Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kudos to Fikse

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003 | 07:48 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Thumbs up Kudos to Fikse

The other week I early apexed into the curb on my way to the gas station and graunched the rim on my right rear Fikse FM-10. sigh.
I boxed it up and sent it to Fikse. They replace the outer rim because of the graunch and the inner rim because it was out of tolerance on the runout test. Dumbass tax about $450 including shipping.

I got it back and when I was polishing it up in preparation for remounting, I noticed a crack in one of the spokes. I emailed Fikse to inquire what they thought. My cell phone went off about 2 seconds after I hit send on the email. It was the Fikse rep! He said send it back immediately.
He called me when he received it and told me they were replacing the inner at no charge to me and overnighting it back to me!
Now, I told the rep that the crack was not new because it was ingrained with brake dust, and was probably caused by me hitting the curb or by the previous owner, who has a penchant for slaying rabbits with his cars at high speed. "No matter", said the rep, "I should have caught it when I was replacing the rims."

I received the wheel back last night. They also included a new hubcap and a set of 4 new valve stems.

Stellar service.
Old 07-17-2003 | 08:23 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Scott,

An early apex may be enough to get you booted from HWFM Racing. Unless you were spinning, there is almost no excuse for getting anywhere close to the proper line. I'm going to recommend probation and remind you to "SLOW DOWN, GAWDDAMMIT" (I'm the AARP rep, remember).

Great service from Fikse. Sometimes, even Mr. Cheapskate has to admit it is worth paying more than the lowest bid for some items. I would expect my new (maybe next week?) Kinesis wheels should also get that kind of service. So, have you gotten used to driving on true street tires yet? Or are you going to keep using the R compounds?
Old 07-17-2003 | 09:12 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Steve, I can't see how smacking a curb could do anything other than underline my suitability as a HWFM team member. I wasn't going fast either.

I must admit, I really like the Rs. The Pirelli P-Zeros seem to give up almost immediately under heavy braking compared to the Kumhos.
Of course I haven't driven on the Rs in a Monsoon, but I sure like them in the dry. I kind of got used to the twitchy immediacy of the steering and the sound of gravel pinging on the wheel wells.
I'll be back to the Pirellis tomorrow. After I do a couple of DEs on the street tires I'll make a decision whether or not to just run Rs all the time like Anir does.

Quick Reply: Kudos to Fikse