Sponsored by:

Mystery Muffler By-Pass Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Muffler By-Pass Pipes

I recently acquired these muffler by-passes just to see what the sound/performance ratio is like without mufflers. I went looking for some Fabspeed units, but no one is selling, so I just assumed that everyone that has them, loves them....right?

Anyway, picked these up not know anything about them and I was curious if anyone had seen anything like them before. They have no markings of any kind on them, but they appear to ber VERY high quality. Welds look beautiful and the tubing appears to be very heavy walled stainless. I have yet to fit them, but if they fit like they look, all should be good.
Attached Images      
Old 06-02-2013, 12:07 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

How does exactly work a muffler by pass? I mean, there is any photo "before & after" to get a better idea? This isn't have to do anything with the exhaust heat exchangers right?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool are those rufs? Don't see many with central tips like those
Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

And require bumper mods?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:44 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

If I didn't know any better I'd think those are for NA ,just saying Bert
Old 06-02-2013, 02:50 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

They arent centre exit on the bumper, the left had one is on the right and the right hand one is on the left!

Look almost home made but as you say, great quality and give the wide oval look when fitted
Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoR
How does exactly work a muffler by pass? I mean, there is any photo "before & after" to get a better idea? This isn't have to do anything with the exhaust heat exchangers right?
A muffler bypass does exactly that - it bypasses the muffler by going straight from the cats to the tailpipe. Mufflers, and their 40lbs, are removed from the car.

Before flow: cats to mufflers to tailpipe
After flow: cats to tailpipe

Nothing to do with the heat exchangers.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first glance they look like maybe for an n/a, maybe a coveted Ruf but I think it's the orientation in the pic. I think they would fit a TT the loops are simply bigger than that of the fabs. Wonder why? Not necessary so it must be for a resonance potential benefit.

These are interesting, must be custom. These will be loud. But the bypasses do sound good. Never run these cat-less u will wake the dead. I believe no real hp gain but significant weight loss.

As long as they don't drone and sound good at idol they will actually get more quiet at WOT when the turbos spool -they will act as natural muffler.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:02 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
A muffler bypass does exactly that - it bypasses the muffler by going straight from the cats to the tailpipe. Mufflers, and their 40lbs, are removed from the car.

Before flow: cats to mufflers to tailpipe
After flow: cats to tailpipe

Nothing to do with the heat exchangers.
Thanks. Now is totally clear for me. Do you think would exist any benefit (power gain) if is installed a by pass muffler in a 993tt that is equipped with the stock exhaust except it doesn't have CAT inside the bottles and no 02 sensors (150 option from factory = no CAT /02 sensors) besides the increment in noise?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

nah. they are for sound and weight. my sport cats didn't add any power either.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
They arent centre exit on the bumper, the left had one is on the right and the right hand one is on the left!
ahh! I see it now, but don't quite see how they would fit, the open end after the cats are medial to the tip exit opening on the bumper, but these look like the inlet is lateral to the tips? if that makes sense.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:36 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Honestly, I know so little about them, that it's impossible for me to say if they are going to fit or not. It was an eBay win and a complete roll of the dice. Seller had a one sentence description, answered zero questions before the auction and has answered zero questions I have asked since winning. Price was right and if they indeed fit a N/A, I'll just sell to some else and pass the good deal along.

I didn't have a chance to fit them this weekend but I'll try for this weekend and see if I can "wake the dead"!

Last edited by BLT4SPD; 06-03-2013 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Correcting darn iPhone autocorrect problem!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ Diego, Diego if u truely have nothing in those cat cans then your options are nil. The great fisters as well as fabs will be too loud. And muffler by-passes with no cats are essentially straight pipes. Our cars are disproportionately loud at idol and low rpm. Straight open pipes on our cars belong on the track only (my humble opinion).
I'll quantify it: With open pipes sitting in the car talking to someone u will have to speak up, standing behind it at idol u will nearly have to yell.
Your beautiful from factory s look alike probably sounds awesome now with stock cans and no cats. But it leaves u little options. Again even fisters in my opinion the best mufflers u can buy will not work "well" without cats. I think they will be a bit too loud; u can email Darin Fister he may warn u of that too. There are other off the rack mufflers out there like Dansk (best quality), and Car Graphic. But they will sound the same as the stock mufflers u already have I guarantee it. The stock mufflers r a but restrictive but they are quality. If u go with bypasses, have no cats, and have close neighbors they will scowl at u-ha!

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 06-02-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Standard fabspeed muffler bypasses are here - https://www.fabspeed.com/993TT_19.html.

Not sure how what you have could possible fit a 993tt.

Looks much more like https://www.fabspeed.com/993_21.html for an NA 993.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Do you think would exist any benefit (power gain) if is installed a by pass muffler in a 993tt that is equipped with the stock exhaust except it doesn't have CAT inside the bottles and no 02 sensors (150 option from factory = no CAT /02 sensors) besides the increment in noise?
No benefit except for losing about 40lbs out of the back end.

Quick Reply: Mystery Muffler By-Pass Pipes