RUF BTR experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Hi,

Mine is narrow body. Here is a web site for my car. Enjoy. IMHO, the Turbo S tail looks/works much better than the standard 993 TT tail.

https://sites.google.com/site/993rufbtr/

This is what I posted in another thread:

This particular BTR has the built-in roll cage that most others do not. That is only done in Pfaffenhausen, and involves a LOT of work (both structural and cosmetic).

While Alois prefers narrow body for better aero-dynamics he converts whatever cars the customers sent him. I am only aware of 2 narrow-body BTRs (this and mine).

As for clutch, BTRs almost by definition, starts life as a NA car, thus (unlike the 993TTs) no hydraulic assists in the clutch, so the BTR clutches are stiff. I am used to it but it is not traffic jam friendly.

Performance-wise, the Turbo Rs will dominate the BTR (twin turbo, AWD etc.) but both are really fun to drive.

CP
Thanks for the great information Pong .. it confirms several visual clues for me about the obvious quality and design cohesiveness of this AG coupe and also some of the details on Sid's Cab. Also interesting is, the Cab's clutch is stiff and quite different in feel to my 993's stock NA clutch as well .. and I thought it reminded me of my 1987 911 Cab that I bought new in Seattle which took some time to get used to .. and to be honest, I really liked it.

Your car is beautiful ... happy to see you still have it.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:17 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Hey CP

Can you tell me a bit more about the titanium rods ?

I know Ruf used to sell them but AFAIK he is the only one who has ever fitted them to turbo Porsches, most people seem to think they are unsuitable for turbos and don't provide must benefit - whats your information/take on them ?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:16 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Hey CP

Can you tell me a bit more about the titanium rods ?

I know Ruf used to sell them but AFAIK he is the only one who has ever fitted them to turbo Porsches, most people seem to think they are unsuitable for turbos and don't provide must benefit - whats your information/take on them ?
I have not driven a 993tt extensively so I have no comparison to compare. Personally, the value is more as a topic of conversation rather than scientifically documented performance differential etc.

Somewhere in my file I have a Ruf write up on the virtues of titanium rods. However, I believe that it covers the normal benefits such as high heat tolerance, superior strengths, really light weight and low rotational mass etc. I think the benefits are metallurgical, and not really design/form etc. However, knowing that titanium for what it is, I trust that it will be more durable, as a minimum.

I will try to find that write up, scan it and post here if I have a chance.

CP
Old 02-02-2013, 05:12 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Production numbers

Last edited by V; 02-02-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:57 PM
jonjmay
Rennlist Member

That black cabriolet was originally built for me in '97. It is a VERY special car and I would love to know its whereabouts. Iworked very closely with Luis Ruf on the construction of this car. The front is a 993 GT2 front and the tail is a 993 turbo s tail. The roll bar was custom built and leather wrapped. Late on I will post a full picture of the car. I sold it in 2003 and have regretted it ever since.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jonjmay
That black cabriolet was originally built for me in '97. It is a VERY special car and I would love to know its whereabouts. Iworked very closely with Luis Ruf on the construction of this car. The front is a 993 GT2 front and the tail is a 993 turbo s tail. The roll bar was custom built and leather wrapped. Late on I will post a full picture of the car. I sold it in 2003 and have regretted it ever since.
PM sent.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jonjmay
Look up Sid here by PM-ing his username - 600RR. I'm sure that he will love to learn about the history (as would I).
Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Patrick,

Car is here but rarely driven. Sits under car cover and tethered to a battery tender for months on end. Really sad about it. If I can find someone who appreciates it for the car that it is, I will sell it so someone else cam enjoy it like it should be. So far no takers, mainly because of the high miles.

CP
ahhhhhhhhhhhh i suspect that Javi must have seen this post a few months ago.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:11 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^
Believe it or not that post had nothing to do with calling up Pong. Otherwise, I would've called him a lot sooner than I did. The BTR called me!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 PM
jonjmay
Rennlist Member

The black 993 BTR cabriolet was my car. With some assistance from Bruce Anderson I had it custom built by Luis Ruf in 1997. It is a wide body, has a GT2 front nose, turbo S tail, rear seat delete, custom chassis stiffening, custom roll bar and the aforementioned rear brake cooling ducts. An amazing car and I would love to know the whereabouts as I never should of sold it. Jon
Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 PM
jonjmay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Actually, it has both .. the upper front bumper has two elongated vents with full radius at both ends, backed with black anodized screening and the rear quarters have these vents (older picture before the current owner bought the car and cleaned it up) you can just see them forward of the wheel arch at rocker level ...
Hi,
This is definitely my car that I had custom built by Luis Ruf in 1997. It has a GT2 nose, a turbo S tail, wide body, custom roll bar, rear seat delete, boost guage and custom rear brake duct vents. I would love to know the whereabouts as I never should of sold the car. Very special, very fast.

Jon May
Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 PM
jonjmay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Look up Sid here by PM-ing his username - 600RR. I'm sure that he will love to learn about the history (as would I).
I am still a rookie on this website so not sure I know how to navigate. Any leads you could give me to contact on 97 Ruf 993 BTR cab would be appreciated. Would love to see my car again. It all started out because I wanted a turbo cab but the factory didn't offer one. In conversation Bruce Anderson suggest I reach out to Ruf, which I did, Together Luis and I worked out a plan to build this very special car. She was designed with a GT2 nose, a Turbo S tail, wide body, rear seat delete custom chassis bracing, custom roll bar and rear brake ducts. The car was ordered and delivered to me in CT and shipped immediately to Automotive Associates who did all of the body work. Then per Luis' instructions the car was sent to Gulf performance in Pompano Florida where Luis sent one of his mechanics from Germany to do all of the brake, suspension and engine work. I remember the day Luis called me to tell me she was ready. It was a Sunday at about 8pm. I couldn't believe Luis could be calling from Germany in the middle of the night. He wasn't he was in California at the Rennsport reunion. Very fond memories of the car. WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HER BACK.

Jon May
Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ I'm pretty sure Mr. Ruf's first name is Alois. You need to send a private message to 600RR if you want to discuss this car.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:29 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
^^^ I'm pretty sure Mr. Ruf's first name is Alois. You need to send a private message to 600RR if you want to discuss this car.
In the 80's Alois Ruf was named Luis in many articles. So those who personally know him may still call him Luis to this day.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:50 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ well, there you go .. learn something new every day and the way the German's pronounce it, I can see how it could translate like that.

Quick Reply: RUF BTR experience