Sponsored by:

New TT owner. 1997 ROW TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New TT owner. 1997 ROW TT

Here she is. I've had many Porsches over the years but I was finally able to purchase my dream car. It is a 1997 TT that was shipped over from Germany with 25k on the clock. It now has 63,000 miles and purrs like a kitten.

I have some questions:
- How many ROW cars were made with in car Navigation? My car has a special center console with a blaupunkt navigation system and screen with remote. The computer sits inside the spare tire. They didn't make a North American disc since none were sold in the US so it isn't activated. The computer was taken out but I have it along with all wiring. Wasn't sure how rare it was or if it even added any kind of value.
- The car also has GT Brembo brake kit with 380mm floating rotors and new calipers which are enormous. The PO added these on since he is a gear head but never tracked the car. He's had it 5+ years and only added a few thousand miles. Guess he just wanted to have the biggest brakes around.
- The back windshield wiper is broken on the arm portion almost where the blade meets the arm itself. Where would be the best place to source one? He said he checked on pricing and it was $600
- The dirvers side front headlight washer/squirter. Mine is busted where it fits into the bumper. It appears to have just ripped and worn out since it is rubber.
- Also, PO threw the carpet out since it was stained from a previous pentosin leak out of the front holder and he liked the clean look so left it out. He kept the foam inserts but I would like to get new carpet. What is the best option for purchasing that as well?
- Where is the sticker located that will show me what options codes the car has? I would like to find out what options it came with and also see if any were added by previous owners on their own.
- The speaker surround on the drivers side was knocked off by PO shoe. How can I buy one of these or will I have to purchase more than that ring?
- The car also has Tarrett dogbones, bilstein shocks and stromski mono ball adjustable suspension as well. The PO did all this as well. When he purchased the car he said it was lowered improperly and this was his project to fix. The car sits well and was aligned by Porsche to factory specs just sits much lower now and rides nice.
- Lastly, I wondered which kind of side skirts the car has. They were on there when the owner purchased the car and he isn't sure what they are. For all I know they could have been added in germany when they put on the Turbo S tail.

I think that is it for now. Here are some pics of the beast along with pics of the NAV center console. I appreciate the help in advance and I will be an active member so I look forward to learning and helping where possible.

Regards,
Bryan

Last edited by x98boardwell; 10-10-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Couple of thoughts on a few of your notes. Go to PCA and get a cert. of authenticity. That will or should give you all of the info. you're seeking regarding the options it was delivered with, engine/trans #'s and build date. Lose the rear wiper unless you think you'll use it. The rockers look like Gemballas (I think). Hope this helps some.
P.S. Check your PM
Old 09-10-2013, 01:19 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

That's not factory navigation. It is a aftermarket Blaupunkt navigation unit installed in what used to be the factory cell phone console.

The sticker showing the options will be under the front hood near the latch.

Definitely Gemballa side skirts. Unfortunately if those were installed as designed the sheet metal underneath was cut and would be vey expensive to return to stock.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:03 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Default update

Thanks for the input. Not sure how the Gemballa were installed but could check to see.

Here is the blaupunkt unit that sits inside the spare tire area in its own plastic case. If this was aftermarket how could they have developed such a well fit system into the car. Will wait to see what else I can find with option codes which maybe could help figure it out.

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited by x98boardwell; 10-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Mick currently selling the white 98 RUF TT has those same side skirts, sounds like a PIA if you need to remove. It will require some body work based on his findings.

The best place to source OEM parts would be Sunset Porsche in OR, seems to be a favorite among Rennlisters.

I'd also just get rid of the rear wiper, very simple modification:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...the_rear_wiper

And welcome + congrats on your TT!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 AM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Finally a car comes from Germany back to the US. Hopefully this trend keeps up
Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Default Options

I found the sticker and looked up all of the option codes. It doesn't have anything special for the NAV except 6, 5-digit numbers which are special codes that I don't know what they mean. I've included that sticker as a photo.

