Sponsored by:

Can't put this off any longer...my car is a total loss

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Can't put this off any longer...my car is a total loss

I lost the car to hurricane Sandy. Had it parked at work in Kearny and the whole town went under water. The Passaic river crested something like 12 ft above peak. The garage it was in was 300 yards from the river edge.
Water made it up to the ebrake and the adjuster said anything over the rocker panels and its a total.
My brother lost his 04' turbo cab as well.

It's been tough, like losing a dog, but certainly many in the area lost so much more, so I have to temper myself. It's still in the garage there and I cant stop myself from going out to look a few times a day, like a body lying in state, watching daily as the fabspeed tips rust and the sport seats grow spots of mold.

So I've been spending the last two weeks, after it was officially totaled acquiring stock replacements and switching out the carbon three spoke wheel, aluminum ebrake and shifter, strut brace and trying to get as much Marcus carbon off as I could. I've learned more about the interior nuts and bolts in the last week than in the entire time I've owned it.

There are still good parts on the car if anybody would like to pick it's carcass. Euro rear lights, red belts, aluminum gauges, black powder coated 996 hollows w polished lip, rear parcel tray. Please pm me or email me at joshepst@gmail.com. These are parts I don't have replacements for and anybody wanting would have to make a swap and do the labor both ways on my premises. Would just be a shame to waste them. We can talk. The car will probably be there another week.

So r.i.p. my 36k mile, no oil burning, turbos always properly cooled down, sport seat equipped, s front bumper with fog ducts, bilstein hd and euro spring, plus everything above, 97' turbo. Was my dream car since high school, was set up just to my liking and I had 8 great years with it.

I know I may never find a direct replacement, at least not without looking for a long, long time, but i am saving the parts i took off including the unmounted rh 3.6 wheels, just in case. I don't know if I'll go the .2 gt3 route at some point instead. Probably not going to do anything right away anyway. I did (or will shortly) get agreed value for the car so I can at least avoid the fight with insurance. The amount is for what it's was worth although these cars are appreciating rapidly.

What a shame.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM
ian 993gt2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont panic my 993 tt friend same thing happend to me up to the gear shifter but not all is lost believe me! you will need to replace a lot of electronics every thing under the seats and every thing under the hood ie alarm hi fi ecu abs and fuse box just to be safe (under the hood and engine cover) and a stipdown to dry everything out the seats still work fine it cost me 11,000 euros some parts new some used well worth it!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default sorry to hear

sorry to hear about the loss of your 993tt buddy....

Originally Posted by midcont
I lost the car to hurricane Sandy. Had it parked at work in Kearny and the whole town went under water. The Passaic river crested something like 12 ft above peak. The garage it was in was 300 yards from the river edge.
Water made it up to the ebrake and the adjuster said anything over the rocker panels and its a total.
My brother lost his 04' turbo cab as well.

It's been tough, like losing a dog, but certainly many in the area lost so much more, so I have to temper myself. It's still in the garage there and I cant stop myself from going out to look a few times a day, like a body lying in state, watching daily as the fabspeed tips rust and the sport seats grow spots of mold.

So I've been spending the last two weeks, after it was officially totaled acquiring stock replacements and switching out the carbon three spoke wheel, aluminum ebrake and shifter, strut brace and trying to get as much Marcus carbon off as I could. I've learned more about the interior nuts and bolts in the last week than in the entire time I've owned it.

There are still good parts on the car if anybody would like to pick it's carcass. Euro rear lights, red belts, aluminum gauges, black powder coated 996 hollows w polished lip, rear parcel tray. Please pm me or email me at joshepst@gmail.com. These are parts I don't have replacements for and anybody wanting would have to make a swap and do the labor both ways on my premises. Would just be a shame to waste them. We can talk. The car will probably be there another week.

So r.i.p. my 36k mile, no oil burning, turbos always properly cooled down, sport seat equipped, s front bumper with fog ducts, bilstein hd and euro spring, plus everything above, 97' turbo. Was my dream car since high school, was set up just to my liking and I had 8 great years with it.

I know I may never find a direct replacement, at least not without looking for a long, long time, but i am saving the parts i took off including the unmounted rh 3.6 wheels, just in case. I don't know if I'll go the .2 gt3 route at some point instead. Probably not going to do anything right away anyway. I did (or will shortly) get agreed value for the car so I can at least avoid the fight with insurance. The amount is for what it's was worth although these cars are appreciating rapidly.

What a shame.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 PM
ian 993gt2
Rennlist Member

i almost forgot CHANGE ALL THE OIL,S but i started on mine the same day i didnt leave it for two weeks
Old 12-02-2012, 05:55 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ian 993gt2
i almost forgot CHANGE ALL THE OIL,S but i started on mine the same day i didnt leave it for two weeks
This was brackish water, so no telling what will go wrong down the line. I don't doubt it will be a rebuilt salvage, but I don't think I'd want to be the owner of it.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Josh,

That sucks. Cars can be replaced. Find the next 993 Turbo and move on. If you ever decide to sell the RH 3.6s let me know.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:06 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 104 Posts

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Im in Jersey - and i had damage as well but my 993 4s was safe. If you want to get rid of the rims - let me know. Losing that car is horrible.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midcont
This was brackish water, so no telling what will go wrong down the line. I don't doubt it will be a rebuilt salvage, but I don't think I'd want to be the owner of it.
The perfect track car build...

And since this thread involves water damage, anyone wanna touch this $45k 993tt:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3448504170.html
No affiliation...
Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 PM
993 770
Pro

Wow, my condolences. I went the .2 GT3 route, and I love it, but it's not the same (and still depreciating). I'll add another 993 TT sooner than later, but that will be a garage queen.. All I need is a garage!

Good luck no matter what direction you go.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Truly a bummer! Sorry to hear about the loss, but as other have mentioned: there are plenty of other enthusiasts out there that treat their cars like you treated yours. Eventually one of those will come up for sale and you'll be grinnin' from ear to ear again!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear about that, josh. sucks. don't know if you remember, but those RH wheels came off my c4s way back when.....
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

OH NO! That **** cray!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to hear......... Most if not all of us on this forum is attach to our cars
Old 12-05-2012, 06:09 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 82 Posts

So sorry to hear about your loss. But about those sport seats, what are the chances you could swap them out with non sports seats and reupholster them when you find your next 993TT?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 PM
O.B.1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your loss !

Quick Reply: Can't put this off any longer...my car is a total loss