Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUF BTR experience

Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
^That's a great looking car. I've only got photos of one other 993-based car with those rear brake cooling ducts in the lower rocker panel.

The old front valence is interesting as well, especially with the exposed stainless steel bolts and front lip that runs the full length of the lower bumper cover. Is it documented as having come from RUF that way? Do you have the contact info of the owner? I'd love to get in touch and add it to the registry I maintain.
The owner is researching the vin through RUF currently. Part of the problem with this car was it came through a divorce settlement and the wife that ended up with it had no background information. I'm fairly certain that under all that exposed hardware and screening is the original RUF vertical bumper and that at some point some previous owner added those "improvements" to keep debris from getting into the brakes and coolers. I'll let him know you're interested in contacting him .. he's on this forum.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D. Morris... Nice
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

BTW ... I keep looking at the Aventurine BTR for sale now at Sloan and wondering if an aftermarket RS decklid with the larger opening on the underside would clear the intercooler ... I guess the question would be ... if you put a standard narrow body engine lid on a BTR without any grill/tail assembly in place, would it clear the intercooler or are the intercoolers mounted to far aft?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
BTW ... I keep looking at the Aventurine BTR for sale now at Sloan and wondering if an aftermarket RS decklid with the larger opening on the underside would clear the intercooler ... I guess the question would be ... if you put a standard narrow body engine lid on a BTR without any grill/tail assembly in place, would it clear the intercooler or are the intercoolers mounted to far aft?
The only proper way for you to determine this would to buy the car and try the RS spoiler... and I am greatly in favor of this idea. We need another Ruf car in the bay area! Personally, I'd try to keep any Ruf car true to its roots. Keep it "as delivered", or (as in my case) just add every damn thing that's in the Ruf catalog. Go for it.

<edit> BTW, I've met Sid and seen his wonderful black, wide-bodied cab, BTR. Beautiful. I confess to missing some of the details you've pointed out. We must do another Ruf get together soon. Pong? Kevin? Sid?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The only proper way for you to determine this would to buy the car and try the RS spoiler... and I am greatly in favor of this idea. We need another Ruf car in the bay area! Personally, I'd try to keep any Ruf car true to its roots. Keep it "as delivered", or (as in my case) just add every damn thing that's in the Ruf catalog. Go for it.

<edit> BTW, I've met Sid and seen his wonderful black, wide-bodied cab, BTR. Beautiful. I confess to missing some of the details you've pointed out. We must do another Ruf get together soon. Pong? Kevin? Sid?
Steve ... you are a very predictable man and I completely respect your respect for this car But ... I'd say my inner voice completely agrees with you, this car is so unique ... narrow body with the stock front end, et.al. and then that insane built in rollbar so neatly covered in as-stock-as it-can-look leather ... the only thing that bothers me is the scale of the stock TT tail ... and don't get me wrong, I love the stock TT tail design, just not on a narrow body car. But your right ... that's the way it was delivered and the entire car is pretty much intact from RUF delivery .. at least it sure looks to be and that should be respected. I guess if any changes were to be made, you would want to save and preserve everything taken off and only do things that were completely reversible.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

JPP,

I'm not so sure that "predictability" is a desirable trait, even if true to the mark. Just a thought... the Turbo "S" tail is not quite as wide as the standard TT tail, and looks quite right on NB cars. Pong's BTR has the "S" tail and looks just right. I believe it was delivered with that tail.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ca993twin
JPP,

I'm not so sure that "predictability" is a desirable trait, even if true to the mark. Just a thought... the Turbo "S" tail is not quite as wide as the standard TT tail, and looks quite right on NB cars. Pong's BTR has the "S" tail and looks just right. I believe it was delivered with that tail.
Hmm ... well, that could be a nice option ... and some Aerokit II front splitters and Turbo S brake ducts painted to match? I'll need to win the lottery and get some of that bulk bubble wrap to store the stock parts in so they don't get damaged ...
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^BTW ... do you have any pictures of Pong's BTR you could post or share? It's a narrow body like the one at Sloan?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ Nevermind ... I found a few. Nice looking car and you're right, the Turbo S tail works well on it.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
^^^BTW ... do you have any pictures of Pong's BTR you could post or share? It's a narrow body like the one at Sloan?
Hi,

Mine is narrow body. Here is a web site for my car. Enjoy. IMHO, the Turbo S tail looks/works much better than the standard 993 TT tail.

https://sites.google.com/site/993rufbtr/

This is what I posted in another thread:

Folks,

Sorry I'm late to the party. I have not been around this forum much lately.