The car also has C02 which could mean catalytic converter or Rest Of US. Germany was C00 and they also had a special code for CA. as well. I know the car was sent over with 25,000 miles on it but maybe it was a US car but never left Germany. Not sure what the codes mean.

Any help with the other 5 digit numbers? They are as follows:

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited by x98boardwell; 10-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I may be wrong, but the VIN doesn't look like a ROW one to me. The second set of 3 letters/number of the VIN (first 3 being "WP0") on the options label are "AC2". I thought all ROW VINs were "ZZZ"?

BTW, not being a Turbo owner, what actually are the differences between a US TT and a ROW TT, besides ride height?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:03 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an exclusive options book and the navigation in the photo was branded Blaupunkt aka Bosch and not Porsche if my memory serves me well. It did mount in the wide console like the cell phone and that does appear to be the same type of navigation system, although there is a chance that someone added the same system after the car had been built but they'd have to get the wide center console. For reference, if it had the cell phone, there should be an option code PCX for "Porsche Cellular Phone Handset Kit" I'll post some photos of the factory 993 navigation system next time I'm home for a weekend and we can compare, I don't have the book accessible right now. I'm 99% sure it was labeled Blaupunkt. I've never seen a navigation system in any 993 except for the exclusive catalog from 1996 so I'm excited to finally see one in a car.

Another item, regarding your speaker cover, you have the rare leather covered speakers, also an exclusive option. I don't see the option listed on your hood sticker though, according to my records the "Leather Loudspeaker Trim Rings" were option XP9. Unfortunately, that is going to cost you as exclusive options were made to order and they don't really have spare parts. I actually tried to get leather window switches replaced on my car but they did not have blue leather available so they refused. It's hard to get a hold of Porsche in Stuttgart, most dealers don't even know how to proceed. They'll look up the VIN number and find a generic part number, that is not correct, you need to make sure they understand you have the exclusive option. You may have better luck than me with black leather but expect to pay around $1000 or so and even then it's not a fixed price and will take months. You could wait and find a used leather speaker grill cover (these never turn up) or just replace the grill cover with a used one or a new standard plastic unit for probably less than $200 for the left and right. You'll want to do the pair if you go that route since they won't match otherwise.

A third option was maybe talk to a leather shop and see if they can duplicate the piping and give them the other side as an example. that may be your best option to try and save it. i would go that route and talk to a good leather guy maybe they can do something but I don't have much experience with this.

Last edited by uicnick; 09-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The VIN comes up with option code M484 - Version for USA.
The 5-digit numbers are exclusive options, but there isn't really a decoder for those. Porsche may be able to decipher some of them if you get a certificate of authenticity.
Looks like a nicely optioned and modded 993. Rear seat delete is a nice option too.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:33 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the input. I do have the other ring it is just bent up a little and the tabs were broken off. Maybe I can salvage that now that I know it is so rare... and expensive.

Regarding the ROW comment that I made originally I posted without really looking. I noticed that it was in Germany until it had 25,000 miles and just figured it was ROW... my bad. I'm guessing the original owner bought in the states and then sent back for a number of years which would explain it's time overseas. At least she spent some time in her birth place..

I have a friend at the dealership and he will help me find out about the 5-digit codes. This may prove to be an email to Porsche NA or Germany if no help there. Will keep everyone posted. One would think that there would be a list somewhere as I'm sure this question has been asked before. I'm just hoping I can find out. Maybe I'll start a thread and title it Porsche Exclusive Options Codes... couldn't hurt I guess. I will also try searching before to see what I can come up with.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 09-10-2013, 06:59 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I like the wiper, I say keep it.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations! I actually think the side skirts look great! Here is the option code "decoder""

Porsche Option Decoder
Old 09-10-2013, 07:04 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I might delete my wiper too.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Default My past

This is where I've been. Now onto the 993..

I have an itch for these things... I left out a couple from a long time ago.
Attached Images     

Last edited by x98boardwell; 10-10-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: New TT owner. 1997 ROW TT