CEL on, code 124, Intake Air Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM
pmalenfa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL on, code 124, Intake Air Temp Sensor

Hello Guys,

I had the Check Engine Light on the other day, I verified with the Durametric and it gave:

Code 124 Intake Air Temp Sensor

I cleared the CEL fault code and it camed back on a few days after. Checked again, same code. With the engine running (warmed up, outside air around 28 Celcius / 82F), the Durametric readout was 52 Celcius (Strange), I cleared the code again.

I checked again this morning, engine cold started, outside air 22C / 72F. No CEL for now but the readout is still 52 Celcius / 125F. So maybe my IATS (Intake Air Temp Sensor) is bad/shorted or disconnected.

Sensor seem to be P/N 99360611400, I would like to test it before I replace it. I started crawling trough the manuals but I could'nt locate it.

Questions:
- What should be the proper readout of IAT using Durametric? (close to external temp I guess, does someone have an example of the Durametric readout)
- Where is the sensor located? (Intercooler? Where?)
- Does anybody have specs of it so I can test it? (See attached image, this is what I found but I'm not sure this is the proper sensor, my guess is mine might be shorted).

Thanks in advance.

Pierre
Attached Images   
Old 07-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Your AIT sensor is on the intercooler, just proximal to the throttle body (passenger side). It's a standard bosch part. Mine runs within 20 degrees above ambient. It's fig B on attached pic
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

forgot to ask, have you had any work done recently that needs the intercooler off? techs often forget to plug it back in...
Old 07-27-2013, 12:39 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
forgot to ask, have you had any work done recently that needs the intercooler off? techs often forget to plug it back in...
Problem fixed, you were right on, IATS disconnected.

Curiously, the last time they worked on and had to remove the intercooler was last fall. Maybe it was not properly connected.

Anyway, THANKS for your help, greatly appreciated!

For others reference, I'm attaching photos of the IATS disconnected / connected and a proper readout with the Durametric tool (exactly as Basal Skull said, around 20C over ambiant air).

Pierre
Attached Images    
Old 07-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

glad it was a simple fix! with the temp sensor disconnected, the ecu puts your car in limp mode, so probably wasn't getting full boost/limiting performance
Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

with the temp sensor disconnected, the ecu puts your car in limp mode, so probably wasn't getting full boost/limiting performance
I doubt it was in limp mode. Boost was reaching 0.8 bar around 4000 rpm and I didn't feel performance was bad. I'll see if it make any difference today.

Thanks
Pierre.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:13 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Resurrecting this thread...after recent 02 sensor replacement at local indy shop, ECU threw repeated P0112 codes. After removing intercooler cover, I found IATS unplugged. Thanks for the simply fix, Basal Skull!

Quick Reply: CEL on, code 124, Intake Air Temp Sensor