Sponsored by:

Andial intercooler vs diy gt2rs intercooler...Ridge Motorsport park

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Andial intercooler vs diy gt2rs intercooler...Ridge Motorsport park

Another great day with Turn2 (? or is it the Red line now) at the Ridge yesterday. A lot cooler in the morning than what we have been experiencing in the area. I have a newly acquired Andial intercooler. Although I tried to do back to back trials using different intercoolers I couldn't get my data logger to record (had to reseat the cf card), so there is 2 hours between the runs and the ambient temps changed significantly. It was overcast/threatening to rain/cold, mid teens (C) in the morning (Andial coolers) and by the afternoon it was sunny mid 20's - so unfortunately a probably full 10 degrees C difference in temp between runs. I did not have the stock (or FVD which I also have) intercoolers with me since I have limited space to carry these intercoolers in my car. My impression is that the Andial coolers are very good, more or less equal in cooling to the gt2rs cores and much better than stock. I also discovered I had a boost leak using my gt2rs units (some oil around the throttle body) intercooler/throttle body O rings may need replacement/I may need to recheck to see if my diy intercooler attachment surface is true flat/may not have torqued the allen heads well enough - not sure what a boost leak would do to the post intercooler temps. Performance wise, looks like lower boost with the leaky gt2rs units, no noticeable difference in speed/acceleration/lap times (was running in green group, faster lap times in 1min 55 sec. - lots of faster cars but don't think I held anyone up, not intentionally anyways except for Targa Tim and his gt3rs that I don't let pass unless absolutely necessary!). Got distracted in turn 2 going uphill looking in the rear view mirror watching a viper go a little side ways behind me and hit the inside berm at the top of the hill, which unsettled my car and I had an off - there were 5 cars right behind me but luckily no problems for the other drivers. And apart from being black flagged to check my car was okay and a damaged ego, rest of the day was great. (oh and having to re-live the incident on the viper driver's iPhone video... good to be able to laugh about those things with the other drivers). Any hoo, here are the usual graphs. Run 3 is with the Andial intercoolers, Run 4 with diy gt2rs units. Boost again you have to subtract 1 (have to figure out how to scale that so it reads properly), front straight, representative laps, both well within the sessions to have things hot (laps 16 and 6).
Also pics of the Andial coolers (sl purple hue) cf stock. The Andial are bar and plate design vs tube and fin for stock. There are more fins per cm than stock but not as much as the gt2rs. Volume wise, the Andial is slightly bigger. The sizes of cores- stock 26.5x26.5x6cm with 8.5 fins/3cm; Andial 26.5x26.5x9cm with 9.5 fins/3cm, and gt2rs 34x22x8cm with 13 fins/3cm
If you can find these Andial coolers, I'd get one, as said, I think they are very good. (The Andial coolers show about 10 degree C lower temps on the graphs but the ambient temp was also 10 degree cooler...). (graph 'rtv003' is Andial and 'rtv004' is gt2rs). (for newer folks who haven't seen my previous posts, pls search diy gt2rs intercooler).
Attached Images          

Last edited by Basal Skull; 08-11-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

You drove well. I need better tires to keep up with you. My street MPSS is not up to task, quite a bit worse than the previous MPSC.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great work Ryo. So it looks like the andial unit heats up 44-33=11C and the gt2 unit heats up 35-29=6C over the same run?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:01 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice work, I appreciate your dedication and attention to detail I know it takes alot of time.

I need to find the time to test my IC setup on the track other than the Texas Mile. I finally finish the CF airbox! Will post soon.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Thanx guys!

Originally Posted by Acropora
Great work Ryo. So it looks like the andial unit heats up 44-33=11C and the gt2 unit heats up 35-29=6C over the same run?
Brad, it's the other way around - the gt2 units went to 44 or so degrees where as the Andial ones only to 35 or so. But as I said the ambient temp changed quite a bit - 10 degrees hotter by the time I was able to change to the gt2 units and get my data logger to work unfortunately. Regardless I think the Andial units work well, and doing the subtraction like you did maybe the Andial are better. The cores do look good, and the volume is 300cc or so larger cf gt2 although slightly less fin count.
I will do some more testing on my next track day in a few weeks on the 29th. I need to make sure I correct any leaks on my gt2 units. (I will have more Andial bits installed by then, my engine's coming out today ... I'll post on that when ready).
Old 08-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tacker
I finally finish the CF airbox! Will post soon.
Would like to see that air box!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

That's great the Andial IC is effective. Kinda funny I saw it for sale on ebay and remember thinking "that won't do any good".
Do you think the gt2 IC's can be cut and made to work with stock IC end tanks and center? Either that or Rick/essexmetal was going to get some other aftermarket bar/plate IC cores to work with them.
Water/methanol injection has lowered my oil temps dramatically but it'd be nice not to rely on it.
With a new IC and water injection maybe the oil temp gauge won't budge at all!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I think I saw the Andial ic on eBay too. The gt2rs cores are too long, the stock endtanks I don't think will fit, even if you make the middle section virtually nonexistent. I stared at the parts quite a bit, even thought about gutting/cutting out the inside parts of the wing, but i don't think it would work. I have the fvd ic as well which I stared at to see if I could modify.
Thinking about using three rs cores like tasker and sonny1 but having the center core offset/sticking up higher out above the tail so that I can still use the stock throttle body - I think having a intercooler that sticks up out of the tail might not look too bad...
Or stacking cores on top of each other...
Old 08-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Thanks a bunch for the info. Let me know if you want to thin your IC collection, hah!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have all the pics with me but here's a brief view of the intercooler with airbox. I'm working on a more detailed write up of how I made the airbox. Next is a custom center section. More later

Last edited by tacker; 04-14-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:55 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tacker, don't waste your time with the fans, imho, not worth it (btdt),it will block the air at speed, if you have a problem with heat soak best to spray some nitrous or CO2 on intercooler before each run (I'm not a fan of this approach either to much of a hassle), this big intercoolers set ups will get rid of the heat pretty fast as soon you get rolling.,good luck, cheers.
sonny1.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:03 PM
sonny1
Banned

Best will be to do it a la Porsche, installing a fan assembly in the side of the engine and blow air directly inside the engine shroud toward the cylinders, on every shut down this will activate to blow air thermostatically controlled, and voala, cheers,
sonny1.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Mike that box is really cool. I've made an aluminum piece that takes the place of the regular snorkel and part of the stock air box cover that opens to the side to fit the gt2 wing. I tried to calculate the surface area of the openings and what volume of air needed to pass at redline to figure out how fast the air needed to be traveling... a few sq cm makes a big difference. Your CF piece looks really good with a nice opening. I need to learn how to make cf pieces! Your pictures just reminded me how good your intercooler looks, great job!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 PM
sonny1
Banned

Yeah, that intercooler is ****!
sonny1.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Default intercooler

Great work on the intercooler and airbox. I'm Jealous!

How does the filter area compare to stock?
Steve

Quick Reply: Andial intercooler vs diy gt2rs intercooler...Ridge Motorsport park