Sponsored by:

cost or color???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cost or color???

Long time everyone... i've been missing my 993 a little too much and was trying to find a higher milage (70K miles +)car that i could DRIVE... during the last couple of months i have seen a handful of higher mile cars and sales prices still in the high 50's low 60's.

i now have a lead on a 71k mile car in one of my least favorite color combos that can be had in the high 40's with a probable top end needing to be done due to leak down numbers being all out of whack... other than that, minor paint work and overall in great shape... do i hold off or pull the trigger? i feel like i wont find another deal in the 40s, assuming i spend 10-12k, im still in it for under 60 with a fresh top end and enjoyed the car until i can afford that TTS i always wanted.

thoughts?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

well, this is a 'million$ question'. I can't neither judge your vallet nor your taste and color preference. If the least favourite color combo for you is the most desirable for 90% of the buyers you don't make any bad regarding the future re-sell chanches. And you can be sure about the technical substance of your car.

I personally prefer special rare colors like speed yellow, white, grey (no silver), rivblue, etc. Primary it i becouse of personal taste, secondary for 'investment' reasons (at least my wife thinks it, hehe) This theory works only if you have enough nerve to wait for a special car and the necesarry ca$h (please do not misunderstand me) However if you're in a hurry and don't want to spend all your money for a special colored car, just take a "low profile" color car, repair it and enjoy it as much you can. 0-100mph is the same regardless the color
(one more thought: the money you would save on color spend on engine upgrade like k16hybrid turbos since you are going on a top end)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM
993 770
Pro

appreciate the feedback RP993, the color combo is arena/grey (not sure which one) i personally don't think it is an overly desirable combo, but there are much worse out there. I plan on just driving it and not really worrying about the top end until it really needs it. If i can get to a number that gives me enough room to make some repairs/upgrades i think ill get over not loving the color sooner then later!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 367 Posts

I say wait. Next month is August and prices should come like every year. The top end issue is not worth gambling on with a Color you aren't crazy about at a IMO high price. Be patient and a good car will come around.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

It would be good to get some feedback from others but I have a feeling when your looking at big jobs like a top end, I'm sure things will exceed your original budget. Unless you pull out a spreadsheet and detail all your parts, labor etc.

On the flip side, once you put in the $ at least you know everything that has been done esp to your own standards.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Originally Posted by 993 770
appreciate the feedback RP993, the color combo is arena/grey (not sure which one) i personally don't think it is an overly desirable combo, but there are much worse out there. I plan on just driving it and not really worrying about the top end until it really needs it. If i can get to a number that gives me enough room to make some repairs/upgrades i think ill get over not loving the color sooner then later!
Oh Man at least 5 regulars on the board just fell out of their chairs after reading that sentence.

On a serious note, I agree 100% with you in that is mostly what I did. I hated the interior color of mine(Marble Grey) but since the car was a higher mileage(68K) example and a 993tt is something I plan on never selling, I figured to hell with re-sale value and changed the interior color to black. It's a decision that I rejoice in every time I sit in it(which is a lot). I now have a brand new motor and couldn't be happier with the car.

However if you really dislike the exterior color your talking large $$$ to get a respray I'd think. Call Ed at Kundensport and find out the cost re-paint. He's who I'd go to for a situation like this.

Where in LA are you? I'm up in Ventura County. Keep us posted on what end up doing.

Chad
Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 PM
dombeau
Instructor

If you don't like the color, you will sink all that money and sell it later because it is NOT like the one you used to have.... My opinion.. don't... On the other hand, the good one always shows up after you moved... buy and don't spend that much and be ready to switch!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 PM
993 770
Pro

Wasn't trying to offend anyone, but it's just not my favorite combo! I wouldn't do a black exterior either for that matter, but that's just me! My plan would be to just drive it until something else came up, without spending a lot of money. I think just getting hardbacks and new floor mats would be enough to break up the interior... A respray is out of the question... Unless I strip down the whole car and maybe spend too much on a RUF conversion
Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 PM
jcoles
Instructor

I would wait. For me, part of my enjoyment owning the car is loving the way it looks. Therefore, I think you need to have a color that you like. This is the first car in a long time that I actually enjoy washing and waxing myself. I finally got a pair of stock wheels too!!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 PM
993 770
Pro

Jcoles- is that a slate turbo r? I'll wait until you want to sell me that puppy!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My initial response was to wait and get the car that you really want rather than to sink the money into one you aren't in love with, and possibly miss the opportunity when the right car does come along.

Then you said Arena Red/Grey, so that changes things. You should buy it, and you will grow to love it.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dombeau
If you don't like the color, you will sink all that money and sell it later because it is NOT like the one you used to have.... My opinion.. don't... On the other hand, the good one always shows up after you moved... buy and don't spend that much and be ready to switch!
I agree with this. Why spend the money fixing up the cone that isn't your first choice? After you get it fixed, you could have bought your first choice color for the same money. (ie you buy this for $48 spend 12 on the top end and another 3 fixing up this and that and you have $63 the car. Then you sell this car and buy the one you want and you factor in sales tax on two cars)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jcoles
I would wait. For me, part of my enjoyment owning the car is loving the way it looks. Therefore, I think you need to have a color that you like. This is the first car in a long time that I actually enjoy washing and waxing myself. I finally got a pair of stock wheels too!!!!
What color is your car?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I say wait. Next month is August and prices should come like every year. The top end issue is not worth gambling on with a Color you aren't crazy about at a IMO high price. Be patient and a good car will come around.
I read this on my ipad and didn't realize you were talking about a turbo, so my comment on pricing does not stand. However these cars are for fun and should be bought in a color that you love...otherwise wait.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

With your PPI results, assuming a top end budget of $10-12,000 is a bit of a risk. I think a top end is going to cost more than that. More like $15-18,000.

As for exterior color, you could always wrap it for about $4,000. Lots of recent posts on this subject in the 993 and 997 Forums.

Quick Reply: cost or color???