Sponsored by:

Odd Turbo S for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 03:59 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the ride height look right? It looks SUV like to me. Anyways Bob your car would shred that stock S any day

Keith
Old 07-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by ksimpson
Then they are definitely factory fitted in my car. Both quarter panels were stripped down to the metal during recent body work and there were definitely no welds.
I haven't heard of the Turbo S ducts being available as a build option. Your car would have an option code under the hood and an entry on the window sticker. If you've lost the sticker, a $70 certificate from PCNA would confirm the build spec.
I also don't understand how they could build a '96 car with a '97 car feature? Maybe they're taking it from a 964 or the 959? ...

ps. What prompted the bare metal body work on the rear quarters?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ZCAT3
That is a nice car - that interior is kind of like Jeff's. To make it right you would need to fix the shifter and replace the bumper covers with the Euro style anyway - so you could go to the standard Turbo S look at that point. The reserve has to be well above 100K. I thought all the Turbo S car came with the "Turbo S" script stitched into the trunk pocket as well.
Good eyes! It _MUST_ have the "Turbo S script on the pocket of the trunk carpet, the trunk carpet has holes (not slots) cut (and not trimmed) around the black brackets holding the carbon fibre tube of the front strut brace, the Turbo S on the fake CF facia over the glove box air bag is correct as is the detail in every other photo except he doesn't show the Turbo S script on the back of the rear seat backs or the front floor mats. The window sticker corresponds to the car's options, including the wildly expensive carbon steering wheel. This car must have been a bear to order -- the dealer must have spent hours on phone and fax to make sure it all lined up with colours and contrast stitching.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by CP
Not that I'm doubting that it's a real TTS, but they could have shown the CF tower brace, which is a signature of the TTS.

I bet the reserve is quite a bit north of $100k. Cal Motorsports in Sunnyvale has one with 28k+ miles, and they're asking $109k for it. All their other cars are reasonably priced, so I'd think the TTS is not totally out of whack. That car drives soooooo nice.

CP
The signature of the Turbo S is the twin pipes of the exhaust. And this car does have the CF tube on the strut brace. The www.calmotorsports.com car has very high miles (by Turbo S) standards and it's in quite scrappy condition. I looked at it and I'd recommend any serious buyer be wary of the oil consumption in the engine of that particular car.
I'm told Porsche no longer provides the carbon tube as a part, even for Turbo S owners. I'd love to find one.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Autobahn
Bob,

I have looked it up for you so you can do this asap.
The Parts no. are:
993503980/98100
993503980/98101

Now, do I get some of your Louis XIII?
How and where did you get those part numbers?
Porsche is quite secretive about legit specific 993 Turbo S part numbers, so I have no easy way to verify.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ksimpson
As far as I know on the Turbo S, they are functional and provide air to the intercoolers. I have them as a factory option on my '96 C4S, however, they are purely aesthetic on an NA car. Not sure what's involved in actually making them functional on the TT.
The ducts on the rear flanks aren't functional -- stick your finger in there, it just hits the top of the plastic liner of the rear wheel arch. It's not functional and it's nothing to do with the intercoolers or air intake etc.
Turbo S owners have mentioned that when stopped, heat escapes through the duct, but there's not internal ducting, it's just air escaping as it rises from the heat.
I think perhaps "autobarn" (below) is talking about the nose "Turbo S" ducts which, again, aren't functional, but can be easily ducted to the hub of the front rotors.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Gert
I'm not 100% sure but it looks like the front bumper has been replaced.
It doesn't look "flush". Maybe it's the picture...

Also, as far as I know, the factory glued the Turbo S chin spoilers onto the bumper cover. So it isn't something you can remove.
Sadly, all 993 nose caps look that bad and the rubber (plastic) black joint between the nose and the hood and quarter panels is always a mess -- much to the annoyance of owners and body work repair people. But the alignment between the top of the nose cap and the leading edge of the hood is wrong. And it should be dead parallel.

