Sponsored by:

Texas Mile/ Intercooler build

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 AM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Texas Mile/ Intercooler build

Inspired by recent intercooler threads I decided to build an intercooler. The challenge was to complete before attending the Texas Mile. It turned into a 3 week project that kicked my ***.
I used 3 997.2 cores to create a full engine bay cooler. In order to do this I used a N/A center section so the throttle body was facing the front of the car this gave me the space needed.
I designed the cooler using solid works and built a to scale foam model to insure fitment.
After some tweaks, I machined all the sections of the tanks from billet. i added a grill looking piece to the inlet and outlet of the cores. This part is designed to remove the dead space between the tubes by adding a tapered grill. The grill also provided strength holding all the cores together. You can see the part in one of the photos. The inlet tank has 6 vanes welded to the inside to help turn the air in to the core.

I'm currently using a cone filter, but plan on building a filter box and the inlet will come up to the fresh air. Almost the stock location. i will also put 3 fans underneath the cooler. Based on data from my stock cooler and fan arrangement this is a huge help fighting off the heat soak.

As far as efficiency of the new cooler, I compared old data logs that had the same ambient temps with pulls up to 140. This cooler run 25 degrees cooler on average. I need to do more testing but running the car up to 190 i picked up 15 degrees over ambient and this was enough to keep motronic from pulling timing.

I have more pics

As far as the Mile, this was my first time and I didn't have a roll bar so my speed was limited to 190. I didn't know how fast I would be. I ran a 165 at the half and a 193 at the mile. I had to lift to try to stay under 190. I got in trouble for going over the limit. Next year I will have a roll bar and I don't see a problem breaking 200.

Last edited by tacker; 04-15-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

dang
Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 AM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats BOSS right there....

Applaud your efforts, looks very nice and well put. What mods do you have on your 993?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Raymond Go
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice intercooler
Old 10-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Fantastic...both in your fabrication skills and in hitting 193 in a 993!!! Damn impressive. Do you have a listing of the engine mods you have? or an est on HP that beast makes?

Kudos to you!!! Can't wait to see you break 200!

Chad
Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM
sonny1
Banned

Tacker,
Great job,congrats,you should put the S spoiler intakes to good use, directing ram air straight to the turbos,in my set up I'm 8 degrees colder than yours,that may explain it, of course they may be other variables. I myself did 178 at the 1/2 mile, I'm sure you can go way up there,keep the good work! If I can be of help you can PM me anytime.,cheers,Sonny1.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 993TT

Would lighter wheels be good for a couple Mph a those speeds?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

That is an awesome IC! The quality of your maching and the finish work is very nice. Would you sell the drawings for the end tanks and other bits required to assemble this? Also, how much clearance is there between the IC and the opening on the tail. I see you have an "S" tail. Is the opening the same size on the standard turbo tail? Great job and thanks for sharing.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of RUF bits, is that a Turbo R?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:09 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for feed back,

Fantastic...both in your fabrication skills and in hitting 193 in a 993!!! Damn impressive. Do you have a listing of the engine mods you have? or an est on HP that beast makes?

Kudos to you!!! Can't wait to see you break 200!
Chad

Chad, the engine build summary 3.8 mahle,twin plug,evo cams,mechanical rockers,TI hats,hi rev springs,flame ring,welded heads,all arp hardware,pauter rods,gt3 oil pump, shuffle pin,windage relief,oiling mods to crank,larger TB, 18 g turbos, cat delete, muffler delete (for the Mile) Water/meth injection.

200 shouldn't be a problem, the car is full weight, full tank of gas, passenger seat,spare tire,tools and compressor,

The car is Protomotive live tuned,

I'm thinking about changing the gearing to a gt2 gear ratios with some beefier axles. BTW i'm still running 4wd.

Tacker,
Great job,congrats,you should put the S spoiler intakes to good use, directing ram air straight to the turbos,in my set up I'm 8 degrees colder than yours,that may explain it, of course they may be other variables. I myself did 178 at the 1/2 mile, I'm sure you can go way up there,keep the good work! If I can be of help you can PM me anytime.,cheers,Sonny1.

178 in the half is very impressive, I had traction issues, I was trying for 170 but couldn't get there.may be next year.
The car felt very stable at 190. I was surprised.

That is an awesome IC! The quality of your maching and the finish work is very nice. Would you sell the drawings for the end tanks and other bits required to assemble this? Also, how much clearance is there between the IC and the opening on the tail. I see you have an "S" tail. Is the opening the same size on the standard turbo tail? Great job and thanks for sharing.

Scott, I would consider selling the intercooler design,but prefer to sell it as a complete kit ready to install. the welding/ machining and NA center section. With instructions. First I need to data log and prove efficiency. I know basal Skull has done allot of testing but he is running 2 cores.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Seriously impressive -
Old 10-31-2012, 04:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Your car must be at a 600+ HP level. Ruf claims that a stock bodied Turbo R has a top speed of 205mph, and several Turbo R owners have seen that demonstrated. The Turbo R is rated at 490HP. While I don't doubt the veracity, I have a bit of trouble making that math work.

Have you made any aero mods to your car? A-pillar fairings? aero mirrors (or no mirrors)? remove the wipers, front and rear? At 200+ MPH, these are quite important.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Your car must be at a 600+ HP level. Ruf claims that a stock bodied Turbo R has a top speed of 205mph, and several Turbo R owners have seen that demonstrated. The Turbo R is rated at 490HP. While I don't doubt the veracity, I have a bit of trouble making that math work.

Have you made any aero mods to your car? A-pillar fairings? aero mirrors (or no mirrors)? remove the wipers, front and rear? At 200+ MPH, these are quite important.
What is the top speed of the Ruf Turbo R in a mile?

Agreed, the aero bits will help.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Seriously impressive -
+1!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:41 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The extra oomph comes from the car being in Texas. Duh. LOL.

What type of machine are you running those end tanks on? I was just going over an intercooler design yesterday as that is one of the last things on the list. It looks like we can pull this off on a three axis with a flip and indicate? or did you have the fourth axis?

Quick Reply: Texas Mile/ Intercooler build