I believe world wide there are 18 Ruf VIN BTRs. I am not sure even one in in the US. Including this car, I personally know of 5 BTR conversions (including mine), 4 here and one in New Zealand. Although that one might have been totaled by now. There are probably more Turbo-Rs in the world than BTRs.

This particular BTR has the built-in roll cage that most others do not. That is only done in Pfaffenhausen, and involves a LOT of work (both structural and cosmetic). My BTR has almost everything Ruf offers, including titanium innerds, but no roll cage.

While Alois prefers narrow body for better aero-dynamics he converts whatever cars the customers sent him. I am only aware of 2 narrow-body BTRs (this and mine).

While there are multiple ways to get a car converted (Ruf tech here, Wessiach and or Ruf Center in N America) etc. I read that Pfaffenhausen conversion is the gold standard, because of the QA/QC and rigorous standards Alois insists on with any work done in his Pfaffenhausen shop. One example, in Pfaffenhausen, they bench test/dyno/tune the engine after rebuild (I watched them do that to a CTR engine when I was there in 2007). I am sure they won't do that when a Ruf tech comes here. Not sure if Wessiach or Dallas do that here either. This bit of tidbits came directly from Ruf in Pfaffenhausen themselves.

As for clutch, BTRs almost by definition, starts life as a NA car, thus (unlike the 993TTs) no hydraulic assists in the clutch, so the BTR clutches are stiff. I am used to it but it is not traffic jam friendly.

Performance-wise, the Turbo Rs will dominate the BTR (twin turbo, AWD etc.) but both are really fun to drive.

This particular car is attractive in these areas:
(1) Built-in Roll cage. That is truly rare.
(2) AG Ruf sports seats. They do not look like Recaro A-8s to me, but still great seats.
(3) Ruf green gauges. Those are rare as well. I did not get them until November 2012.

I don't know much. These are my 2 cents on the BTRs. Enjoy.

CP

Last edited by CP; 02-02-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very cool car cp!
There is another BTR here in NY, popped for sale last year. Almost bought it, damn.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice summary Pong, thanks. How are you and your car doing? Glad that you still have it!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Hey CP, I enjoyed reading your site about your awesome BTR, great work

This bit below, I don't think is correct ?

The A8 was never a factory option AFAIK, it was tuner fitment only and a damn nice and now very rare seat now days ?

The Recaro A-8 race seats are Porsche seat options for the 993GT2s in Europe

I think most 3GT2s are fitted with Pole Positions these days but the factory option for recliners was the bog standard 993 recliner of the day....

Last edited by TB993tt; 02-02-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Texas993
Nice summary Pong, thanks. How are you and your car doing? Glad that you still have it!
Patrick,

Car is here but rarely driven. Sits under car cover and tethered to a battery tender for months on end. Really sad about it. If I can find someone who appreciates it for the car that it is, I will sell it so someone else cam enjoy it like it should be. So far no takers, mainly because of the high miles. As I have no pressure to sell, I'm just procrastinating.

Personally I am doing quite well. Switched job 18 months ago and is really busy. Also developing a business on the side. That looks really good. Now in the process of looking for project funding, finding that hard to come by. All in all. life is good. Very good.

CP
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Hey CP, I enjoyed reading your site about your awesome BTR, great work

This bit below, I don't think is correct ?

The A8 was never a factory option AFAIK, it was tuner fitment only and a damn nice and now very rare seat now days ?

The Recaro A-8 race seats are Porsche seat options for the 993GT2s in Europe

I think most 3GT2s are fitted with Pole Positions now days but the factory option for recliners was the bog standard 993 recliner of the day....
Regarding the A8 version etc. the information came from the original owner in Germany. He may have meant that is Ruf's option, not a Porsche option. I think the obvious mistake is the reference to GT2. I will try t o correct that once I relearn how to work the web site.

Thanks.

CP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RUF BTR experience