For sure the front "chin" spoiler is missing. There are several "deal breaker" questions for a car with only 5000 miles or so:

Where's the original trunk carpet?

Where's the chin spoiler?

Why doesn't the hood line up with the nose cap?

Without a professional and expert inspection, you'd be pressing your luck buying this example. Plus, like it or not, that colour scheme in the cabin will reduce the price, not make it more exclusive.

Also, the numbers about 993 Turbo S production (quoted at 153) and the number of Polar Silver (quoted at 5) are just plain wrong. Polar was one of the more popular colours (and expensive, even on a Turbo S) which, short of black and Artic Silver is surely one of the more numerous examples. Aside from the occasional white or red, there are a few odd-ball colours (the light blues, metallic greens and strange brown and purple colours) and maybe a handful of paint to sample, but overall, the Turbo S almost always presents in one of the silvers or black.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by clubrcr
Getting back to the car... I emailed the person who has it for auction. I did this after I first noticed the front, I also tried to run a carfax, but oddly the VIN # is for a Mercedes.

When I questioned it, I was told this auction was for one of his customers and the customer didn't want anyone to know who he was, He told me that he wanted $128,000 for the car, but still copuldn't explain the front or the VIN.

Buyer Beware on this one.
I had the same problem with another Turbo on eBay where the VIN was patently wrong (didn't start with WPOA...) and the first reply was "I'll fix it" and the second reply (from the same guy) was "oh, that's so people don't know my VIN and use it" ... use it for what?! To register with PCA?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by clubrcr
Getting back to the car... I emailed the person who has it for auction. I did this after I first noticed the front, I also tried to run a carfax, but oddly the VIN # is for a Mercedes.

When I questioned it, I was told this auction was for one of his customers and the customer didn't want anyone to know who he was, He told me that he wanted $128,000 for the car, but still copuldn't explain the front or the VIN.

Buyer Beware on this one.
The ride height is the "correct" US "off road" height, with about three fingers between the top of the rubber and the bottom of the wheel arches -- ironically, it still tends to crunch the chin spoiler of the Aerokit II on any curb.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:51 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by Carrera GT
Porsche is quite secretive about legit specific 993 Turbo S part numbers, so I have no easy way to verify.
These items are available through Tequipment.
Check the Tequipment section in the PET and you'll find the side intakes for narrow and wide body including Turbo S

You are right about the difficulty to find TTS part#'s.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:52 PM
ksimpson
Racer

Carrera GT,

My car was originally from the UK and now in Ireland. I checked the options and there is nothing specific to the ducts only a code for the exclusive program. One of the UK listers confirmed that they were (an expensive) option back in '96 when the 4S was introduced.

My tale of woe regarding my car is documented here. However, glad to say that the dealer is footing most of the bill for the repairs.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=10016
Old 07-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Gert
These items are available through Tequipment.
Check the Tequipment section in the PET and you'll find the side intakes for narrow and wide body including Turbo S

You are right about the difficulty to find TTS part#'s.
Arrgh. Right, yes, I should have realised these were from the Tequipment stuff ... even though it has tantalising references to "Turbo S" for some shared parts, it doesn't show a part number where it has the Turbo S body part. Oh well.

Just as a matter of interest, what's the price on those stoneguard foils (in clear) ?
Old 07-25-2003, 04:49 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Carrera GT - just thought I'd put in the correct link to California Motorsport where the local 993TT S is sitting: http://www.calmotorsport.com/ You listed an Impala seller by merely adding an "s" to the end. In any case, I guess 29K can be considered high miles for a Turbo S - which is another reason not to buy one (or at least pay a huge premium) unless you want to put it in a museum. I really do like the looks of the S, although the things I like the best are the tail and the side intakes. If those side intakes could be added aftermarket and made functional that would be a tempting "upgrade".
Old 07-25-2003, 07:01 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Carrera GT
Tequipment 911 (Type 993) catalog 08/2001

Quick Reply: Odd Turbo S for Sale