Sponsored by:

Turbos and "dyno" smog coming to CA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Turbos and "dyno" smog coming to CA?

I had my first (shocking) taste of the new (bizarre) strictures of the CA DMV smog inspection.

I didn't realise it involves running the car on a dyno during the test.

How will this be done on permanent AWD cars and SUVs etc?

Has anyone put a Turbo 993 or 996 or modified engine with OBD II through the "new" smog test?
Old 07-17-2003, 04:37 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the small emissions stations will be out of business as the new machines (I am told) cost around $80K. They are supposed to be able to handle 4WD (another reason they are expensive). I won't have to go through it with the Porsche for another 18 months.

Oh yeah, not only is it going to be less convenient with less places to go, but we also get to pay between $80 and $90 for the new tests. What a rediculous bunch of cr*#.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Oregon, all they do is connect to the OBDII ECU and look for faults. They do not use the 4WD rollers.

With my modified ECU, it was a bear to pass the test because of the Sports Cats. It was always showing a CAT error.

Rick
www.993tt.com
Old 07-18-2003, 10:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was told it's a flat $110 fee. The Porsche shop that told me about the process pointed me to a "Smog Pros" (they weren't...) which had a cheap-ish looking in-ground dyno (single axle) that didn't like it was going to do much more than tear strips off the tyres and was sitting too tall for low-clearance cars ... a 993 sitting on coil-overs was looking like it wouldn't go on and they refused to risk being responsible for any damage.
I was told there will be two steps -- first, to pass an OBD2 test and second to pass a dyno run. Nobody could give me a sure answer whether the dyno run involved an a/f meter or 02 or other probe or if the car would be getting the obd2 scanned while it was on the dyno. Nobody was sure if the dyno run would involve acceleration or just maintaining various road speeds.
I'd say watch this space: this is going to turn into chaos.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:35 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Carerra,

I got a feeling that my unused, but dead stock 1996 TT ECU may come in handy if my Gemballa unit causes a problem. I suspect it won't however. If you need to borrow a stock ECU to pass smog, let me know. Sheesh, maybe I'll get into the "Stock ECU Rental" business

I'm following this thread with interest, mainly about the AWD rollers and the ride height issues and all. Keep us posted to what you find out. It seems that you are the first monkey in the barrel, so to speak.

Quick Reply: Turbos and "dyno" smog coming to CA?