Sponsored by:

Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Is it just me?

Is it just me - or has anyone else noticed the dramatic decline in 993tt for sale? Always loved seeing what was out there - enjoying photos and such but I haven't seen a 993tt come on this board in a long while when there was always one or two to be had? So it gets me thinking - Is anyone else at odds with their car as I am in that I like driving my car, but at 23,100 miles now - I don't particularly like the responsibility of keeping its mileage low or out of harms way to a shopping cart at Home Depot? My car is a museum piece - and I am seriously considering a new TTS that I can drive much much more (work and weekends away and such) without the self imposed stress of vintage TT ownership - but I love my 993tt and how much fun it is to drive even at 60 KMH- so much more visceral .......just not so much the responsibility of ownership as she ages as weird as that sounds.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

just drive it dude. you are gonna lose money on it...period. then again, even adding 50k miles to it, you'll probably lose less in value than if you drive a TTS 10k miles in the next few years.

The other option is to sell your museum car and get a higher mile driver. I think they are more fun anyway.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
just drive it dude. you are gonna lose money on it...period. then again, even adding 50k miles to it, you'll probably lose less in value than if you drive a TTS 10k miles in the next few years.

The other option is to sell your museum car and get a higher mile driver. I think they are more fun anyway.
$ is only one element. When I think out loud, I might rather cruise down a major highway here between the major markets where I work in proper heated and cooled seats talking on blue tooth while I earn a living AND enjoy my car. I am thinking that the 991TTS is so much more useable for my seat time - yet I can't seem to part with this 993tt.....and I have no friggen garage space if I was to suck it up and keep both...which is what I am advised by the 991TT board at this point - yet not sure that is what I would want to do. All my other car decisions have been easy but this 993tt has got me twisted. It is good therapy for me to type this so thanks for hearing me out. I am sure the guys on the 991TT board are sick of me whining. Oh and did I tell you the dealer ordered the car I 'built' on the Porsche configurator - TTS, Basalt on Black, yellow gauges, Aluminum details on interior, CL wheels, glass roof, keyless, Burmeister - pretty nice car.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:01 PM
overrestored
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you are old and in the retirement home... nobody will care about the low mileage TT you stashed away for 30 years and never drove. Drive it and create the crazy stories your grandkids will tell decades from now.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:05 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have definitely noticed the dramatic drop in 993 TT's available for sale as well. When I was in the market for mine in the Spring of 2009 there were always at least 40 to 60 available on AutoTrader. Now there may be 10 on a good day.

Now that all that supply has been soaked up there really is only one way prices on these cars will go....and that's higher. 991 TT's are obviously "better daily driver cars" for a guy driving for work purposes but they are not limited in supply and will depreciate substantially over time as a result.

I,too, have thought about selling my '97 993 TT and using the money for a new TT. But for the few miles I actually drive it each year (prolly 2,000 at most) I feel I have a free put option on it. That's why I keep it
Old 01-01-2014, 12:43 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought mine in September and have noticed a drop in availability. I just put it up to winter blues. Of course, there were never 30-40 to choose from last summer.

However, I purchased mine because my priorities and funds were such that I could not purchase one new in 1997. So I did the best I could to reverse the situation and I purchased it 16 years late. Now I will drive it without regrets or guilt. It's not my job to preserve history. I will keep it at it's peak maintenance wise and the reality that I have 4 other beaters to knock off the miles to go to the store etc... I will enjoy the Porsche for what it is a fun car and a dream made.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Here is to 2014! The first full year of Porsche ownership for me.

Johnny
Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 AM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine in May'13 and thereafter a few hi milers showed up but were quickly bought; even one with front clip fix ! The mania appeared to start when earlier in '13 purple Barney was RL sold for mere $43k. A couple years ago a red Andial TT via RL went for 48k$, those days are over !
Old 01-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

The Home Depot go getter...
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

It's be interesting to see what happens to the market in the upcoming Spring and Summer. Last year saw a pretty good spike in demand.

You are def right, the inventory has dramatically decreased, even for 993 NAs too.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Clearly fewer on the market! Agree, will be interesting to see what the springtime brings for prices, as the last 3-6 months seem to have brought price appreciation in the 10% range. I bought mine for $65k in 2009 and never thought I'd see prices in the $80's for cars with 25-35k miles. Nice to know I'll get my initial investment plus upgrades back when I do sell it. If I could just think of a better car to buy (and my wife would let me) I just might consider selling!!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:26 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 586 Posts

Overdraft,
bet ya some $$$$ that you'll see an upswing on availability around late april / early may.
We know that likelihood of getting near asking price is better once the weather improves across the country.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 604 Posts

I smell a for sale ad coming
Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
The Home Depot go getter...
Pickin' up a new fridge, were ya?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM
dombeau
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love to take mine to HD. One of the best drive of the week-end.
@Overdraft, before making your decision, wait until you drive it next spring…

real life story: I was with my wife last week-end in Pompano Beach at Champion Porsche looking at the new Turbo when she tells me: look, it's your car… In fact, it was an arena red 993c4s waiting for service and there was a business card in the windshield with a note (call me if you want to sell). I realized what a treasure I had in my hands…. think twice before selling…
Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dombeau
love to take mine to HD. One of the best drive of the week-end.
@Overdraft, before making your decision, wait until you drive it next spring…

real life story: I was with my wife last week-end in Pompano Beach at Champion Porsche looking at the new Turbo when she tells me: look, it's your car… In fact, it was an arena red 993c4s waiting for service and there was a business card in the windshield with a note (call me if you want to sell). I realized what a treasure I had in my hands…. think twice before selling…
I've gotten a lot of those hand written notes stuffed in my windshield on my 993TT as well. And you are right, that's when u realize how desired/marketable these cars are

Quick Reply: Is it just me?