applications

thoughts? critcisms?

Quick Reply: Making the intercooler more efficient with CO2