Sponsored by:

Value of a Repainted 97 993TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 PM
GTman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of a Repainted 97 993TT

I have an opportunity to pick up a 97 TT blk/blk with about 53k miles. The car has been well maintained and cared for, and is 100 percent stock.

The only issue is that the car has been entirely repainted. I am told by the current owner (2nd owner of the car) that it was repainted because it had some chips here and there, and he is wealthy and just wanted the paint to be perfect.

My question is what does this repaint (and it is a very good repaint) do to the value of the car?

Any input on fair pricing would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:23 PM
gruppe75
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had experienced that exact scenario. I did a PPI on a TT and was told the car had a complete respray.
But was also told the respray was better than factory. It did not change my opinion of the car, just a bit of a surprise. Unfortunately life's circumstances didn't allow me to buy at the time and it was eventually shipped to Europe.
As to value, I don't think there should be an added premium to the price because of the re-paint.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:30 PM
GTman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your input.

I was thinking just the opposite, that the repaint actually detracted from the value of the car because it is now not original, and it raises the possibility that the repaint may have been done to address more than just minor paint chips.

I know that many simply wouldn't even consider buying a repainted Porsche for this reason. However, given the rareity of these cars I do think that there is a price, but its just some amount less than the same car with original paint.

All input on value appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2013, 11:21 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

"Just a re-spray" will not affect value if you are looking for a good car to have and drive. If you're looking for an investment, then look elsewhere. The original Porsche paint has a bit to be desired. It's not horrible but could be better. If you intend on selling the car and want the most value you need a car that is pristine and untouched. These cars are not drivers cars and sit until their owners think it's right to sell. A real enthusiast has driven their car, know what it's needs are and what it's strengths are. They will tell you every negative, but make no excuses. These are the cars you want if you are looking for a real drivers car. If you want an investment be willing to invest alot of money and have no intentions on driving it the way it should be driven.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:22 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

As above, probably very little effect on a 53k mile car IMHO.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:36 AM
gruppe75
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would consider this car to be a real nice driver, taking into account the mileage. For an investment
with little intention of driving, the mileage should be less than 30k IMO.

For pricing, I would not be surprised if it was in the $70-80K range
Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 PM
TTKan
Pro

No one asks whether a 356 or early 911S was re-sprayed because virtually all of them have been at this point in time. The 993 will get to that at some point. Until that point is reached, however, the market presumption will be that there was something other than paint chips going on here. For me personally, the re-spray would be a significant deduction relative to the identical car that carried its original paint, but I am risk-averse.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:17 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whether full re-spray or a panel was blended...it appears it only affects values when it comes time to actually buy or sell on a particular sample...

I had a "buyer" come see my car I had for sale...he "explained" why a 20% reduction in value was necessary for a stone chip because he had to consider his reduction in value when it comes time for him to sell...I think he meant "flip"...
Old 11-10-2013, 12:44 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Much like everything else it depends how good the paint job is. Was the car totally disassembled, glass taken out, etc. Did they spend $30,000 or $3,000. A respray isn't the end of the world- be sure the car wasn't in an accident and then they decided to respray the car
Old 11-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 278 Posts

My .02:

Full respray on a car with less than 20k miles = detracts from value
Full respray on a car with more than 30k = adds value

The quality of the paint job is key...
Old 11-10-2013, 01:11 PM
GTman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of your input and feedback.

I agree that the knife can cut both ways.

But if this is a car that I am looking at buying, driving for a year, and then selling my past experience on the selling side tells me that any repaint is a red flag to a buyer, especially one who is looking for an "orginal" car.

I put a value of about $55k on the car at this point from this perspective. While these cars may continue to increase in value, I would rather have a nice comfort zone built in from the buying price for the future when I go to sell.

Thanks again for all input. Much appreciated.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait....55K? For all original 50k mile 993TT with a re-spray that is only detectable with a paint meter?

Full documents/no stories? That is undervalued by AT LEAST 10k. No way that's the asking price... if so... (and you don't want it)...where is it?....I may want it.

Joe
Old 11-10-2013, 02:05 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well that makes sense now. I thought you were looking to get married. I didn't know you just wanted to sleep with her for a year and then dump her. :-). Poor girl, she needs someone that'll commit to her and cherish her forever.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:44 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

For $55k no stories. Who do I make check out to
Old 11-10-2013, 06:49 PM
GTman
Rennlist Member

Not looking for a long-term relationship but rather a realistic romance with a prenup protecting the downstream exit.

If it was a $55k no stories car that would be nice, but this car has a story that I can't be sure in the terms of it being repainted. This in my view is a pretty big story that may be nothing other than a perfectionist spare-no-expenses owner wanting a perfect car, or can be at the the opposite end of the spectrum covering up an accident or something more serious than paint chips. To me the balance weighs in favor of being conservative on the buy.

Regarding only detectable with a paint meter, a big red flag was the fact that whoever painted decided to remove the option code sticker under the hood. This is what caused to me go to the paint meter. Also the front bolts on the fenders have been turned which is not usually the case for a resprayed car. So these red flags (not option code sticker and turned front fender bolts) will be the same for any downstream buyer with or without a paint meter.

Again, I am thinking $55k for this storied car is about right to ensure a break-even exit.

Quick Reply: Value of a Repainted 97 993TT