Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum-62/)
-   -   Dyno might have ruined my visc. coupl. (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/816867-dyno-might-have-ruined-my-visc-coupl.html)

owen meany 05-25-2014 06:21 PM

Dyno might have ruined my visc. coupl.

I did a Dyno test on a "AWD" Dyno set up at Thunderhill here in C.A. Two roller table and I had done it a couple of years ago. The difference this time was that they removed the belt that coupled the two rollers together. First pull had both wheels spinning. That was the last time they spun.
I think I know the answer to the question, but I'll ask anyway. Would the difference in speed between the two rollers (not coupled) be enough to wreck the viscous coupler? I limped the car home below 70 mph and was smelling gear oil by the end of the 3 hours. Sounded different too. No rattling, just friction noise.

If it's an obvious yes, where does that leave me in regards to compensation from the shop who (in my mind) should have known that they can't do my car on that equipment. Your honest opinions would be greatly appreciated. I know that these guys up there aren't making a lot of money but I can't afford to make this repair either.
Thanks for your advice.

TT Surgeon 05-25-2014 06:38 PM

Unfortunately, I think it may be fried. Usually when you dyno a car, they have you sign a release just for such occurances.

ronnie993tt 05-25-2014 06:42 PM

You're in America. Sue the bastard! Judge likely to sympathize and in British common law, and maybe your case law, waver is void if there's negligence.

owen meany 05-25-2014 08:32 PM

Yes there was a waiver, but I'm thinking that it might not hold up due to the incompetence factor. I'm not sure it should be my responsibility to know if it's compatible.

Ridin Dirty 05-26-2014 12:09 AM

Dealer retail replacement of vc is 3k easy. Indy will be significantly less but part still comes from the fatherland only.

any documentation stating the front wheels were spinning on first run? If not it's your word against theirs. But the threat of litigation should get them to agree to half an indy repair. just a thought. Also they should have insurance for this sort of thing (if their was no waiver)

Basal Skull 05-26-2014 12:18 AM

I'm sorry but an all wheel dyno (unless coupled mechanically) is a no no on these cars, well documented on these boards with multiple threads on the topic.
Should have checked here first prior to doing your
Dyno session. These cars are not that common, you have to do your homework.

ronnie993tt 05-26-2014 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Basal Skull (Post 11394199)
I'm sorry but an all wheel dyno (unless coupled mechanically) is a no no on these cars, well documented on these boards with multiple threads on the topic.
Should have checked here first prior to doing your
Dyno session. These cars are not that common, you have to do your homework.

Yes but I think it is the supplier of the service's legal responsibility to know. Guess that if you file suit they will settle for full amount out of court. Good luck.

Basal Skull 05-26-2014 01:17 AM

I don't know.. I would think it is use at your own risk sort of thing.

AiRick 05-26-2014 02:18 AM

Qwen, sorry about your V coupl

Have you thought about going rear wheel drive? Did you ever get that lean problem resolved? I was going out to Thunderhill around June 6th 7th Ill keep a heads up before I dyne there again. I have done it twice there with no problems. We finally have a fellow here in Reno that has a 4WD dyne. I have posted this video before but I will put it out again.

Basal Skull 05-26-2014 02:48 AM

The safest way to dyno is to just unhook the coupler in front of the trans, takes only few minutes and then you can use any dyno/rear wheel dyno.

Basal Skull 05-26-2014 02:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
it's this thing here, just loosen through the access hole and slide forward to uncouple the front drive

owen meany 05-26-2014 05:27 AM

Thanks for the thoughts.
As stated in the post. I had done it there successfully 2 years ago when they had the coupling belt. I had no idea they had taken the belt off.
AirRick, yes I did resolve all of my issues, car was running super strong. This was the first venture out in a long time of niggling little issues. Now a bigger issue to deal with. Good to hear from you.
I have thought of 2 wheel drive but eventually this car will be for sale and I know that it will sell better in awd.
Do NOT have your AWD car dyno'd there. Not that I needed to say it at this point, but...

MSR Racer 05-27-2014 01:26 AM

Take the front wheel drive off. It's ruining these cars. I have a 993 TT that I race. Why dyno these anyway? They are too powerful for street driving as they are.

Mike J 05-27-2014 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by surathdp (Post 11396316)
Take the front wheel drive off. It's ruining these cars. I have a 993 TT that I race.

Do you drive you car in the rain, or at least as much rain as we get on the west coast? I use the AWD drive system lots, and the car would struggle to put the power down in marginal conditions with two wheel drive. I am keeping the AWD intact, it's really makes these cars great in all kinds of weather. :)

Cheers,

Mike

OverBoosted28 05-27-2014 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by AiRick (Post 11394342)
Have you thought about going rear wheel drive? Did you ever get that lean problem resolved? I was going out to Thunderhill around June 6th 7th Ill keep a heads up before I dyne there again. I have done it twice there with no problems. We finally have a fellow here in Reno that has a 4WD dyne. I have posted this video before but I will put it out again.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu9FSuSdupA&feature=plcp

The guy in the vid looks like a hillbilly, there's alot them up there.