Sponsored by:

Imported European spec TTs ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 03:00 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imported European spec TTs ?

I am looking to buy a Porsche TT. In my searching I have come across an imported TT. I am not familiar with all that might be involved. I did read somewhere that this was something to stay clear of, but I don't recall the specifics of the article.

Anyway, if any of you would be so kind, please give me your thoughts on purchasing one of european spec cars vs the US spec cars. The seller did say that the vehicle had been brought up to US standards but he also said that there was very little difference in the standards and that very little had to be done.

Thanks for the information.

Eddie
Old 07-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddie, check the posts from the last week on this board and the 993 board.

Short answer is NOT to do it, unless you really, really, really want the car and money is no object.

Easier to get a USA car and then apply all the euro mods to it.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:24 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff - Thanks for the reply. I will look for the topic you mention from last week.

Eddie
Old 07-31-2003, 01:32 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it has DOT and EPA certification, the car is a great find. Otherwise, it might be difficult and expensive and time-consuming to make it street legal. Insurance might also be thin ice.

If this is your first Porsche, think about something easier.

If you're an old hand and you know your Porsches chapter and verse, I'd still counsel a patient and "by the letter" approach. I'd buy it on contingency that the car is titled, licensed, registered and insured to the satisfaction of the state and the insurer where I live. Assuming the car is "the one" ... keep in mind, of late, it's a buyer's market.

Quick Reply: Imported European spec TTs ?