Sponsored by:

197mph in 1000 meters!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 03:58 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tacker
In the end it's all about the Cylinder heat temps and tuning. E85 is the way to go with big power setups.
Agreed on the E85!!! Brazil home of ethanol worldwide!!!!cheers.
sonny1.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:03 PM
sonny1
Banned

You can always use water/methanol injection in the absence of E85, it does wonders,cheers.
sonny1.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sonny1, I'm running the water meth and it works awesome
Mike
Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Engine longevity is so use dependent though.?
Says it all.

Using fuel mixes to keep head temps down is clever and doable and intercooler water sprays etc are all ingenious band aid solutions but I doubt you would find any German Porsche engineers keeping straight faced if you mentioned these things to them

Sonny, can you share what "better material" are available, I read about the special alloy heads and cylinders which were being made and tested in the UK (with screw in liners IIRC) which were claimed to last much longer under racing conditions than factory stuff but it seemed to go quiet ?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 AM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

interesting read about "Better Material" I need to figure out what the straight faced Germans used for OE heads.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...2003122249.pdf
Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tacker
interesting read about "Better Material" I need to figure out what the straight faced Germans used for OE heads.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...2003122249.pdf
I didn't understand much of that

This is the article I was thinking of

http://www.eliteenginesystems.com/EESStory.pdf

Perfect bore are now part of Capricorn

http://www.capricorngroup.net/en/aut...BbackPid%5D=13

I don't know much about the new materials but I know Capricorn seem to supply most of the top end race teams including my engine builders, I have their MMC liners and pistons in my 997

Another informative piece
http://www.capricorngroup.net/upload...ldMagazine.pdf

Last edited by TB993tt; 08-15-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Using fuel mixes to keep head temps down is clever and doable and intercooler water sprays etc are all ingenious band aid solutions
I agree. I don't have any direct experience except second hand from my friend with a modded 996turbo using alcohol/distilled water injection. Good for purpose built/certain venues/trailered cars but not as practical to have to carry the extra items if you drive to the track or use the car on the street. My friend didn't have a sensor to tell how much was still in the tank so he had to open his hood to check that he had enough of his mixture all the time (maybe his tank was just too small). Had to measure/make his mixture. Kind of fun initially and all of it I guess okay but after a year or two he removed the entire system...
Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 PM
sonny1
Banned

You don't have to go far away for all this materials, for cylinder heads try Colin at NineMeister, for cylinders go to Charles Navarro at Nickes cyls.,for pistons, right here in ol USA too, JE FSR's pistons, with all the proper materials coated at the right places, all use the latest aluminum forgings., cheers.
sonny1.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

But has anyone actually used NineMeister's billet heads? Last I heard, he only made one set for the turbo and FVD has them (it's on their web site) but hadn't actually tried them (and NineMeister didn't have the funds to build anymore?). I've read about the alloy NineMeister is using and the specifications didn't seem much better if at all than the Mahle alloy. The other billet head (can't remember the name) has been tried by someone locally who was not very happy and required a lot of work. The Billet heads also don't have the ceramic coating in the exhausts which I understand is good for a few degrees. I don't have any personal experience with the JE pistons, heard they work better with matched p&c but some still fuss about having sharp edges on the piston heads that may cause hot spots. I'm just regurgitating what I've read here and have heard from local techs. Don't have any real experience.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sonny1
You don't have to go far away for all this materials, for cylinder heads try Colin at NineMeister, for cylinders go to Charles Navarro at Nickes cyls.,for pistons, right here in ol USA too, JE FSR's pistons, with all the proper materials coated at the right places, all use the latest aluminum forgings., cheers.
sonny1.
Are any of these tested in 993GT2 race engines, benchmarked against other materials factory/known aftermarket (Carrillo) during 20 hour inspections ?

IMO This is the only way to really know (if they are "better" than stock) - unless of course they break during a 5 minute engine dyno torture test.....

It is horses for courses and I don't wish to wind you up (too much ) If your 800PS 993 turbo engine is reliable for your usage then more power to you - I find it hard to see how you put the power down, my 993 seems to light the 4 tyres up for fun in anything lower than 4th
Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM
sonny1
Banned

I got an itch., right now I'm going for a ride!
cheers.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Sonny, You crack me up!!! Lol. Funny.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 AM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like it has a full carbon fiber roof!! Or is that a wrap?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM
sonny1
Banned

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Are any of these tested in 993GT2 race engines, benchmarked against other materials factory/known aftermarket (Carrillo) during 20 hour inspections ?

IMO This is the only way to really know (if they are "better" than stock) - unless of course they break during a 5 minute engine dyno torture test.....

It is horses for courses and I don't wish to wind you up (too much ) If your 800PS 993 turbo engine is reliable for your usage then more power to you - I find it hard to see how you put the power down, my 993 seems to light the 4 tyres up for fun in anything lower than 4th
Racing duty is one thing, street is another, and in the racing envelope, endurance racing is one thing and drag racing another, which in this last segment the OP I believe is categorized, not saying that drag is "lighter", try to do a few in a row and you get my drift, I have been tearing the streets for a while now,well 30+ years now, (I'm an old gear head), and I have taken advantage of all the tricks in the book, some had worked a tad better than others, reliability can be reached successfully. Electronics, my friend, plays a big influence on how to transmit a lot of power efficiently to the ground,strategies using traction control,launch control,and knock control, are a few, if you have the right combination it can be done,cheers.
sonny1.

Last edited by sonny1; 08-20-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sonny1
,strategies using traction control and launch control,knock control, are a few, if you have the right combination it can be done,cheers.
sonny1.
cool, which aftermarket traction control system works with our cars? race logic? I suppose it really depends on the ecu you are using - with reworked motronic?

Quick Reply: 197mph in 1000 meters!