Sponsored by:

Dangers of a low mileage Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dangers of a low mileage Twin Turbo

As a first time buyer of a Porsche, I have found a few 17-18 year old TT with less 20k miles.

If it hasn't been mod'd does that typically mean it is not a track car?

I am looking for a good weather pleasure car. Are low mileage cars something to be avoided? What problems would I run into? I suspect I would only be putting 1000-2000 miles a year on it myself.

Let me have your opinions.

Thanks,

Johnny
Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_law
As a first time buyer of a Porsche, I have found a few 17-18 year old TT with less 20k miles.

If it hasn't been mod'd does that typically mean it is not a track car?

I am looking for a good weather pleasure car. Are low mileage cars something to be avoided? What problems would I run into? I suspect I would only be putting 1000-2000 miles a year on it myself.

Let me have your opinions.

Thanks,

Johnny
I don't think that just because it has no mods, it hasn't been tracked. Just make sure you do your homework and find out as much about the history as you can.

Regarding low mileage cars, seals, gaskets and such are more prone to drying out, but then again, these cars are now 17 years old and those things would need replacing by now anyway. You shouldn't cross a car off just because it has "higher" mileage. These things are built to last.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The ideal scenario for a 1000 mile/year use is start it once a week, warm it up gently, then drive it hard for 20 miles, then cool the turbos, dust off, and cover. Change the oil yearly.
Track use tends to wear out brakes and tires, and tends towards more rock chips. No other issues, and usually cars that are occasionally tracked are in better shape (or at least no worse) then cars that are not.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my. Hell must have frozen over!
I agree with everything Steve just said.
Back when I was tracking Frank, he would purr like a kitten on the leisurely drive back from the track. (I would lay back under the sheets and smoke a cigarette)
Old 05-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Hells not freezing over. I'm just asking to get opinions. The low mileage cars seem to be fetching higher prices. Just wondering if it is worth it. I'm asking about the downside of lower mileage cars.

No I get it, it is a sports car and when I get mine I plan to take it to the track a few times a year, for driving lessons etc. and to see what it will really do. I suspect it is probably a bit difficult to open up a turbo up on public roadways.

I'm on a learning curve, keep on teaching.

Johnny
Old 05-29-2013, 04:17 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

If I agree with Steve, Hell has the thermostat turned waaaaaay down.
The low mile expert might be Scott Sheply. I think he still has the same tank of gas that came with his car.
But seriously, these cars are at the age when anything that has the potential to dry out,rot or perish should be replaced anyway. If the car passes a good PPI and runs and drives right, just go forth and have fun.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 101 Posts

I have a few cars in the 10K miles range, including turbos. I typically run each car about 500-800 miles per annum, w a spirited drive every 4-6 weeks of about 50-70 miles. Works extremely well for my location and for my schedule. I avoid just starting and idling the cars without any real use.

Except for flat batteries once in a while, the above has worked extremely well, cars in great condition with seals and such supple and well lubricated as far as I can tell.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I m not aware of any downsides to low mileage cars other then the ones already mentioned. They are expensive though and can depreciate quickly if you drive them a lot. However, at 1000 miles per year, you should be pretty safe. They are great cars.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

What if you knew that a car sat for 6-8 years with virtually no miles. Would that change anything?

Originally Posted by Carlos993
I have a few cars in the 10K miles range, including turbos. I typically run each car about 500-800 miles per annum, w a spirited drive every 4-6 weeks of about 50-70 miles. Works extremely well for my location and for my schedule. I avoid just starting and idling the cars without any real use.

Except for flat batteries once in a while, the above has worked extremely well, cars in great condition with seals and such supple and well lubricated as far as I can tell.
You would be the perfect owner of the car I would like to purchase as I would like to drive the car similarly. You don't happen to have a Red 993TT with a Tan interior that you want to get rid of?

Just joking.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:42 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Receiver
I m not aware of any downsides to low mileage cars other then the ones already mentioned. They are expensive though and can depreciate quickly if you drive them a lot. However, at 1000 miles per year, you should be pretty safe. They are great cars.
Have to agree, there are no realistic downsides or dangers to low mileage cars, the low mileage scenario is overplayed because it appears potential buyers are using it to submit lowball offers...

These are Porsches, they won't rot just sitting there...

However, it's how the Porsche is put away is key

If it's been put away "wet", then there's concern

Is the potential tt parked indoors or outdoors? Covered or uncovered? Heated or unheated garage?

Near the heat source?

By a window? (UV has a huge effect)

Near a wet source?

On a charger?

There are so many variables, to accelerating "dry rot" and just as many variables preventing "dry rot"

Again, these are Porsches, they won't rot just sitting there...yes, there's no substitute, driving them is the best part, but when parked, they're just as pretty

Additionally, if driven a 1000 miles a year or so, it's probably is more preferred over the one that's just parked there...

As most "advisers" would recommend, buy the newest model with the lowest accumulated mileage you can realistically afford

Last edited by IamSMC; 05-31-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
The low mile expert might be Scott Sheply. I think he still has the same tank of gas that came with his car.
You funny

I don't have a low mile car, however I have only put 3,000 miles on my car in the last 7 years

Mr Mellr (yes I spelled your last name incorrectly as you did mine), how many miles are on your 16-17 year old car? Must be 70 -80,000 by now, right
Old 05-30-2013, 04:07 AM
AiRick
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

How is this for low mileage 11 miles per year average ! http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Many apologies Mr. Shepley.
El Gaupo is in the mid 30s.
Give me a shout, we need to drive each others cars for a laugh soon.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that a 17 year old car that is driven somewhat regularly does not suffer from the same drying of rubber hoses and gaskets as a car that is not driven (like sat for 6 years). I believe that by using the car, the oil circulates and thus lubes the items that tend to be a problem if they dry out as these items absorb enough of the oil to stay supple. I read somewhere that even the dreaded IMS failures on the H20 cars is more common in Garage Queens and much less common in well used and even tracked cars.

Based on that, I would not buy a car that has sat for a long time. I believe even museums and collectors start and many times drive the cars. I seem to recall that Leno has people that do that for his huge collection...

Caveat, this is all based on second hand knowledge from magazines, forums and mechanics; so sharing what I've been lead to believe as good advice.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by AiRick
How is this for low mileage 11 miles per year average ! http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Somebody had some self control. I couldn't have done that. I would have driven it. Now a museum piece. I actually think it is a waste of a great car.

Quick Reply: Dangers of a low mileage Twin Turbo