Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NE1 Know this Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 PM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car fax is clean. The salesman I talked to seemed surprised to learn what I had learned. He checked it out and then called me and confirmed work had been done.

Still not sure the extent of the damage but at $93k, I would want a car that hadn't been painted.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PiB993
Out of curiosity does the repair/crash not show up on the carfax?
If damage was paid out of pocket.

And if no insurance co issued a claim check, then there's no insurance co that was required to report it.

However, a proper PPI will always reveal "paint" because it's almost impossible to replicate a factory paint job.

Always remember, a Car Fax is always a good starting point, but can't be solely replied upon.

Originally Posted by PiB993
Seems like there are lots of Turbo's on the market now.
Because spring is upon us...
Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcoles
Still not sure the extent of the damage but at $93k, I would want a car that hadn't been painted.
At $93k, definitely no major damage or major paint, however, if all body panels are original with no breaks in seam points, between body panels or cutting & welding of body panels, then paint touch up only is within reason on a $93k car.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

A clean carfax really doesn't mean anything as the above poster states. Sometimes even the "best" people will dummy up when selling a car, shamefully so. Even Porsche dealers will sell a car with a clean carfax, possibly knowing that a car has been sprayed, nearly impossible to prove in either case but "Caveat emptor" always applies. There will be a trail, hopefully one would find out beforehand as you did in this instance and not after. When you buy an older car "as is" that's what you get. Always have a thorough PPI including paint, no stone unturned, I am sure that Jamie would agree, as he discovered with the car on this thread and maybe other cars... most cars with some miles on the odometer will have a story of some sort. You may never find out. It does not necessarily mean that it is a "bad" car though.... it really depends on what you want from the car.

Now you need to make a decision....

Quick Reply: NE1 Know this Car?