Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member/owner of 993 TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think that plastic bit fails often in turbos, I seem to remember a few threads in the 993 NA section about replacing those (not sure if it's the same as for our turbos)...

The fan belt is a pain, there's a bunch of threads on it, there are some tricks to getting them on. Some have had to modify the AC bracket to make it easier to do. You need a 12 point tool to hold the alternator shaft - I made one out of a vw tool - https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499. There's also a pulley 'upgrade' for early cars.

You need to figure out how to use the 'search' feature my friend...
also check out www.p-car.com, and www.pcarworkshop.com there's good diy sections on both sites.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
I don't think that plastic bit fails often in turbos, I seem to remember a few threads in the 993 NA section about replacing those (not sure if it's the same as for our turbos)...

The fan belt is a pain, there's a bunch of threads on it, there are some tricks to getting them on. Some have had to modify the AC bracket to make it easier to do. You need a 12 point tool to hold the alternator shaft - I made one out of a vw tool - https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499. There's also a pulley 'upgrade' for early cars.

You need to figure out how to use the 'search' feature my friend...
also check out www.p-car.com, and www.pcarworkshop.com there's good diy sections on both sites.

Excellent! Thanks for the links.

Yes, I made th epsot about my problem, and soon enough, I started to search and found threads about the pulley/halves update (TSB by Porsche), about the tools, etc etc. Also found the SIMPLE MOD for the A/C compressor as well.

I will have to order few belts , shims and other stuff to get back the 911 TT back to the road asap
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM
luizinholeao
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dear Diego,
Congrats for the beautiful car!
Where are you from? South America?
I am Brazilian, and my 97 originally dont have the lambdas as well, i think it is a feature in the ROW models... Dont be affraid!
Cheers!
Luiz Leao
Curitiba - Brazil
Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by luizinholeao
Dear Diego,
Congrats for the beautiful car!
Where are you from? South America?
I am Brazilian, and my 97 originally dont have the lambdas as well, i think it is a feature in the ROW models... Dont be affraid!
Cheers!
Luiz Leao
Curitiba - Brazil
Hola Luis!

Thanks. I'm from Peru. Is your 993 a TT or what model it is?

Believe it or not this is the only 993 TT in my country, only two were oficially imported at the time but the other wa sold to Spain among with a Lotus Caterham Super Seven when the ship arrived to the shore while unloading the container/cars, they felt and sank in the sea...not sure if they recovered or what. Then there are 2-3 more 993's but are C2 and one RS (very collectable).

Best,

-Diego
Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 PM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck passing State emission testing !
Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C4S993
Good luck passing State emission testing !
No problem donw here, they never inspect that part

I just got the factory born data of my car and are listed a bunch of options, some are in germany language but I already found a Porsch code option list that describe each number.

The first number and option of the whole list of my car is the "150" which means:

150 No Catalyst

It also Hvae the X50 option to 430CV
Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Hello board,

any chance to know what this reservoir of Pentosin CHF11 S is for?? I have the rear(engine bay area) Pentosin reservoir (almost dry) and the front one (front hood/bonnet) it's full and almost spitting fluid while I open it.

Checked my service/owner book but it doens't mention or show this tiny reservoir in my car, just the rear one.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Front on is for the clutch. The rear one is for the power steering.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DiegoR
the front one (front hood/bonnet) it's full and almost spitting fluid while I open it.
yours looks fine but if it is spilling/overflowing, it's usually a symptom of your clutch slave cylinder failing (it gets high pressure from the rear steering/pump to assist the clutch and when the slave fails, the high pressure side pressurizes the front reservoir).
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
yours looks fine but if it is spilling/overflowing, it's usually a symptom of your clutch slave cylinder failing (it gets high pressure from the rear steering/pump to assist the clutch and when the slave fails, the high pressure side pressurizes the front reservoir).

Thanks for the advise as well LexVan.

BasalSkull, do you happen to know where can I source (web store) this part besides going to a Porsch dealer? I wan to keep my car in optimal/factory specs so if this is one of those thigns Inee to change right now, I will do it.

Appreciate the help.

-Diego

EDIT: If this is the correct P/N -price for my particular 993tt...and heart attack may visit me soon....http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/r...Slave+Cylinder

Last edited by DiegoR; 05-30-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past, when I've purchased and older car, such as my 993TT, I've had all the hoses and belts replaced, as well as the plugs, distributor and sometimes plug wires. This includes replacing the turbo/intercooler hoses; mine looked fine but under full throttle/boost, they leaked through the tiniest holes! You might also want to replace MAF. I had my 993TT dyno tested before and after doing the above and I gained over 20HP!

Given the condition of some rubber bits that you've described, and your perception of low power, I think your car is a prime candidate for such a tuneup.

Also, if your car has a history of throwing belts, you might want to have the pulleys checked. Mine threw belts and we discovered that the bottom pulley had a small dent in it. Replaced the pulley and the belts have stayed on...
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

BasalSkull, do you happen to know where can I source (web store) this part besides going to a Porsch dealer? I wan to keep my car in optimal/factory specs so if this is one of those thigns Inee to change right now, I will do it.

EDIT: If this is the correct P/N -price for my particular 993tt...and heart attack may visit me soon....http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/r...Slave+Cylinder
don't know the part number but the unit in your link looks correct, the price is about right too.
These are a real pain to replace, there's a number of threads on the topic...
If you end up doing this, you should replace the accumulator too. It's up to you but if the clutch feels okay and front reservoir is not overflowing, I would leave it, it's not one those things you want to do unless you have to, and you're hearing this from a guy that does lots of unnecessary things...
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Bgoldey
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW-

Hergesheimer's did mine.
993-116-237-52 Slave $948
Accumulator $178
Fluid $28
Labor $468
$1623 Total

Sunset probably the cheapest source.

It makes a huge mess when the slave overflows.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pstoppani
In the past, when I've purchased and older car, such as my 993TT, I've had all the hoses and belts replaced, as well as the plugs, distributor and sometimes plug wires. This includes replacing the turbo/intercooler hoses; mine looked fine but under full throttle/boost, they leaked through the tiniest holes! You might also want to replace MAF. I had my 993TT dyno tested before and after doing the above and I gained over 20HP!

Given the condition of some rubber bits that you've described, and your perception of low power, I think your car is a prime candidate for such a tuneup.

Also, if your car has a history of throwing belts, you might want to have the pulleys checked. Mine threw belts and we discovered that the bottom pulley had a small dent in it. Replaced the pulley and the belts have stayed on...
I'm always buying old cars, not sure why But i Know many things are worn and need to be replaced. Vacuum lines/hoses and belts, besides fitlers are in my top priority.

About the MAF, you are correct. I have cleaned some BMW MAF's in the past with day & night behavior (and some I have changed and improved overall response).

I checke dmy 993tt MAF and looks clean, didn't try to clean it yt, I will see if I change it later.

About the alternator belt, I'm not sure if myc ar was ever updated witht he newer TSB Porsche released to avoid throwing the belts...here are some pics of mine, coudl you guys tell me from these if I have th eold design or the updated alternator pulley??

Thanks,

Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like your Clutch Slave is failing. If it is you could do the NA Slave conversion.

Hello board,

any chance to know what this reservoir of Pentosin CHF11 S is for?? I have the rear(engine bay area) Pentosin reservoir (almost dry) and the front one (front hood/bonnet) it's full and almost spitting fluid while I open it.

Checked my service/owner book but it doens't mention or show this tiny reservoir in my car, just the rear one.

Thanks

Quick Reply: New member/owner of 993 TT