Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Won't Start, Possibly Control Unit For Immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 AM
aj
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start, Possibly Control Unit For Immobilizer?

The car is not providing power to the solenoid/starter after I press the clutch in, unarm the control unit and then turn the key. I think it's the control unit for the immobilizer because: the clutch micro switch is working properly, and the car starts and runs fine when I remove the start relay and "jump" or bypass the start relay(#61) in the fuse box .

Does anyone know how to test the control unit for the immobilizer? I hate to spend $1,500.00 for the part unnecessarily.
or
Does anyone know what other functions activate the start relay to bridge it's connection, other than the clutch micro switch and control unit for the immobilizer.

Lastly, I did confirm the obvious, the start rely is also good.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that if there was an issue with the immobilizer the ECU would not allow the car to run as it would not receive the correct signal from the immobilizer. I would look elsewhere for the problem. It's not clear to me if you've confirmed that the ignition switch is functioning properly. You've obviously been able to start the car but has this been via turning the key or by bypassing the start relay?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:36 PM
aj
AutoX

Felix,
I am able to start the car by turning the key at the ignition switch and by bypassing the start relay in the relay/fuse box in the trunk. Therefore, the ignition is working properly. The problem lies in the control unit for the immobilizer or some other function that allows the start relay to bridge or complete it's circuit to the solenoid. I have determined that there is no diagnostic test to check the control unit for the immobilizer, and the only way to determine if it defective is by elimination by default of all other functions that contribute to bridging the start relay.
The slow and basic way to find all functions(i.e. clutch micro-switch) that contribute to the bridging of the start relay is by checking all wires and functions leading to the start relay.
I was hoping that some one may had experience of this and could tell me all functions to check without having to trace down wires-slower process.
This is why I have requested a wiring diagram on another thread.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:42 PM
aj
AutoX

Felix,
I am able to start the car by turning the key at the ignition switch and by bypassing the start relay in the relay/fuse box in the trunk. Therefore, the ignition is working properly. The problem lies in the control unit for the immobilizer or some other function that allows the start relay to bridge or complete it's circuit to the solenoid. I have determined that there is no diagnostic test to check the control unit for the immobilizer, and the only way to determine if it's defective is by elimination by default of all other functions that contribute to bridging the start relay are working(i.e. clutch micro switch).

The slow and basic way to find all functions that contribute to the bridging of the start relay is by checking all wires and functions leading to the start relay.

I was hoping that some one may have experience of this and could tell me all functions to check without having to trace down wires-slower process.

This is why I have requested a wiring diagram on another thread.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd be suspicious of the starter relay, have you replaced with a known working unit?

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start, Possibly Control Unit For Immobilizer?